USMB Coffee Shop IV

SO after Rushmore and Crazy Horse, I drove to Hot Springs and got a room. The following morning I went to the Mammoth Site. Got there better than an hour before they opened and thought about leaving but got into a conversation with one of the maintenance workers. Then along came Dr. Jim Mead. The scientist that has been there since day one of the dig. He talked with me outside the dig then when they opened he basically gave me s personal tour. I have no doubt I learned more than the average visitor.

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 11
Hi all. This last week has been chilly with all this much needed rain which has put a damper on riding my bike. I've actually had to turn on the house heaters twice now and it's the end of June.......... Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as we desperately need the rain being as we are in extreme drought conditions. I'd gladly forgo riding as long as we get rain throughout this whole monsoon season.

Hi all. This last week has been chilly with all this much needed rain which has put a damper on riding my bike. I've actually had to turn on the house heaters twice now and it's the end of June.......... Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as we desperately need the rain being as we are in extreme drought conditions. I'd gladly forgo riding as long as we get rain throughout this whole monsoon season.
Hasn't it been glorious. This is the best beginning to the monsoon I remember ever. I just pray it keeps up for the rest of the summer months.

Well like Ridgerunner I hope you're on the downhill side of that. I worry when you don't check in for several days. :)
Thanks, Foxfyre. I've been to the doctor, and her medicine is kicking in. I also found a couple of homeopathic assists--beet roots and leg cramp stuff, at Walmart. A couple of others, too, but between that and remembering to take the allergy sprayer, I'm getting up and down the staircase with no pain. But this morning, when I tried to do a Spanish lesson, my score was about 15%. I finally threw in the towel and decided to have my coffee here to wake up my puddin' head brain. I have a 44 year memory of totally good times when my late husband was alive, and it's true that absence makes the heart go fonder. My thoughts of romance ended when my houseguest got a trailer, put it under my horse arena with no sewage hookup and after almost a year of criticizing my cooking, and everything else under the sun. He says he hates my politics while saying the same things I believe in, and I've asked him to get off the property, but he hangs around. I can't chase away a Vietnam Vet, I just won't do that. He says he loves me, but after two minutes of "good morning," I'm under the criticism gun, and I'm not a bad person who deserves to be hammered over spending too much time sewing/crocheting which is now the unacceptable fault of me. Good grief, it makes me realize how good it is to have had a man who put up with my little ins and outs for 44 years, and I feel so totally isolated my doctor gave me an antidepressant. Unfortunately, it made me sleep all day and wake up 3 times every night, missing the best man who ever lived. He really was. He lived for me and his charities until he lost his battle with dementia. My faith is stronger now, but what I wouldn't give to have one of his loving hugs for five seconds, six years after he's been gone. 'Scuse me while I go get a memory pill. When I take them, I don't miss a single pluralized Spanish noun, but this morning, I was so fogged out I took a break for a cuppa. :coffee: And I'm feeling better after reading some posts here that I've been missing a whole lot. This morning I woke up, and in spite of a swollen foot, I haven't the slightest vestige of cramps and seizures in my legs. And after venting, I can look over at the arena and not be the least bit annoyed, since virtual friendships bring joy to my soul. :huddle: Love y'all!

Been doing some traveling. Branson, Mo then north to the SD Badlands Rushmore and Crazyhorse done. Another full day before I turn towards home. Added a few states to my list.
That's pleasant mileage in the summers they have up north. It's a hundred degrees in the shade here in southeast Texas. As the crow flies, my little farm is about 3 miles east of I-45, and the grasses out in the field are already tones of gold. Spring has sprung. The forecasts for Houston say 92, 87, etc., but up here we're not having any 3pm hours under 100. I run the upstairs and downstairs air conditioners all day and turn them off after sundown to save electricity, and so far it's working. When the house is cool at sunset, it's livable all night. I've been good about turning lights off, but it has to be done to keep my electric bill real.

Did you see Roswell had their 100 year flood? 3.5 inches of rain in one hour.
Yes, New Mexico cities--Roswell isn't technically desert but is close enough to react like it--don't deal with large amounts of rain well. Actually what happened in Roswell isn't all that drastic but flash flooding can flood low lying homes and such. We experienced it in Lovington where I grew up. We've even experienced it here in Albuquerque when it rains too much. But that's a lot of rain for New Mexico anywhere.

Thanks, Foxfyre. I've been to the doctor, and her medicine is kicking in. I also found a couple of homeopathic assists--beet roots and leg cramp stuff, at Walmart. A couple of others, too, but between that and remembering to take the allergy sprayer, I'm getting up and down the staircase with no pain. But this morning, when I tried to do a Spanish lesson, my score was about 15%. I finally threw in the towel and decided to have my coffee here to wake up my puddin' head brain. I have a 44 year memory of totally good times when my late husband was alive, and it's true that absence makes the heart go fonder. My thoughts of romance ended when my houseguest got a trailer, put it under my horse arena with no sewage hookup and after almost a year of criticizing my cooking, and everything else under the sun. He says he hates my politics while saying the same things I believe in, and I've asked him to get off the property, but he hangs around. I can't chase away a Vietnam Vet, I just won't do that. He says he loves me, but after two minutes of "good morning," I'm under the criticism gun, and I'm not a bad person who deserves to be hammered over spending too much time sewing/crocheting which is now the unacceptable fault of me. Good grief, it makes me realize how good it is to have had a man who put up with my little ins and outs for 44 years, and I feel so totally isolated my doctor gave me an antidepressant. Unfortunately, it made me sleep all day and wake up 3 times every night, missing the best man who ever lived. He really was. He lived for me and his charities until he lost his battle with dementia. My faith is stronger now, but what I wouldn't give to have one of his loving hugs for five seconds, six years after he's been gone. 'Scuse me while I go get a memory pill. When I take them, I don't miss a single pluralized Spanish noun, but this morning, I was so fogged out I took a break for a cuppa. :coffee: And I'm feeling better after reading some posts here that I've been missing a whole lot. This morning I woke up, and in spite of a swollen foot, I haven't the slightest vestige of cramps and seizures in my legs. And after venting, I can look over at the arena and not be the least bit annoyed, since virtual friendships bring joy to my soul. :huddle: Love y'all!
It's so easy to tell other people what they need to do, should do, ought to do etc., but when we're dealing with the actual circumstances of our life, that advice often isn't all that helpful to us if at all. But somebody being a veteran is not a license to be an a-hole or a mandate that we have to allow a toxic destructive relationship. On the other hand, I/we aren't there and you have to do what is right for you. Good that you're feeling better. I will continue to pray & send those positive vibes for a good solution for your other major problem. (((hugs))))

