USMB Coffee Shop IV

I remember my brother mashing peas on his high chair tray until they were paste like. Cauliflower is still something I don't eat along with beets. Broccoli is okay if it is just the flower part and cut up small into a quiche or drowned in cheese.

Good morning, folks.

Thanks Jake, and good morning to you and all coffee-mates, this fine day.

I am up very early ( since 5 ) because I have a handyman coming over to put together a new piece of exercise equipment for me, that arrived last night. :woohoo:

6:30 for me!

I'm just happy he will work on a Saturday, even though I have to be bathed, dressed and ready by 8:30. He is licensed and bonded and willing to work. :thup: I admire that.

Thanks Jake, and good morning to you and all coffee-mates, this fine day.

I am up very early ( since 5 ) because I have a handyman coming over to put together a new piece of exercise equipment for me, that arrived last night. :woohoo:

6:30 for me!

I'm just happy he will work on a Saturday, even though I have to be bathed, dressed and ready by 8:30. He is licensed and bonded and willing to work. :thup: I admire that.

I don't know, Aqua, if you had to pay a bail-bond so he could make it to work, that might not be a good thing.
Just saying.

I just watched Top hat, the film with Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers, for the second time in a few weeks. Their films have been on British TV channel 61 ever Saturday and Sunday at 1pm. I can never get enough of the age of innocence. I grew up with those films.

Then I had a nasty shock. When I tried to connect tot he internet I could not. I ran through the system checks and somehow managed to get it back, but don't ask me how. I think there was a problem with an update that downloaded yesterday and somehow I fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto. It's a texture issue.

My wife's that way with peas and beans. I just like fruit pies and nut pies.

When I was a kid and forced to eat peas, I'd have to swallow them whole...if that stuff exploded in my mouth, I'd gag.:eek:

Peas and beans and underdone carrots are good but broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower make me gag. It is something to do with the smell when cooked because I like coleslaw which is basically raw cabbage and carrots. Spinach is bitter tasting but a curry will cover that and I like kale, especially when it is dry baked to a crisp.

sound%2Boff%2Bsaturday%2B001.jpg

My wife's that way with peas and beans. I just like fruit pies and nut pies.

When I was a kid and forced to eat peas, I'd have to swallow them whole...if that stuff exploded in my mouth, I'd gag.:eek:
Peas are ok with me, what I never liked were broccoli and cauliflower. I guess the smell turned me off. Never ate them as a kid, and don't eat them now...:eusa_hand:

When I was a kid, there were certain foods I said I didn't like and so I refused to eat them. When I grew up, I became more willing to try or retry foods I didn't like and I discovered that some of the foods I "didn't like" was more because I had been unwilling to try them to begin with, or my mom had just cooked them badly. Eggplant is a perfect example of my mom not knowing how to cook it. I never liked eggplant. Then, shortly after I got married, my wife made an eggplant parmigiana that was really good. I still don't like most eggplant dishes and wouldn't order it in a restaurant, but there are certain ways to cook it that I will eat.

I will try virtually anything once and there are very few foods I won't try again. I had raw sea urchin sushi twice and both times it was so horrible that I just about vomited so that is one food I won't try again. I also won't do straight shots of tequila but I do like a margarita now and then. I like hot peppers a lot but I wouldn't eat an entire one of these insanely hot peppers that are on the market these days (think things like ghost peppers and hotter), but I can (and do) eat pickled habanero's straight from the jar. hotter than that, and it just tears up your insides.

I HATE Lemon Meringue Pie. It's yucky.

Me neither, don't like meringue or cream pies.

Well I might as well chime in too... I don't like it either. Not a big fan of lemon flavored anything.

Update on Ma... the lump in her appendix was an infection, so she has a drain in her to drain that off. I know, not a very appealing picture, and her body is only responding to one certain drug to fight it, and for that they need a pic line in her to administer. So, she had a couple options for continued care, and we're opting for a hospice type center in the same town she lives in, and it has a great reputation. We'll have to wait until Monday now to move her, then I'll go down, drop my Tahoe off at where my sister works and pic up her little RAV-4. Ma can get in and out of that the best because it's not very high, then I'll run her down to the new place and then drop my sisters RAV back off and pick up my truck. A lot of messing around but, Ma's are worth it. I'll put on close to 300 hundred miles driving before I get back home.

