USMC Silent Drill Platoon

Semper Fi said:

They look good, but they can have THAT job. They spend eight-or-more hours-a-day just practicing. They can even make a screw-up look good.

If a Marine loses his cover, the Plt Sgt picks the cover up, holding it in front of him with both hands. He spins the cover forward in a complete revolution and brings it perfectly down on the Marine's head. Looks pretty cool.

The Sunset parade at the base of the Iwo Jima War memorial. I have had the great pleasure of being there on numerous occassions while living in the Washington DC area. If you have the chance check them out...from the 8th and I website: http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/parades/parade_sunsetdefault.asp

Welcome to the Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C., Sunset Parade, held under the backdrop of the Marine Corps War Memorial--the living symbol of those for whom "uncommon valor was a common virtue."
Start times:
June 6 - August 1 7:00 pm EST
August 8 & August 15 6:30 pm EST

A one hour performance, the Sunset Parade features the music of "The Commandant's Own", The United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and precision drill by the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon.

The Sunset Parade is open to the public at no charge. Reservations are not necessary. Spacious lawns provide ample room for guests to bring lawn chairs and blankets for informal viewing. No other type of seating is available, except for invited guests of the Parade Reviewing Officials.

GunnyL said:
They look good, but they can have THAT job. They spend eight-or-more hours-a-day just practicing. They can even make a screw-up look good.

If a Marine loses his cover, the Plt Sgt picks the cover up, holding it in front of him with both hands. He spins the cover forward in a complete revolution and brings it perfectly down on the Marine's head. Looks pretty cool.

Haha, thats pretty cool. My Civil Air Patrol squadron formed a color guard right before I left. We had one gig, at a graduation, about 400 people. I was extremely nervous that we would mess up, I couldnt imagine how they must feel.

Forum List

Back