USMB Coffee Shop IV

We found a brand new turkey poult yesterday. Funny thing is, the tom has been dead since last Sep. I recalled a term I learned in biology classes and looked it up as it pertained to turkeys. Seems turkey hens are capable of parthenogenesis. One mom, no dad, imagine that. Little tyke is in a plastic tub in the kitchen now. Unbelievable how much noise a few ounces of fluff can make.

Hi all! Haven't visited FoxFyre's place in awhile and I thought this video would be fun for you all. A hummingbird built it's nest within a foot of a University of Arizona camera. This is a time lapse of the babies from hatchlings to leaving the nest.

Actually that's really interesting. You wonder how she keeps from stabbing them to death but just like eagle parents, they moms of the bitty birds seem to know what they're doing.

We found a brand new turkey poult yesterday. Funny thing is, the tom has been dead since last Sep. I recalled a term I learned in biology classes and looked it up as it pertained to turkeys. Seems turkey hens are capable of parthenogenesis. One mom, no dad, imagine that. Little tyke is in a plastic tub in the kitchen now. Unbelievable how much noise a few ounces of fluff can make.

I had heard that about turkeys too. It seems the poults born from that method are always toms? I wouldn't want to be quoted on that though.

EbrrT5BWAAAO5PX.jpg

Wow, Gallantwarrior, that's wonderful!!! I've been enjoying 30 baby chicks, and just a month later, they're pullets. I've been noticing they grow about a half an inch a day! It started out at Tractor Supply. They had an area with all this little "peep! peep!" going on, although it wasn't very loud since newborn chicks don't have opera skills right off the eggshell. :D

Oh, and I've been offline a long time. My new boyfriend complained I was online just one too many times, when I dismantled the computer and took the whole works upstairs to my late husband's office, where I wasn't going very often since it made me cry every time I went in there. But he's been gone 4 years, and I need to use the space for paperwork that needs doing from time to time. Not much of an excuse, but it's the truth. Needless to mention, I was in withdrawal because of the people right here that I love and enjoy their posts and what they think.

Last week I was hospitalized with a gall bladder problem, and was threatened with a shortened lifespan if I didn't get a surgery last Monday. Since I had to wait 11 hours for my issue of excruciating pain in odd places, I started feeling a little better 9 hours later with no treatment whatever. I was so very annoyed by the time my turn rolled around, I made the decision not to engage a surgeon, but to read up on gall bladder problems and what you could do about it sans surgery. I found several references, and they all said the same thing: apples.

So I'm on the apple diet for 5 days in which I can have apples, apple juice, filtered apple juice, and sugarless apple pie without a crust or topping. <giggle> And today I felt so good I spread 9 sacks of pebbles from Home Depot into the holes created by 3 days of lightening and thunder storms that rained the same amount of water on my little 14 acre place that would have been a flash flood anywhere else. My 2.5 acre lake became a 3 acre lake in the meantime, but it's all good. That was water coming down on us like nothing I've ever seen in my life.

It took me about 3 hours to get myself back online this evening when all the work was done. And I better go get some unfiltered apple juice because it's working. Instead of dying, I think I will be eating at least 2 apples a day as soon as my 5 solid days of apples is over. The darndest thing about apples is that even if that's all you get, you're really not hungry for other foods.

Look forward to getting out there and seeing what's going on in USMB discussions, which I have so sorely missed. Love you all. ~

Hi all! Haven't visited FoxFyre's place in awhile and I thought this video would be fun for you all. A hummingbird built it's nest within a foot of a University of Arizona camera. This is a time lapse of the babies from hatchlings to leaving the nest.

Actually that's really interesting. You wonder how she keeps from stabbing them to death but just like eagle parents, they moms of the bitty birds seem to know what they're doing.

Good point, the margin for error there has to be pretty small!

Wow, Gallantwarrior, that's wonderful!!! I've been enjoying 30 baby chicks, and just a month later, they're pullets. I've been noticing they grow about a half an inch a day! It started out at Tractor Supply. They had an area with all this little "peep! peep!" going on, although it wasn't very loud since newborn chicks don't have opera skills right off the eggshell. :D

Oh, and I've been offline a long time. My new boyfriend complained I was online just one too many times, when I dismantled the computer and took the whole works upstairs to my late husband's office, where I wasn't going very often since it made me cry every time I went in there. But he's been gone 4 years, and I need to use the space for paperwork that needs doing from time to time. Not much of an excuse, but it's the truth. Needless to mention, I was in withdrawal because of the people right here that I love and enjoy their posts and what they think.

Last week I was hospitalized with a gall bladder problem, and was threatened with a shortened lifespan if I didn't get a surgery last Monday. Since I had to wait 11 hours for my issue of excruciating pain in odd places, I started feeling a little better 9 hours later with no treatment whatever. I was so very annoyed by the time my turn rolled around, I made the decision not to engage a surgeon, but to read up on gall bladder problems and what you could do about it sans surgery. I found several references, and they all said the same thing: apples.