Think I'll run up to walmart today and buy me a new non stick fry pan. My old one is getting pretty cruddy, and all the non stick stuff has been peeling for awhile.

Last edited:
Me neither, don't like meringue or cream pies.

Well I might as well chime in too... I don't like it either. Not a big fan of lemon flavored anything.

Update on Ma... the lump in her appendix was an infection, so she has a drain in her to drain off the infection. I know, not a very appealing picture, and her body is only responding to one certain drug to fight it, and for that they need a pic line in her. So, she had a couple options for continued care, and we're opting for a hospice type center in the same town she lives in, and it has a great reputation. We'll have to wait until Monday now to move her, then I'll go down, drop my Tahoe off at where my sister works and pic up her little RAV-4. Ma can get in and out of that the best because it's not very high, then I'll run her down to the new place and then drop my sisters RAV back off and pick up my truck. A lot of messing around but, Ma's are worth it. I'll put on close to 300 hundred miles driving before I get back home.

Think I'll run up to walmart today and buy me a new non stick fry pan. My old one is getting pretty cruddy, and all the non stick stuff has been peeling for awhile.

Tough times as our parents get older. Mine are now both gone, did the hospice thing with my mom.
I use cast iron, steel or anodized aluminum for cooking, no coatings. Properly seasoned you don't need any coatings.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Peas are ok with me, what I never liked were broccoli and cauliflower. I guess the smell turned me off. Never ate them as a kid, and don't eat them now...:eusa_hand:

When I was a kid, there were certain foods I said I didn't like and so I refused to eat them. When I grew up, I became more willing to try or retry foods I didn't like and I discovered that some of the foods I "didn't like" was more because I had been unwilling to try them to begin with, or my mom had just cooked them badly. Eggplant is a perfect example of my mom not knowing how to cook it. I never liked eggplant. Then, shortly after I got married, my wife made an eggplant parmigiana that was really good. I still don't like most eggplant dishes and wouldn't order it in a restaurant, but there are certain ways to cook it that I will eat.

I will try virtually anything once and there are very few foods I won't try again. I had raw sea urchin sushi twice and both times it was so horrible that I just about vomited so that is one food I won't try again. I also won't do straight shots of tequila but I do like a margarita now and then. I like hot peppers a lot but I wouldn't eat an entire one of these insanely hot peppers that are on the market these days (think things like ghost peppers and hotter), but I can (and do) eat pickled habanero's straight from the jar. hotter than that, and it just tears up your insides.

I couldn't eat lima beans as a kid - they made me puke. I got to like them later, and like Alan, I think it was Mom using cheap canned or frozen foods to save money. Broccoli and other things got a lot better too once I got better source material.

Mom wasn't a great cook; she just never learned. My first clue to that was when I jumped to public school, saw my first cafeteria and heard the other kids complaining about how bad the food was and I thought, "what? It's just like I get at home... oooh wait... :eek: "

Mom never made eggplant. My first exposure to it was after growing up when some of us went to an Italian restaurant and a friend who was a vegetarian ordered and eggplant parmesean sandwich. I had never heard of it. I tried it and have been hooked ever since. Again, they did it the right way -- baked in the oven. First impressions are real important, and if they're bad can be a hurdle to overcome later. And peas rock. :rock: -- essential in Indian cuisine, which I like to make often.

On tequila -- I've never really been interested in drinking but yeah if there's tequila I'll take it straight, none of this farting around with lemons and salt. Nice wake-up call for the throat. Actually I like that physical rush more than the intoxication. The latter is just a botheration.

Last edited:
To be honest, a great sweet-potato pie with whipped cream and real bourbon vanilla ice cream is my absolute favorite!

Why would you want a vegetable with icecream?

Sweet potato pie is a southern staple in this country as a desert, looks a lot like pumpkin pie.

sweet_potato_pie.jpg

Yeah, but it doesn't taste like pumpkin pie. Squash doesn't either. My parents tried to pass both off on me as pumpkin. Just cruel I tell you.

Forum List

Back