USMB Coffee Shop IV

For the last few days the wife has been hinting she wants beef tips with gravy. Today I finally made some for her and they are good considering I don't remember ever making them before.

iu

We found a brand new turkey poult yesterday. Funny thing is, the tom has been dead since last Sep. I recalled a term I learned in biology classes and looked it up as it pertained to turkeys. Seems turkey hens are capable of parthenogenesis. One mom, no dad, imagine that. Little tyke is in a plastic tub in the kitchen now. Unbelievable how much noise a few ounces of fluff can make.
Wow, Gallantwarrior, that's wonderful!!! I've been enjoying 30 baby chicks, and just a month later, they're pullets. I've been noticing they grow about a half an inch a day! It started out at Tractor Supply. They had an area with all this little "peep! peep!" going on, although it wasn't very loud since newborn chicks don't have opera skills right off the eggshell. :D

Oh, and I've been offline a long time. My new boyfriend complained I was online just one too many times, when I dismantled the computer and took the whole works upstairs to my late husband's office, where I wasn't going very often since it made me cry every time I went in there. But he's been gone 4 years, and I need to use the space for paperwork that needs doing from time to time. Not much of an excuse, but it's the truth. Needless to mention, I was in withdrawal because of the people right here that I love and enjoy their posts and what they think.

Last week I was hospitalized with a gall bladder problem, and was threatened with a shortened lifespan if I didn't get a surgery last Monday. Since I had to wait 11 hours for my issue of excruciating pain in odd places, I started feeling a little better 9 hours later with no treatment whatever. I was so very annoyed by the time my turn rolled around, I made the decision not to engage a surgeon, but to read up on gall bladder problems and what you could do about it sans surgery. I found several references, and they all said the same thing: apples.

So I'm on the apple diet for 5 days in which I can have apples, apple juice, filtered apple juice, and sugarless apple pie without a crust or topping. <giggle> And today I felt so good I spread 9 sacks of pebbles from Home Depot into the holes created by 3 days of lightening and thunder storms that rained the same amount of water on my little 14 acre place that would have been a flash flood anywhere else. My 2.5 acre lake became a 3 acre lake in the meantime, but it's all good. That was water coming down on us like nothing I've ever seen in my life.

It took me about 3 hours to get myself back online this evening when all the work was done. And I better go get some unfiltered apple juice because it's working. Instead of dying, I think I will be eating at least 2 apples a day as soon as my 5 solid days of apples is over. The darndest thing about apples is that even if that's all you get, you're really not hungry for other foods.

Look forward to getting out there and seeing what's going on in USMB discussions, which I have so sorely missed. Love you all. ~
You should see another benefit from that apple diet......... Can you say colon cleanse? I knew you could....... :)

For the last few days the wife has been hinting she wants beef tips with gravy. Today I finally made some for her and they are good considering I don't remember ever making them before.

iu
That looks good! How did you prepare the tips? I assume you did the rice separately.
Normally it calls for top sirloin but all I had on hand was a couple of rather large ribeyes.
3 lbs meat cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp ketchup
32 oz beef stock
tsp Worcestershire sauce

Mix flour, salt and pepper
Cube meat and dredge in flour mix
Dice the onions, crush the garlic and add to skillet (with a couple of Tsps oil of your choice)
Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent
Turn up heat to medium high and add a couple more Tsps of oil and dredged beef
Cook beef until seared then add the beef stock, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce plus a little more salt and pepper to taste
Simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes
Cook type of rice you like per package instructions

You can thicken the gravy any way you choose, I made a small batch of roux and added that.
Serve over rice

iu
That looks good! How did you prepare the tips? I assume you did the rice separately.
Normally it calls for top sirloin but all I had on hand was a couple of rather large ribeyes.
3 lbs meat cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp ketchup
32 oz beef stock
tsp Worcestershire sauce

