USMB Coffee Shop IV

Checking in.
This is my third week as an office wonk. I ran out of work last Thursday and am really, really bored. There's so much I could be doing at home. This past weekend I was able to pack down some trails using snowshoes. I was hesitant to use them because of the hip but they really are a lot better than post-holing in knee-deep snow. My chimney for the wood stove did fall over. Two earthquakes and a big dump of icy, wet snow did it in. I have to figure out how to get it back up by myself. I have a few ideas and hope to get that done next weekend. The stove works but draws pretty badly when I first fire it up. Lots of smoke. But when it's really cold, I usually get a lot of smoke until the pipe heats up.
I've started looking for a plow for my truck. That will take care of my driveway. If I could clear the drive, I could start driving the Kia again. The roads are in pretty good shape. No more snow predicted for at least the next week.
In the meantime, I'll be living the dream and hoping y'all have good luck and much happiness.

1605586120365.png

Went out to my car today....and someone broke in it and rifled around. Not much, but they did look here and there. Still...it wasn't as bad as when it was broken in to when Ilived in the alley a few blocks away. And again, they left me a prezzie, unbeknownst to them. A nice 8 inch knife in a leather sheath. And their nasty bandana. I'm thinking they just got in to get out of the rain. Stuff wasn't thrown hither and yon this time either. Just a few things scattered. No windows broken either. So I figure I forgot to lock the back slider lock. Sometimes my remote fob won't lock that one and I forgot to double check it. Whichis good. No replacement window needed. Still...I felt invaded. They took nothing beause there was nothing to take in there. Except my porta pot. I had to laugh when I think of them opening the wicker basket that holds it and saw a toilet. LOL I'm thankful they didn't use it!

Went out to my car today....and someone broke in it and rifled around. Not much, but they did look here and there. Still...it wasn't as bad as when it was broken in to when Ilived in the alley a few blocks away. And again, they left me a prezzie, unbeknownst to them. A nice 8 inch knife in a leather sheath. And their nasty bandana. I'm thinking they just got in to get out of the rain. Stuff wasn't thrown hither and yon this time either. Just a few things scattered. No windows broken either. So I figure I forgot to lock the back slider lock. Sometimes my remote fob won't lock that one and I forgot to double check it. Whichis good. No replacement window needed. Still...I felt invaded. They took nothing beause there was nothing to take in there. Except my porta pot. I had to laugh when I think of them opening the wicker basket that holds it and saw a toilet. LOL I'm thankful they didn't use it!
Thank God you're okay, dear Gracie, and that they just left well enough alone.

Still creepy not knowing who was in there. During my insurance adjuster days, I worked a lot of burglaries, thefts, break ins of homes, businesses, vehicles, etc. And the one common denominator in all of them is the sense of personal violation, invasion of space. In some cases it was so traumatic that the people sold the property to help get rid of that feeling.

And wow, you have rain????? I would let pretty much anybody sleep in my car to get that.

I'm just thankful whomever it was, didn't trash it. Feeling of invason, yes. But it gets really cold here at night and adding rain..and the homeless shelter across the street probably being full..maybe they just wanted out of the cold and rain. First time it happened, they made a mess. Probably in a hurry to not get caught. This time? Leisurly looking around pilfering but not messy. Even tried to put stuff back in the glovebox but it was pretty stuffed, so they left the How To book for the car laying on the seat. Just vibes I got getting it it was "I'm cold. sorry. Gonna take if I find what I need but again, sorry". I could be wrong, but thats the feeling I got. And there was nothing they could use in there to steal or make money on.

They left a knife behind, along with its sheet. I just cleaned it up since its my prezzie now, lol. Solinger 468, Made In germany. I looked it up. Vintage. Selling price at various websites is 50 bucks. So.....they paid rent on my van for a short time, in my opinion.

they are gonna be pissed when they realized they left it in there. ;)

Gracie. It seems to be one thing after another for you.

What a year!

Update on me.

My daughter had her radical surgery last week, and is out of hospital. Chemo will follow, eventually. For me, as her mother, it’s heartbreaking. And more so, because I can’t visit her, due to Covid restrictions.

And there’s another daughter, flat on her back in an American hospital. But it all looks good, corrective surgery on her spine. I can’t visit her either.

We were comparing the NHS to the US healthcare system. The American food menu was to die for.

Flying back out again next month. I hope. :fingerscrossed:

Wow, Gracie. At least you and MrG are OK. Probably a good thing you live a few floors up, less likely they'll try to break in there than on the ground floor or cars. Still, it's a shame that so many people feel so entitled to just take what isn't theirs.
You stay safe. Can you carry pepper spray where you are? Maybe you should get some?

Update on me.

My daughter had her radical surgery last week, and is out of hospital. Chemo will follow, eventually. For me, as her mother, it’s heartbreaking. And more so, because I can’t visit her, due to Covid restrictions.

And there’s another daughter, flat on her back in an American hospital. But it all looks good, corrective surgery on her spine. I can’t visit her either.

We were comparing the NHS to the US healthcare system. The American food menu was to die for.

Flying back out again next month. I hope. :fingerscrossed:
Hope your daughters both get better. It's just a shitty, f-d up situation that we are not allowed to visit and support our loved ones the way we normally would. What do I keep hearing? Get used to the "new normal"? NOT. OK, off the soapbox...sorry.

Forum List

Back