USMB Coffee Shop IV

Can’t wait for market day tomorrow, to buy some more. They are not cheap.

I have these right now.

E9BBF1EB-9F2D-444B-BCF0-58D5AF88F0F5.jpeg
E9BBF1EB-9F2D-444B-BCF0-58D5AF88F0F5.jpeg

So all went well for the little we could do on Memorial Day. I had 8 guys show up to do a rifle squad an fire three volleys in each of the two cemeteries here in the Ville. I blew Taps after each of the firings... Then I spent the day blowing Taps from a different corner in the Ville each hour... Total of 14 times... It's a tradition that started 4 years ago when we had a 90+ year old veteran of Tarawa Atoll tell us about his dream to hear Taps blown every hour throughout the nation on Memorial Day...

So all went well for the little we could do on Memorial Day. I had 8 guys show up to do a rifle squad an fire three volleys in each of the two cemeteries here in the Ville. I blew Taps after each of the firings... Then I spent the day blowing Taps from a different corner in the Ville each hour... Total of 14 times... It's a tradition that started 4 years ago when we had a 90+ year old veteran of Tarawa Atoll tell us about his dream to hear Taps blown every hour throughout the nation on Memorial Day...
Everything Ollie does for his brother soldiers:
:salute: :yes_text12: :salute:

I'm having a bit of a dilemma here and need some input, advice, and to find out what YOU would do in this situation. Its probably going to be semi long, this post. Bear with me.

It's about Abby, the stray cat I adopted and has been so sick but is now much MUCH better. She loves laying on my chest and rubbing her face against mine, cuddling in my neck, kneading my boobs when she can, lol. But she only does this at night, just before I go to bed, and before she heads outside. Again. Sometimes I don't see her for 2 days. She LOVES being outside. She is an alley cat thru and thru. I tamed her, yes. But not all of her. She used to hang out in the house but just can't handle it for too long. Evie, the first cat I tamed and is mine, likes being in the window sill or in her cat tree or on my bed. She likes being outside too, but she is more an inside cat. Making her STAY inside forever will not be a problem with her and I am training her to be comfy with a body collar and leash because where we will eventually be moving, cats cannot be in/out. They can only be outside on a leash. Evie will deal with this. Abby...no. She will have a fit. AND, she will hate being locked up inside an apartment forever.

I can't take Abby, and WON'T take Abby to the pound. They would kill her. I can't take her to a no kill shelter because she has lymphoma/cat leukemia. I cannot find a shelter that has cats with her ailments that she could be housed with until a home was found IF a home was found at all. Most people want healthy cats. Abby is, until the disease kicks in and she gets sick. So that leaves out a shelter. I can't find anyone on craigslist that wants a cat with her problems, loving though she is. Like I said..everyone wants a healthy, long living cat and Abby will not live a long life.

I could put her to sleep..the vet said anytime she is ready and I am ready, there will be no problem..she will do it as soon as I request it. And I can't/won't request it because Abby is NOT sick right now and hasn't been for many months. How she really feels is unknown because she cannot tell me. She sleeps A LOT. She eats very little. She drinks A LOT of water. She just isn't a super hungry cat. She eats half a can of wet cat food (extra gravy) and about 1/4 cup of cooked chicken liver (not at the same time) and nibbles on kibble. She is small for her age, kinda skinny, but seems happy to me. Especially when she is outside under a bush napping.

Then the last thing I could do (shudder) is just leave her behind when we go. This is her alley. Her neighborhood. People put cat food out for the stays all the time. She will not go hungry. My next door neighbor said IF I chose to do that, he would feed her if I paid for her wet food, which I would gladly do. But she will not be allowed in his house due to him having two indoor healthy cats and they cannot be around Abby because what Abby has is catching to other cats. So...she would no longer have a chest/face/neck to cuddle. She would be on her own...again. It breaks my heart leaving her behind and I feel guilty just thinking about it.

My thinking is....I HATE being locked up in this apartment with no garden to enjoy. I like being outside too and have been like that since a kid. Ma had to drag me in the house when it got dark, but she had t o find me first. Up in a tree, hiding ina bush, just OUTSIDE with the critters. Abby is like me. She will HATE not ever being outside in the fresh air again, or having to enjoy it from a window sill. She is a wild semi tame cat that loves me and MrG, but are we being selfish in wanting to put her in prison for US and our guilt? Or are we showing her our love by letting her stay here and hang out with Lilith, Adam, Gobble and her two new kittens, the opposums and her own sister who is wild as all get out and wont come near me but WILL eat what I set out for her. She would not be alone cat wise...just human wise. And she would not see me again or be able to hop in the window for "lovey dovey" time.