That's pleasant mileage in the summers they have up north. It's a hundred degrees in the shade here in southeast Texas. As the crow flies, my little farm is about 3 miles east of I-45, and the grasses out in the field are already tones of gold. Spring has sprung. The forecasts for Houston say 92, 87, etc., but up here we're not having any 3pm hours under 100. I run the upstairs and downstairs air conditioners all day and turn them off after sundown to save electricity, and so far it's working. When the house is cool at sunset, it's livable all night. I've been good about turning lights off, but it has to be done to keep my electric bill real.
I remember summer days in Corpus Christie.

I remember summer days in Corpus Christie.
My dear but departed older brother retired from the Navy to Corpus, where he worked on military equipment part-time, and he and his wife had a couple of acres two blocks over from the beach. Their weather was beautiful complete with Gulf breezes. On one of our visits to his place, he took us to Padre Island, which was a fun drive of laughs away, and ever so beautiful. We grew up spatting like cats and dogs but became best friends after he went to sea a few times. The first time I realized that I really didn't hate him was when he was 14 and I was 12. He had his appendix removed, and his doctor told mom and dad he had a 50-50 chance of surviving. After he recuperated, i never said another discouraging word to him, andwe be came best friends by the time we were in high school. We moved once a year every year, typical of most military families. In grade school Dad got a moving picture of me crying after one of our "fights" and saying something like "He touched me!!!" It was so silly, because he reached over and touched me on the arm with his forefinger, and not hard, either. My two kids got even with me though. When they were tykes, they fought like dragons over a discarded chewing gum wrapper. Kids! :auiqs.jpg:
Anyway, I'm glad you got to visit Corpus. I never did get to see the marine museum with fish, though. We were supposed to go there on our next visit, not realizing he forgot to tell us he was dying of cancer. What a guy.

Just got back from my first visit with the physical therapist. She quickly identified the problem muscle, explained why I was have adjacent pain because of it and gave me a couple of treatment options. Asked her which works best so we went with dry needling, not Chinese acupuncture but they take a long, thin needle and push it in to the affected area to stimulate underlying myofascial trigger points and muscular and connective tissues. This is used for deep muscle issues where physical manipulation/triggering is nearly impossible. Amazing how well it worked. I'm still stiff and sore but I'm not currently experiencing the sharp pain spasms when I move "wrong". :thup:
Dry needling is backed by extensive research.

Just got back from my first visit with the physical therapist. She quickly identified the problem muscle, explained why I was have adjacent pain because of it and gave me a couple of treatment options. Asked her which works best so we went with dry needling, not Chinese acupuncture but they take a long, thin needle and push it in to the affected area to stimulate underlying myofascial trigger points and muscular and connective tissues. This is used for deep muscle issues where physical manipulation/triggering is nearly impossible. Amazing how well it worked. I'm still stiff and sore but I'm not currently experiencing the sharp pain spasms when I move "wrong". :thup:
Dry needling is backed by extensive research.
Interesting. I had never heard of that. Acupuncture yes. But not dry needling.

Interesting. I had never heard of that. Acupuncture yes. But not dry needling.
Yeah, the first time I'd heard of it also. She hit a couple of different spots which I really didn't feel. She finally hit the primary pain center and I definitely felt that one........ But that was also the one that eased up the muscle the most.

Yeah, the first time I'd heard of it also. She hit a couple of different spots which I really didn't feel. She finally hit the primary pain center and I definitely felt that one........ But that was also the one that eased up the muscle the most.
Yes I read up on it a bit hoping it might address my chronic adhesive capsulitis in my shoulder but that isn't listed as something that would be helped. Saw that a half dozen or so states ban it as 'unproven' treatment or not appropriate for physical therapists to do or some such, but it does seem to be accepted by most. I do know a skilled physical therapist often knows a lot more about a lot of things than the medical doctors do.

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

last-medal-honor-041.jpg

Mr. Williams’ devotion to duty, service members, veterans and their families began long before that battle and before he entered the Corps. As World War II began, Woody came into direct contact with families in his own community when he delivered Western Union telegrams informing the Gold Star families of the death of their loved one. Woody says that those experiences gave him a “greater appreciation for life and an understanding of a difference in death in the normal world as expected in life, and those lost serving in the military for their country". He noted that “consideration and recognition of the families of those lost in military service was very inadequate.” This observation and his personal commitment to veterans and their families brought about the creation of the Woody Williams Foundation. The activities of this foundation allow Mr. Williams to continue his devotion and commitment to those who have served and the Gold Star families who have lost Loved Ones to that service above self.

New Topics

Forum List

Back