Dice the onions, crush the garlic and add to skillet (with a couple of Tsps oil of your choice)
Cook beef until seared then add the beef stock, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce plus a little more salt and pepper to taste

You can thicken the gravy any way you choose, I made a small batch of roux and added that.
Serve over rice
Nice, I think I'll try this. I won't be as fancy as you cutting up Rib eyes tho.:)

Ringel, how are you and Mrs R doing?
We're...... doing....... Taking everything day to day. She's having more problems which means she's taking more Tramadol which means she sleeps more. Matter of fact we have to get her signed up with Hospice soon so they can take over her palliative care (et al).

iu
3 lbs meat cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp ketchup
32 oz beef stock
tsp Worcestershire sauce

Serve over rice
Nice, I think I'll try this. I won't be as fancy as you cutting up Rib eyes tho.:)
I don't buy ribeyes unless they're on sale. You can also use cubed chuck roast but I would cook that in a crock pot over 6 hours to make sure the meat is tender or use a "dry" salt brine to tenderize the chuck.

iu
3 lbs meat cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp ketchup
32 oz beef stock
tsp Worcestershire sauce

Serve over rice
I don't buy ribeyes unless they're on sale. You can also use cubed chuck roast but I would cook that in a crock pot over 6 hours to make sure the meat is tender or use a "dry" salt brine to tenderize the chuck.
We have a pressure cooker that is great for making meat tender, I'll probably use that.

iu
3 lbs meat cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp ketchup
32 oz beef stock
tsp Worcestershire sauce

Serve over rice

Looks wonderful.

I make something similar but use somewhat cheaper stew meat instead of the more expensive cuts. Skip the flour but cook it longer until meat is falling apart tender. I stew it with the onions and garlic, salt & pepper to taste, and in soy sauce combined with worchestershire instead of ketchup. Serve over egg noodles.

Ringel, how are you and Mrs R doing?
We're...... doing....... Taking everything day to day. She's having more problems which means she's taking more Tramadol which means she sleeps more. Matter of fact we have to get her signed up with Hospice soon so they can take over her palliative care (et al).

I so wish we had a prayer or care icon. But the two of you remain in my prayers.

I find I miss having my brother around. He's so upbeat and positive, and full of good advice. He's still planning on returning when I get my surgery set up. He's one of the truly good people on this planet. I am sure that generations of students will miss Mr. ****** and his wisdom.

So glad you're getting that surgery, GW. I bet it will make all the difference in your quality of life. You are still partner free?

iu
3 lbs meat cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp ketchup
32 oz beef stock
tsp Worcestershire sauce

Serve over rice

Looks wonderful.

I make something similar but use somewhat cheaper stew meat instead of the more expensive cuts. Skip the flour but cook it longer until meat is falling apart tender. I stew it with the onions and garlic, salt & pepper to taste, and in soy sauce combined with worchestershire instead of ketchup. Serve over egg noodles.
I think there are at least thirty or so different recipes for Beef Tips, some with gravy, some without.

We found a brand new turkey poult yesterday. Funny thing is, the tom has been dead since last Sep. I recalled a term I learned in biology classes and looked it up as it pertained to turkeys. Seems turkey hens are capable of parthenogenesis. One mom, no dad, imagine that. Little tyke is in a plastic tub in the kitchen now. Unbelievable how much noise a few ounces of fluff can make.
Wow, Gallantwarrior, that's wonderful!!! I've been enjoying 30 baby chicks, and just a month later, they're pullets. I've been noticing they grow about a half an inch a day! It started out at Tractor Supply. They had an area with all this little "peep! peep!" going on, although it wasn't very loud since newborn chicks don't have opera skills right off the eggshell. :D

Oh, and I've been offline a long time. My new boyfriend complained I was online just one too many times, when I dismantled the computer and took the whole works upstairs to my late husband's office, where I wasn't going very often since it made me cry every time I went in there. But he's been gone 4 years, and I need to use the space for paperwork that needs doing from time to time. Not much of an excuse, but it's the truth. Needless to mention, I was in withdrawal because of the people right here that I love and enjoy their posts and what they think.

