USMB Coffee Shop IV

The saddest thing about this holiday, other than the torment of innocent animals, is that most Americans think of it as nothing more than a day to barbeque and shoot off fireworks. Some remember they're supposed to put out a flag but don't really know why.

I've probably seen a half dozen man on the street interviews asking why we celebrate Independence Day and maybe one out of twenty, if that, actually knows. A lot tentatively guess at the historical reference but don't get close. Answers range from "I have no idea" to the day the Constitution was signed or the end of the Revolutionary or some other war.

We were already at war for a year and a Continental Congress had been formed when on July 4, 1776, that Continental Congress passed the Declaration of Independence and thereby certified their intent to create a new independent country with a unique vision i.e. a nation with government of the people, by the people, for the people:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. . ."

The war would last for seven years and it would be 12 years from the signing of the Declaration before the USA became a reality when the Constitution was finally ratified on June 21, 1788. The rest is, as they say, in the history books.

A flora report from the Wisco tree ranch....

Only one peony this year....Sandy soil doesn't help.

Our little wild lady slipper conservatory of 12-15 only had two blooms this year, even though all the greenery from them emerged....First time in memory that has happened.

After lack of timely rain left us skunked on blueberries last year, this season is setting up for a bumper crop, with patches that I've not seen with berries producing this time around....Of course the reciprocal being that a couple of my stash patches aren't as bountiful as they have been in years gone by....Gotta have multiple stashes of patches for this game.

I expect the raspberries to start forming in the next copule weeks....The blooms lead me to believe we're going to get a good harvest of those too.....Still unsure of the blackberries....Don't have a line on as many locations of those as I do the other too....We'll see.
I love fresh picked blueberries. Store bought ones have never compared to the ones we picked ourselves at u-pick farms in Oregon in the early eighties. *sigh* /nostalgia. Glad you're going to see a bumper crop of them this year, Oddball.

The saddest thing about this holiday, other than the torment of innocent animals, is that most Americans think of it as nothing more than a day to barbeque and shoot off fireworks. Some remember they're supposed to put out a flag but don't really know why.

I've probably seen a half dozen man on the street interviews asking why we celebrate Independence Day and maybe one out of twenty, if that, actually knows. A lot tentatively guess at the historical reference but don't get close. Answers range from "I have no idea" to the day the Constitution was signed or the end of the Revolutionary or some other war.

We were already at war for a year and a Continental Congress had been formed when on July 4, 1776, that Continental Congress passed the Declaration of Independence and thereby certified their intent to create a new independent country with a unique vision i.e. a nation with government of the people, by the people, for the people:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. . ."

The war would last for seven years and it would be 12 years from the signing of the Declaration before the USA became a reality when the Constitution was finally ratified on June 21, 1788. The rest is, as they say, in the history books.
Torment of innocent animals?

Update:
I am scared, sad and excited all at the same time. I am hoping things run its course as I have half planned since I don't know what is happening on the other end, but the tiny town of Corning finally called with a unit that hopefully I will be sitting in on Aug 1st.

It will be just me and the cat until the movers get my stuff up there. Then I have to call PG&E and get power in my name (first time in forever because it was usually free by the property owner, or in Dennis' name), find a new doctor that accepts medi-cal and medicare, a dentist as well, explore the town to find what I will need since it will hopefully be my forever home.

I am packed and ready to go even though I have about 3 more weeks here. I left out the basics so when the movers get here, I will have a few items as if I am already in the motel. And I will pray that the motel will not be needed on the 3rd day because for such a tiny town, rooms are horrendous and I don't want to be stuck there for a week. OUCH on the wallet and cc!

Plus, I have a nasty cold. My sister in law came to help me pack and she was sick when she arrived. Hacking, coughing, snotting all over the place and shared it with me, so I am furiously trying to get it cleared up before the big day of moving. So far, no fever. Just a stuffed up nose and phlegm in my lungs but nothing too majorly bad. Still, I need to be healthy until I can get myself settled in.

Thankfully, no holidays in August, so if it all can be done during a regular work day and not a weekend, it should be smooth sailing but I learned long ago that smooth sailing is about as legit as "The Golden Years".

And, fresh start in a new place, new town where I know absolutely nobody as a freshly new widow at the age of 70 in October dealing with the fear and excitement alone. Ack!

Farmers Market. Looks interesting and reminds me much of the one in Morro Bay.

