USMB Coffee Shop IV

1669095842692.png

Ewwww. I've never grokked that. I have no desire to $500/pound for beans that passed through the digestive tract of a civet.

No filtered cat shit for me either. It's ridiculous what people can be conned into eating on the notion that it's a delicacy, much less spend a month's grocery money to do it. And yeah, I do know that a civet isn't really a cat.

No filtered cat shit for me either. It's ridiculous what people can be conned into eating on the notion that it's a delicacy, much less spend a month's grocery money to do it. And yeah, I do know that a civet isn't really a cat.

It's value is as a status marker for people who care about such things. I don't.

It's value is as a status marker for people who care about such things. I don't.

The fancy coffee store in the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, sold Kuona (sp?) Coffee grown in Hawaii in volcanic soil, for $99 a pound. That's a week's grocery money!!! That one would be interested in trying just for the taste, but not at that price.

I once was treated to a bottle of Chateau Margaux 1957 at a dinner party years ago. $1000+ per bottle today. It was the most amazing thing I've ever tasted. I went to the liquor store and enquired about ordering some. The manager looked it up, told me the price (which was more than either one of us earned in a week), and asked me how many bottles I wanted to order, and then we both laughed.

The fancy coffee store in the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, sold Kuona (sp?) Coffee grown in Hawaii in volcanic soil, for $99 a pound. That's a week's grocery money!!! That one would be interested in trying just for the taste, but not at that price.

I once was treated to a bottle of Chateau Margaux 1957 at a dinner party years ago. $1000+ per bottle today. It was the most amazing thing I've ever tasted. I went to the liquor store and enquired about ordering some. The manager looked it up, told me the price (which was more than either one of us earned in a week), and asked me how many bottles I wanted to order, and then we both laughed.

LOL! A few years ago, mr. boe and I participated in a blind champagne tasting. We had everything from cheap-cheapo to a bottle of Cristal. Of course the very must expensive tasted best, but I was very pleased that I liked a moderate priced label better than some of the pricier ones. I can't see bowing the entire monthly grocery budget on one bottle - unless the earth is going to be destroyed by an asteroid in the imminent future.

LOL! A few years ago, mr. boe and I participated in a blind champagne tasting. We had everything from cheap-cheapo to a bottle of Cristal. Of course the very must expensive tasted best, but I was very pleased that I liked a moderate priced label better than some of the pricier ones. I can't see bowing the entire monthly grocery budget on one bottle - unless the earth is going to be destroyed by an asteroid in the imminent future.

All of my favourite wines are under $20 but this whole area I live in is wine country. Foodland Ontario. Our local LCBO [government owned liquor store], stocks a lot of local wines, and sadly, most of them aren't very good, but when my friend was here from New York was here, we went looking for Wayne Gretsky's Winery. It was closed for renovations, so we went trolling through the countryside for wineries, and then went shopping in Niagara on the Lake.

I have become very partial to Henry of Pelham, Banco Noir. The winery is in St. Catharines, which is another 20 miles the other side of Pelham. The old vine wine is the same price as decent French or American wine. Prices vary from country to country but here, that's under $20 Canadian. The new vine wine was $12.95, but the price just jumped $2.

Tomorrow is our euchre club. We play cards and socialize from 1:30 to 3:00. I have to bake some brownies for this. And pick up my ticket for our Christmas luncheon on the 8th.

Someone left a bag of yarn on my back porch. It's not anything I can use, but there is a man from knitting club at the library who knits blankets for the homeless, and this is the same yarn he uses so I'm going to stop by the Library on my way. The knitting club meets tomorrow as well.

Yeah I'm sure some of that exotically expensive stuff is awesome. But there are a lot of really good modestly priced wines out there. We aren't California, but we produce some good wine here in New Mexico.

As for expensive coffee, Amazon lists this as the world's most expensive. The problem is that once you read the description of how it becomes the world's most expensive coffee you cannot unread it. And it's pretty gross.

Kopi Luwak Coffee, Sustainably Sourced, World's Most Expensive Coffee, Ground, Fresh Roasted, 16-ounces​

Kopi Luwak Coffee, Sustainably Sourced, World's Most Expensive Coffee, Ground, Fresh Roasted, 16-ounces - $399.99 or $25 cents/oz​

Visit the Volcanica Coffee Store

Civet coffee is a special kind of coffee prepared from coffee beans that have been eaten, digested and defecated by the Asian palm civet cat (known in Indonesia as the luwak), a small cat-like mammal that enjoys eating ripe, luscious coffee cherries. The pooped-out coffee beans, protected by a thin parchment because digestion doesn’t destroy the bean’s tough outer husk, are then washed, dried, husked and roasted to make for a delicious cup of coffee. The special thing about civet coffee is the fermentation process that occurs in the digestive tract of the civet, which gives civet coffee a uniquely desirable taste and aroma and cuts its caffeine content in half when compared to any other cup of joe.

This is a civet
1669255010419.png

A bit of trivia, if you've ever seen Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in "The Bucket List", Nicholson's character was a connoisseur of great coffee and his favorite was Kopi Luwack.
1669255239594.png

$399.99$399.99 ($25.00$25.00 / Ounce)

As for expensive coffee, Amazon lists this as the world's most expensive. The problem is that once you read the description of how it becomes the world's most expensive coffee you cannot unread it. And it's pretty gross.

Kopi Luwak Coffee, Sustainably Sourced, World's Most Expensive Coffee, Ground, Fresh Roasted, 16-ounces​

Kopi Luwak Coffee, Sustainably Sourced, World's Most Expensive Coffee, Ground, Fresh Roasted, 16-ounces - $399.99 or $25 cents/oz​

Visit the Volcanica Coffee Store

Civet coffee is a special kind of coffee prepared from coffee beans that have been eaten, digested and defecated by the Asian palm civet cat (known in Indonesia as the luwak), a small cat-like mammal that enjoys eating ripe, luscious coffee cherries. The pooped-out coffee beans, protected by a thin parchment because digestion doesn’t destroy the bean’s tough outer husk, are then washed, dried, husked and roasted to make for a delicious cup of coffee. The special thing about civet coffee is the fermentation process that occurs in the digestive tract of the civet, which gives civet coffee a uniquely desirable taste and aroma and cuts its caffeine content in half when compared to any other cup of joe.

This is a civet
View attachment 730184

A bit of trivia, if you've ever seen Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in "The Bucket List", Nicholson's character was a connoisseur of great coffee and his favorite was Kopi Luwack.
View attachment 730187

$399.99$399.99 ($25.00$25.00 / Ounce)

Just say NO!

Forum List

Back