USMB Version of Diners, Drive ins and Dives

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I have been in the process of planning this road trip. I am also going to one of the not even top fifty destinations of the world.I am traveling with a fan of Guy Fieri and I thought it would be fun if we could locate some of the restaurants. I ran into a small problem. The vast majority of these restaurants are located in major cities like:
Diners Drive-ins and Dives in Missouri

If you click on the tab at the top labeled By States and look at the other states then it's mostly the same. Normally, this would be great if I was spending time in any of these major cities.

Have you found any places in your travels and what do they serve that is a must have?

I go where ever a lounge lizard can be obtained...

Come on.........you live in the boondocks, yes? You must have encountered some place.

Sorry, but I'm the chef in my life and I've never had a complaint...except that time back in '97 when I had to rush to the hospital to have my stomach pumped...oh, and that other time in 2009.

You don't travel?

The Rainbow Café and Lounge in Pendleton Oregon. Fried chicken, served evenings. Pressure fried chicken brined and fried on site served with jojos and garlic toast and ranch dressing (the type they make there with buttermilk and mayo).

Rainbow Caf Restaurant Pendleton OR

In Noel there is the KKK,,Kathy's Kountry Kitchen......Cedar Creeks cafe, 411 restaurant,, more casual dining, not fine...There are many that are closed this time of year...There are Hispanic cafes, bakery, super market....They even sell fried bologna sandwiches at the flea market....

I go where ever a lounge lizard can be obtained...

Come on.........you live in the boondocks, yes? You must have encountered some place.

Sorry, but I'm the chef in my life and I've never had a complaint...except that time back in '97 when I had to rush to the hospital to have my stomach pumped...oh, and that other time in 2009.

You don't travel?

Uhhh...yes, but being the right-wing nutter I am, you can understand why I always travel well-armed.

yard sale.jpg

Wait..are you only hitting Missouri?

What's a jo jo?

This trip I am going down into Oklahoma to about three different areas. I am probably going to stop outside of Joplin for the night. But, my thinking was that this isn't the only place I'm ever taking a road trip to and a collection would be great for future road trips.

You don't travel?[/QUOTE]

Uhhh...yes, but being the right-wing nutter I am, you can understand why I always travel well-armed.

View attachment 36990[/QUOTE]

:lol: Got it!
I would destroy everything in my path with one of those.

I cooked at the Rainbow for 2 years...that was about 20+ years ago, when there was only one cook/server/bartender in the kitchen in the evenings.

I made 40 chickens every Friday night, and they didn't start serving them until 4 pm or so...

jo jos are whole potatoes, cut into wedges, brined in salt water, then deep fried in a pressure cooker along with the chicken.

The result is very like a baked potato wedge with a crust. You eat it with ranch dressing.
4708059667_15908fb7fc.jpg

I cooked at the Rainbow for 2 years...that was about 20+ years ago, when there was only one cook/server/bartender in the kitchen in the evenings.

I made 40 chickens every Friday night, and they didn't start serving them until 4 pm or so...

jo jos are whole potatoes, cut into wedges, brined in salt water, then deep fried in a pressure cooker along with the chicken.

The result is very like a baked potato wedge with a crust. You eat it with ranch dressing.
4708059667_15908fb7fc.jpg

Oooh. That actually looks pretty good and I am not fond of potato wedges or at least the ones that I have had.

They are very, very good. No fancy seasonings, absolutely no preservatives. We would run big baker potatoes through the dishwasher, then cut them into wedges and drop them into brine on Thursday night.

They went into the fryer with the chicken, 4 per order (1/2 chicken...breast, leg, thigh, wing) and came out with the chicken and oh my.

The Rainbow Café and Lounge in Pendleton Oregon. Fried chicken, served evenings. Pressure fried chicken brined and fried on site served with jojos and garlic toast and ranch dressing (the type they make there with buttermilk and mayo).

Rainbow Caf Restaurant Pendleton OR

That's a cool town. There was a Hudson's Bay Company outpost there in the 1700's. I'll bet they ripped the Indians off as bad as the Pendleton Blanket Company rips off tourists today.

It's Pendleton Woolen Mills now...yes we have a very intimate relationship with the tribe there.

We do have established sheep ranchers who provide the wool for the blankets, and most of the designs are native in origin.

What's a jo jo?

This trip I am going down into Oklahoma to about three different areas. I am probably going to stop outside of Joplin for the night. But, my thinking was that this isn't the only place I'm ever taking a road trip to and a collection would be great for future road trips.
It's like a Stuckeys..

What's a jo jo?

Precious Moments is not to far from Joplin...

What's a jo jo?

Precious Moments is not to far from Joplin...

You're losing your touch.

Forum List

Back