1657016021205.png

Update:
I am scared, sad and excited all at the same time. I am hoping things run its course as I have half planned since I don't know what is happening on the other end, but the tiny town of Corning finally called with a unit that hopefully I will be sitting in on Aug 1st.

It will be just me and the cat until the movers get my stuff up there. Then I have to call PG&E and get power in my name (first time in forever because it was usually free by the property owner, or in Dennis' name), find a new doctor that accepts medi-cal and medicare, a dentist as well, explore the town to find what I will need since it will hopefully be my forever home.

I am packed and ready to go even though I have about 3 more weeks here. I left out the basics so when the movers get here, I will have a few items as if I am already in the motel. And I will pray that the motel will not be needed on the 3rd day because for such a tiny town, rooms are horrendous and I don't want to be stuck there for a week. OUCH on the wallet and cc!

Plus, I have a nasty cold. My sister in law came to help me pack and she was sick when she arrived. Hacking, coughing, snotting all over the place and shared it with me, so I am furiously trying to get it cleared up before the big day of moving. So far, no fever. Just a stuffed up nose and phlegm in my lungs but nothing too majorly bad. Still, I need to be healthy until I can get myself settled in.

Thankfully, no holidays in August, so if it all can be done during a regular work day and not a weekend, it should be smooth sailing but I learned long ago that smooth sailing is about as legit as "The Golden Years".

And, fresh start in a new place, new town where I know absolutely nobody as a freshly new widow at the age of 70 in October dealing with the fear and excitement alone. Ack!
I hope it is everything you need and hope for Gracie. It's time you caught a break.

I'm surprised the peonies bloom at all in sandy soil. In Kansas they were practically indestructable, needed little maintenance, grew huge and bloomed profusely year after year in the loose loamy soil they require. Here in New Mexico our nursery folks don't even carry the plants or the seeds as they simply don't like our sandy soil or prevalent clay, granulated granite and caliche.
Been trying different fertilizers and fortifiers for the soil....The latest is this one...

Working pretty nicely on the potted plants and flowers, we'll see what we get by applying it in the fall in advance of next time it's bloom time.

Been trying different fertilizers and fortifiers for the soil....The latest is this one...

Working pretty nicely on the potted plants and flowers, we'll see what we get by applying it in the fall in advance of next time it's bloom time.
Hope it works for you. Desert plants flourish in our climate and in our soils. But those who fit into our temperature zone but need something other than sand, clay, caliche, granulated granite do need reinforced topsoil etc. to survive here even though in Albuquerque there is an amazing variety of trees and lots of them as well as beautiful flower beds everywhere. I suspect our city parks department that also maintains landscaped medians etc. purchases a lot of topsoil that is not native to our area. I'm not sure any fertilizer or fortifier could correct the makeup of our soil, but our situation is very different from yours. So keep us posted.

Last edited:
Didn't do much today except pray for the nation, for the victims of all these shootings, safety for first responders, thanksgiving for God's love, for resolution of shellings between Ukraine and Russia, and for peace on earth, for the good health and unique changes the friends here are experiencing, and for parents who've lost children and loved ones, children who've lost their families, and for an end to hostilities everywhere. Wishing love and prosperity to all who come here. :huddle:

Mrs O was born in Laredo.
I loved going to Laredo the year we lived in Bruni, TX, about 40 miles east of there, and if you blinked, well, you missed the whole town back in 1958. Seems we did an oriental dance at a big stadium in Laredo with hundreds of other kids in Junior high. My coach advised me to be a professional dancer. I remember it being the middle of winter and it was warm. From K to 12, I think the school system had less than 100 students, most of whom were bilingual. We were there a little less than a year.

Update:

GRACIE! I tried calling you a couple of times recently but I suppose you've been busy. This would appear to be good news and I'm crossing my hooks for you.

Been doing some traveling. Branson, Mo then north to the SD Badlands Rushmore and Crazyhorse done. Another full day before I turn towards home. Added a few states to my list.
That sounds like fun. I have to stay home and water the yard. It's been hot and dry since the last rain, and my riding mower pops off, and one of my helpers used the zero turn like a bucking bronco, and it doesn't bother to turn its blades any more after 3 trips to the repair shop. Think I'll give up on helpers. They don't have to pay for repairs, so it's why not city. *sigh*. The weeds are green and the grass is goldish brown. :icon_sjung: Oh, well. Life goes on.

Forum List

Back