So I'm on the apple diet for 5 days in which I can have apples, apple juice, filtered apple juice, and sugarless apple pie without a crust or topping. <giggle> And today I felt so good I spread 9 sacks of pebbles from Home Depot into the holes created by 3 days of lightening and thunder storms that rained the same amount of water on my little 14 acre place that would have been a flash flood anywhere else. My 2.5 acre lake became a 3 acre lake in the meantime, but it's all good. That was water coming down on us like nothing I've ever seen in my life.

It took me about 3 hours to get myself back online this evening when all the work was done. And I better go get some unfiltered apple juice because it's working. Instead of dying, I think I will be eating at least 2 apples a day as soon as my 5 solid days of apples is over. The darndest thing about apples is that even if that's all you get, you're really not hungry for other foods.

Look forward to getting out there and seeing what's going on in USMB discussions, which I have so sorely missed. Love you all. ~
That's a lot to digest, Beau! (hh-ha-ha!) Hopefully you are feeling better by now. Get your new boyfriend on line and on the board. He'll enjoy the CS, I'm sure.
My little parthenogenic tom did not make it. My brother got him eating and drinking but he still died. A friend who raises turkeys assured us that the poults are notoriously difficult to raise as hatchlings. Unfortunately, I fear a fox got the mama. We spotted a fox and the next day she was gone and has not reappeared since then. While free-ranging birds are happy and healthy, they are also unfortunately prey.

So I would like to ask the lounge for some advice. My next door neighbor died at the beginning of June after fighting cancer for a couple years. His widow is not doing well and I'm kind of worried she may kill herself. My wife and I have been helping her with getting her trash and her mail. She also has health problems as well as balance problems. She has always been an introvert and totally dependent on her husband so yeah this is not good. We've suggested meeting with bereavement groups but she doesn't like people. She is barely comfortable with us and we've been neighbors for 20 years. She keeps trying to do things herself and falling. I'm practically begging her to call me when she needs help with something but she won't. Any advice is most welcome.

That's a lot to digest, Beau! (hh-ha-ha!) Hopefully you are feeling better by now. Get your new boyfriend on line and on the board. He'll enjoy the CS, I'm sure.
My little parthenogenic tom did not make it. My brother got him eating and drinking but he still died. A friend who raises turkeys assured us that the poults are notoriously difficult to raise as hatchlings. Unfortunately, I fear a fox got the mama. We spotted a fox and the next day she was gone and has not reappeared since then. While free-ranging birds are happy and healthy, they are also unfortunately prey.
I'm so sorry you lost your sweet baby turkey, GW. :huddle:

I'm okay, just not sure my not-so-romantic love life is gonna work out.

So I would like to ask the lounge for some advice. My next door neighbor died at the beginning of June after fighting cancer for a couple years. His widow is not doing well and I'm kind of worried she may kill herself. My wife and I have been helping her with getting her trash and her mail. She also has health problems as well as balance problems. She has always been an introvert and totally dependent on her husband so yeah this is not good. We've suggested meeting with bereavement groups but she doesn't like people. She is barely comfortable with us and we've been neighbors for 20 years. She keeps trying to do things herself and falling. I'm practically begging her to call me when she needs help with something but she won't. Any advice is most welcome.
Prayers up for your neighbor lady, M.Mike.

So I would like to ask the lounge for some advice. My next door neighbor died at the beginning of June after fighting cancer for a couple years. His widow is not doing well and I'm kind of worried she may kill herself.

Well MarathonMike that's a tough one... Are there any adult children or relatives that you can contact? I feel silly asking because that is such a simple solution that I am sure you would have pulled that one out of your hat... Is there a religious back ground in the family?
You can only help someone if they want the help... She may just give up... Wouldn't be the first time...
Best of luck and it is a good thing you and your wife are doing...

Today is a horrible day. For over 20 years, my coffee bean of choice has been Adam's Organic Rocket Espresso. I just found out that Peerless Coffee has discontinued making it. I am so sad.

Oooh, tough one, Mike. If she doesn't want help but needs it... Does she have any relatives who might step up to help? She might need to go into an assisted living home. I would just keep helping where I could and hope for the best.

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet baby turkey, GW. :huddle:

I'm okay, just not sure my not-so-romantic love life is gonna work out.
Thanks, Beau. I always wish the best for you but sometimes these relationships don't work out the way we'd like. I had to inform my (former) partner of 17+ years that he should not plan on moving back to my place. He needs to get his house cleaned up and has persistently complained that the time he spends at my place interferes with his work there. After his stroke/heart attack last July, I brought him here to help him and that has proved to be a disaster. He's become physically abusive as well as emotionally abusive. I don't need that in my life. I have to break a co-dependent relationship and that isn't easy. This is further complicated by the financial ties. Good luck with your not-so-romantic relationship. I recommend becoming independent, tout suite.

Oooh, tough one, Mike. If she doesn't want help but needs it... Does she have any relatives who might step up to help? She might need to go into an assisted living home. I would just keep helping where I could and hope for the best.
Thanks GW. Yes the daughter comes by and brings groceries and checks on her. We've talked but she says she doesn't know what to do with her. If she keeps falling, she may have to go to assisted living.

Forum List

Back