V for Vendetta [2006, Film Review]

phoenyx

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Canada
I see that this film was mentioned back in 2006 when it came out, and some comments where made in this thread. However, the OP in the thread hadn't even yet seen the film, but was simply thinking of seeing it. After 10 years of the film being out, I believe it has become iconic. Below I explain why I feel this way.

The film was based on the graphic novel of the same name, which was written by Alan Moore and illustrated by David Lloyd. Alan started it in 1981, and I can't help but think that he may have been influenced by a film called Network, done in 1976. Anyway, I mention this background because of a real life group that was certainly inspired by V for Vendetta: a group called Anonymous. The connection is obvious in the Guy Fawkes masks they wear, not to mention the youtube video speeches they make, so reminiscent of the speech given by Hugo Weaving as V in the film.

The film also begins with what I believe are some of the best lines in a film that talks of both ideas of freedom and equality and those who strive to carry them out, as I mentioned in a previous film review:
**I have witnessed firsthand the power of ideas.
I've seen people kill in the name of them...... and die defending them.
But you cannot kiss an idea...... cannot touch it or hold it.
Ideas do not bleed. They do not feel pain. They do not love.
And it is not an idea that I miss. It is a man.

Source: V for Vendetta (2005) Movie Script | SS

I'm aware that what I wrote above isn't like a typical review, so I'm providing an excerpt from Roger Ebert's review, as well as the link to his complete article afterwards:
There are ideas in this film. The most pointed is V’s belief: “People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” I am not sure V has it right; surely in the ideal state governments and their people should exist happily together. Fear in either direction must lead to violence. But V has a totalitarian state to overthrow, and only a year to do it in, and we watch as he improvises a revolution. He gets little support, although Stephen Fry plays a dissident TV host who criticizes the government at his peril.

With most action thrillers based on graphic novels, we simply watch the sound and light show. "V for Vendetta," directed by James McTeigue, almost always has something going on that is actually interesting, inviting us to decode the character and plot and apply the message where we will. There are times when you think the soundtrack should be supplying "Anarchy in the UK" by the Sex Pistols. The movie ends with a violent act that left me, as a lover of London, intensely unhappy; surely V's enemy is human, not architectural.

The film has been disowned by Alan Moore, who also removed his name from the movie versions of his graphic novels From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but then any sane person would have been unhappy with the Gentlemen. His complaint was not so much with the films as with the deal involving the use of his work. I have not read the original work, do not know what has been changed or gone missing, but found an audacious confusion of ideas in "V for Vendetta" and enjoyed their manic disorganization. To attempt a parable about terrorism and totalitarianism that would be relevant and readable might be impossible, could be dangerous and would probably not be box office.

Read more at: V for Vendetta Movie Review & Film Summary (2006) | Roger Ebert

Last edited:

Forum List

Back