Vacation to Tuscany

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm planning to "give" my wife a Tuscan vacation for Christmas.

I will tentatively schedule air trips, an AirBnB apartment, and a rental car for three weeks in Tuscany.

The idea is NOT to make it a tourist-type vacation. Just go and live like an Italian for three weeks.

So...

Is there an airport where the car rentals might be most reasonable? I will fly anywhere, since I don't mind driving to my destination.

Anyone know of a particular town that might be nice as a base of operations?

Italy has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen. I'm amazed they don't have more car accidents there.

It has been a while since I drove in Italy, but my conclusion was just the opposite. In fact, driving around in Rome, the drivers were amazingly good at integrating with buses, trucks, motorcycles, motor scooters, bicycles, and pedestrians, with very few collisions. And of course NONE of the street layouts is a "grid," with roads taking off in all directions for no apparent reason other than the fact that it might have been a goat path two thousand years ago.

I think what the wife and I have decided on is, we are going to pick a desirable itinerary from Perillo Tours, duplicate it by rented car, then supplement it with a week or ten days in an AgriTurismo hotel. Looking forward to it. In May.

If you're staying in Tuscany I'd recommend Pisa because on the outskirts of the town there's fantastic villa's you can rent in the countryside of the mountains with spectacular views, pools etc and you're only a short taxi or bus ride into a nice historic town with the Leaning Tower Of Pisa, fantastic places to eat/drink and a nice port area (which also has an airport that's well connected to a lot of European Airports) - Bristol in the UK (either Easyjet or Ryanair) fly there for really cheap (about £40 return if you book at the right time).

Forum List

Back