Very Good Discussion About the One Party System On College Campuses

Kathy58

Kathy
Oct 1, 2013
Texas
Watching Mark Levine and his guest is the author of the book, "The Breakdown of Higher Education," Professor John Ellis from California. His point is that college campuses have become very liberal and anyone whose politics may differ are shunned, and ostracized. It explains much of what is currently taking place, IMO.

I attended college beginning at age 47, earning a BS in Applied Sociology, and two Masters, Sociology and Forensic Psychology. Being an Independent , I experienced this behavior firsthand; I think I was perhaps the only one in the entire Sociology/ Psychology departments.

Watching Mark Levine and his guest is the author of the book, "The Breakdown of Higher Education," Professor John Ellis from California. His point is that college campuses have become very liberal and anyone whose politics may differ are shunned, and ostracized. It explains much of what is currently taking place, IMO.

I attended college beginning at age 47, earning a BS in Applied Sociology, and two Masters, Sociology and Forensic Psychology. Being an Independent , I experienced this behavior firsthand; I think I was perhaps the only one in the entire Sociology/ Psychology departments.
In what ways? I mean if you had gone to college at 18 that would have been in the early 90's when openly gay people were probably still unusual on campus, but otherwise I am not sure how they are "more liberal"

In what ways? I mean if you had gone to college at 18 that would have been in the early 90's when openly gay people were probably still unusual on campus, but otherwise I am not sure how they are "more liberal"

Conservative views are not welcome, conservative speakers are uninvited from campus, students wearing Trump hats,shirts are attacked (had that happen at Texas State), etc.
Furthermore, a majority of the instructors are liberal and promote leftist opinions. Again ,I have first hand experience with this. Ellis made a great point when he remarked that campuses need diverse pov in order to keep them all in check. When only one opinion is allowed or encouraged, the campus becomes increasingly radical.

Conservative views are not welcome, conservative speakers are uninvited from campus, students wearing Trump hats,shirts are attacked (had that happen at Texas State), etc.
Furthermore, a majority of the instructors are liberal and promote leftist opinions. Again ,I have first hand experience with this. Ellis made a great point when he remarked that campuses need diverse pov in order to keep them all in check. When only one opinion is allowed or encouraged, the campus becomes increasingly radical.

Still not clear what you mean by leftest/liberal. If you are an ubber conservative, every place is likely to be left, but if you are ubber progressive, most places will seem to the right. I went to a tier 1 university and didn't find it to be particularly progressive/left. The students were probably on balance more to the left, but the professors were largely practical and pragmatic. They didn't have much use for broad generalities when it came to political stuff. You were expected to be able to talk specifics and your basis, but it didn't matter if it was left or right.

Still not clear what you mean by leftest/liberal. If you are an ubber conservative, every place is likely to be left, but if you are ubber progressive, most places will seem to the right. I went to a tier 1 university and didn't find it to be particularly progressive/left. The students were probably on balance more to the left, but the professors were largely practical and pragmatic. They didn't have much use for broad generalities when it came to political stuff. You were expected to be able to talk specifics and your basis, but it didn't matter if it was left or right.

When did you attend college? Frankly, I was shocked by the shift to the radical left on a Texas campus.
Diverse opposing views should be encouraged on a college campus, and it used to be. Not anymore on most.

The backbone of American Academe is a cadre of pusillanimous Vietnam Draft Dodgers, who went to college in the late 60's for as long as they could, in order to avoid the draft. They ended up staying on campus, becoming grad-assistant instructors, then ultimately professors and department heads.

Essentially none of them has ever had a Real Job, thus they have no real world experience or perspective.

The campus ethos reflects this unreality, and they are teaching our children and preparing them for life in our world.

Glad I'm too old to give a shit.

The backbone of American Academe is a cadre of pusillanimous Vietnam Draft Dodgers, who went to college in the late 60's for as long as they could, in order to avoid the draft. They ended up staying on campus, becoming grad-assistant instructors, then ultimately professors and department heads.

Essentially none of them has ever had a Real Job, thus they have no real world experience or perspective.

The campus ethos reflects this unreality, and they are teaching our children and preparing them for life in our world.

Glad I'm too old to give a shit.

I agree for the most part. I did meet many young people that were single parents who worked during the day and earned their Masters by attending classes at night. Good people only wanting the American dream, and I admire them.
OTOH, there were also people that trolled on their computers during class but would ask to copy my notes when mid-terms and finals grew close. Ummm, nope.
I did remark to the department chair (after "silent racism became a thing), that IMO, they created such ideology simply to justify their jobs.

Colleges haven't become "very liberal," they've become very Marxist/Leninist in their thinking.

College/universities have become extremely leftist over the past couple of decades-it's worse than ever. I attended university in the mid 2000's and while it was certainly left leaning when Karl Rove spoke at my (public) school there were people protesting-which is fine, that's their right-but there was no large movement to shut the event down. Nowadays there absolutely would be-and censoring free speech in a publicly funded place like that is extremely dangerous.

You should see the one party system at religious colleges

It's far from a one party system. I was accosted daily by the young republicans outside the student union.

Colleges haven't become "very liberal," they've become very Marxist/Leninist in their thinking.
Yes. Those colleges have collective farms

I was accosted daily by the young republicans outside the student union.

Did they physically assault you?

I was accosted daily by the young republicans outside the student union.

Did they physically assault you?
No, no!

They were pushier than Jehovah's witnesses the Friday be for quota is due though.

Forum List

Back