USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sounds like a winner Mr. Ringel. I was just getting ready to take a nap due to a headache. I decided to take up chocolate lately because the sciences have found beneficial properties of the stuff, I completely forgot it gives me headaches. I got caught up in reading the lower calories that dark chocolate so even though I didn't eat a whole lot the concentration of one of those substances is probably quadrupled with less sugar and more of the real deal in smaller quantities of it. At least the phenaline in chocolate puts a little cheer in the equation with the reputation.
*giggle* *ouch* *giggle* * ouch* .... naptime....
Unfortunately my lack of sleep was related to my TURP operation a month ago. It seems I had developed a bladder infection which may or may not be responsible for bits of skin tissue in my bladder. Saturday I couldn't go to the bathroom, by 2AM Sunday morning I was in the ER where they quickly inserted a catheter and drained 1200 CCs out and pumped me full of antibiotics.......... Left the ER parking lot at 5:18 that morning. By Sunday night I was back in the ER as something had blocked the catheter, they irrigated and drained 1000 ccs. Been working fine ever since..... for now.......

Unfortunately my lack of sleep was related to my TURP operation a month ago. It seems I had developed a bladder infection which may or may not be responsible for bits of skin tissue in my bladder. Saturday I couldn't go to the bathroom, by 2AM Sunday morning I was in the ER where they quickly inserted a catheter and drained 1200 CCs out and pumped me full of antibiotics.......... Left the ER parking lot at 5:18 that morning. By Sunday night I was back in the ER as something had blocked the catheter, they irrigated and drained 1000 ccs. Been working fine ever since..... for now.......
This is nuts. So sorry you're having to go through this. Hopefully this session with the catheter will be short lived. UTIs for you guys are so much more dangerous than they are for us gals though. Usually a lot of water plus a quart of cranberry juice, drunk intermittently, or whatever takes care of ours. Not so much for men though. Last one Hombre had, some years ago, he landed in the hospital for several days. He was very ill.

Last edited:
Hombre's twin and her daughter are doing better though the daughter was taken via ambulance from the small hospital near their home to Little Rock (70 miles away) where an ICU bed had become available. We talked with the daughter this morning and she was doing fine and was in good spirits--improving daily and convinced she, her mom still in the small hospital and her husband recovering from COVID at home are all going to live.

I don't lecture or scold anybody re the vaccines but from what trusted medical professionals have told me, these tough and more dangerous cases they're seeing now are all among the unvaccinated or those severely autoimmune compromised. All agree the vaccine doesn't protect everyone--it didn't my sister who was in bad shape anyway when she got COVID--but the vaccinated are far less likely to get COVID, are far less likely to be seriously ill if they do, and are less likely to infect somebody else. The risks of the vaccine are real and not insignificant. But the risks with the virus far exceed whatever risks exist with the vaccine. I hope everybody reads what Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins et al say about the vaccines and make an informed opinion instead of getting their info off of social media or whatever.

Hombre's twin, her daughter, and her son-in-law were all strong anti-vaxxers. They now all say that even though they'll have antibodies from recovering from the virus, they are all going to get the vaccination. This was that unfun for them.

Last edited:
Some states here have laws against firing people shortly before retirement benefits kick in. Prayers up for your friend for all his recent bad luck. They say trouble comes in threes. :(

Companies here don't have retirement benefits any more, unless they're union, and few manufacturing companies are. The company offered him 2 months pay. Under the statute, he's entitled to at least twice that amount, excluding any assessment for "wrongful "dismissal". They said he wasn't "a good fit" for the company. After 9 years??? They fired him because they can hire someone at $4 per hour less. He's hired a top labor law firm on a contingency basis. We sent the retainer Agreement to them today.

I honestly think he'll do better on his own. He does get Canada Pension Pan which he started at age 60 (Around $700). But he was driving 90 miles a day round trip to the city to work. Gas is $5 a gallon here. The gas and wear and tear on his car were tremendous.

He's not the kind of person to sit around and do nothing. He'll find something, and he has literally hundreds of family around here. His family were some of the earliest settlers in this area. There's a least a half dozen companies around town and even a street with his family name on it.

Toronto Blue Jays fans are starting to believe. We've been watching this amazing team of ultra talented 20 - 25 year olds tearing up the field with all of the joy and fun little leaguers. 4 of our starting players were voted to starting positions on the All-Star Team. The last time this happened, we won the World Series.

Vladdy Guerrero Jr. is a national hero. Not only was he born in Montreal, but he is a team leader, on and off the field. He's leading in all three Triple Crown Stats. He'd be a shoe-in for MVP if not for the miracle that is Ohtani. Vladdy is not only the most talented guy on the team, he's the hardest working. Last off-season, he lost 15 lbs. and came to spring training in the best shape of his life.

The day the Jays came home to the SkyDome, Bo Bichette had published in the one of the baseball news sites what was dubbed "Bo's love letter to Toronto", in which he talked about watching Game 5 of the 2015 Texas/Toronto series, best know for Bauttista's famous "Bat Flip", and the whole crowd going crazy in the stands and said "Who wouldn't want to be part of that?".

Bo only played a few games with the big team in 2019, coming up late in the season. And last season they didn't play any games in Toronto. Their first game in Toronto since the end of the 2019 season was on July 30th. Only 20,000 people are allowed into the stadium which seats more than 50,000. Those in attendance seem to be very aware that they have to be as loud as the 50,000 who would be there if they could.

Okay for our resident math wizards, here is todays quiz and I honestly admit I'm pretty sure I flunked it.

1631724731399.png

A= 1 B=2 C=3 Notice the last on the list is a times problem x. So aaa=3 bba =5 a+bxc=9 or 1+2x3=9

You are forgetting the order of operations. PEMDAS - Parentheses Exponents Multiplication/Division Addition/Subtraction. So 1+2x3 is not 3x3=9, it is 1+6=7. Multiplication goes before addition.

This sort of thing goes around social media a lot, for some reason.

We have a lot of #MAGA folks in the Coffee Shop Mortimer, and we have a lot of folks who lean differently. There are hundreds of threads out there this photo would be suitable for, but it is way too political for the Coffee Shop. Here we want to be just folks and enjoy each other. Thanks for understanding.

My oldest daughter had the a duck that kept the family in stitches. Dilbert.

Dilbert was a white "runner". Like the runner duck in the movie "Babe", Dilbert suffered from an "excess of personality". I called him the Eddie Haskell of ducks. Whenever the chickens got into trouble, Dilbert was leading them. I caught him once encouraging the whole bunch of them to go into the neighbour's garden for snacks, and when he saw me, he started flapping his wings to drive them all back into our yard.

My daughter posted his picture on a "Poultry Shaming" website with a sign around his neck that said "I schtupp the chickens", and he did, relentlessly. But whenever caught, like Eddie Haskell, he pretended that none of it was his idea, and he warned the chicken but they did it anyway. He was a bad, bad duck. When he died, the whole family went into mourning.

Forum List

Back