Last week I was hospitalized with a gall bladder problem, and was threatened with a shortened lifespan if I didn't get a surgery last Monday. Since I had to wait 11 hours for my issue of excruciating pain in odd places, I started feeling a little better 9 hours later with no treatment whatever. I was so very annoyed by the time my turn rolled around, I made the decision not to engage a surgeon, but to read up on gall bladder problems and what you could do about it sans surgery. I found several references, and they all said the same thing: apples.

So I'm on the apple diet for 5 days in which I can have apples, apple juice, filtered apple juice, and sugarless apple pie without a crust or topping. <giggle> And today I felt so good I spread 9 sacks of pebbles from Home Depot into the holes created by 3 days of lightening and thunder storms that rained the same amount of water on my little 14 acre place that would have been a flash flood anywhere else. My 2.5 acre lake became a 3 acre lake in the meantime, but it's all good. That was water coming down on us like nothing I've ever seen in my life.

It took me about 3 hours to get myself back online this evening when all the work was done. And I better go get some unfiltered apple juice because it's working. Instead of dying, I think I will be eating at least 2 apples a day as soon as my 5 solid days of apples is over. The darndest thing about apples is that even if that's all you get, you're really not hungry for other foods.

Look forward to getting out there and seeing what's going on in USMB discussions, which I have so sorely missed. Love you all. ~

Sorry you're had the problem with your galbladder Beautress, but glad you found the solution for your problem. Is this the same boyfriend or a new one?

Last edited:
So I would like to ask the lounge for some advice. My next door neighbor died at the beginning of June after fighting cancer for a couple years. His widow is not doing well and I'm kind of worried she may kill herself. My wife and I have been helping her with getting her trash and her mail. She also has health problems as well as balance problems. She has always been an introvert and totally dependent on her husband so yeah this is not good. We've suggested meeting with bereavement groups but she doesn't like people. She is barely comfortable with us and we've been neighbors for 20 years. She keeps trying to do things herself and falling. I'm practically begging her to call me when she needs help with something but she won't. Any advice is most welcome.

As others have suggested, does she have family you can notify? If you can't get that information, you might quietly notify adult protective services or whatever that might be called in your area and explain the problem as you see it. They are worthless in our area, but I've heard do better in others.

The risk of course is that she finds out who reported her and she cuts off all communication with you. There are no easy answers to such a situation. We're dealing with it with a friend of ours too. :(

Sorry you're had the problem with your galbladder Beautress, but glad you found the solution for your problem. Is this the same boyfriend or a new one?
We were engaged for 4 months. The engagement is officially over.

So I would like to ask the lounge for some advice. My next door neighbor died at the beginning of June after fighting cancer for a couple years. His widow is not doing well and I'm kind of worried she may kill herself. My wife and I have been helping her with getting her trash and her mail. She also has health problems as well as balance problems. She has always been an introvert and totally dependent on her husband so yeah this is not good. We've suggested meeting with bereavement groups but she doesn't like people. She is barely comfortable with us and we've been neighbors for 20 years. She keeps trying to do things herself and falling. I'm practically begging her to call me when she needs help with something but she won't. Any advice is most welcome.

As others have suggested, does she have family you can notify? If you can't get that information, you might quietly notify adult protective services or whatever that might be called in your area and explain the problem as you see it. They are worthless in our area, but I've heard do better in others.

The risk of course is that she finds out who reported her and she cuts off all communication with you. There are no easy answers to such a situation. We're dealing with it with a friend of ours too. :(
Thanks Foxfyre! Yes the daughter comes by 3 times a week or so. When we see Pam outside we always talk to her. She's more comfortable talking to my wife and will converse with her for a few minutes at least. I've just read that the danger period is after the initial shock wears off.

Forum List

Back