Now....y'all are Gracie. Abby is your cat. What would YOU do?

I'm having a bit of a dilemma here and need some input, advice, and to find out what YOU would do in this situation. Its probably going to be semi long, this post. Bear with me.

It's about Abby, the stray cat I adopted and has been so sick but is now much MUCH better. She loves laying on my chest and rubbing her face against mine, cuddling in my neck, kneading my boobs when she can, lol. But she only does this at night, just before I go to bed, and before she heads outside. Again. Sometimes I don't see her for 2 days. She LOVES being outside. She is an alley cat thru and thru. I tamed her, yes. But not all of her. She used to hang out in the house but just can't handle it for too long. Evie, the first cat I tamed and is mine, likes being in the window sill or in her cat tree or on my bed. She likes being outside too, but she is more an inside cat. Making her STAY inside forever will not be a problem with her and I am training her to be comfy with a body collar and leash because where we will eventually be moving, cats cannot be in/out. They can only be outside on a leash. Evie will deal with this. Abby...no. She will have a fit. AND, she will hate being locked up inside an apartment forever.

I can't take Abby, and WON'T take Abby to the pound. They would kill her. I can't take her to a no kill shelter because she has lymphoma/cat leukemia. I cannot find a shelter that has cats with her ailments that she could be housed with until a home was found IF a home was found at all. Most people want healthy cats. Abby is, until the disease kicks in and she gets sick. So that leaves out a shelter. I can't find anyone on craigslist that wants a cat with her problems, loving though she is. Like I said..everyone wants a healthy, long living cat and Abby will not live a long life.

I could put her to sleep..the vet said anytime she is ready and I am ready, there will be no problem..she will do it as soon as I request it. And I can't/won't request it because Abby is NOT sick right now and hasn't been for many months. How she really feels is unknown because she cannot tell me. She sleeps A LOT. She eats very little. She drinks A LOT of water. She just isn't a super hungry cat. She eats half a can of wet cat food (extra gravy) and about 1/4 cup of cooked chicken liver (not at the same time) and nibbles on kibble. She is small for her age, kinda skinny, but seems happy to me. Especially when she is outside under a bush napping.

Then the last thing I could do (shudder) is just leave her behind when we go. This is her alley. Her neighborhood. People put cat food out for the stays all the time. She will not go hungry. My next door neighbor said IF I chose to do that, he would feed her if I paid for her wet food, which I would gladly do. But she will not be allowed in his house due to him having two indoor healthy cats and they cannot be around Abby because what Abby has is catching to other cats. So...she would no longer have a chest/face/neck to cuddle. She would be on her own...again. It breaks my heart leaving her behind and I feel guilty just thinking about it.

My thinking is....I HATE being locked up in this apartment with no garden to enjoy. I like being outside too and have been like that since a kid. Ma had to drag me in the house when it got dark, but she had t o find me first. Up in a tree, hiding ina bush, just OUTSIDE with the critters. Abby is like me. She will HATE not ever being outside in the fresh air again, or having to enjoy it from a window sill. She is a wild semi tame cat that loves me and MrG, but are we being selfish in wanting to put her in prison for US and our guilt? Or are we showing her our love by letting her stay here and hang out with Lilith, Adam, Gobble and her two new kittens, the opposums and her own sister who is wild as all get out and wont come near me but WILL eat what I set out for her. She would not be alone cat wise...just human wise. And she would not see me again or be able to hop in the window for "lovey dovey" time.

Has your 'home' apartment become available for sure? Your move is imminent? If not, you don't have to decide today, and just continue as you are.

But if you're moving for sure, I think I probably would just take Abby with me and give her a chance to adjust, maybe even adapt to the leash. I was surprised how quickly our 16-year-old Tomcat adjusted to and tolerated the leash when he had to have it. If she cannot adjust or adapt, then decide what is best for her. Tough choice either way though.

Everything Ollie does for his brother soldiers:
:salute: :yes_text12: :salute:
Well, not everything...

I'd talk to the vet again about the most humane way to help her leave the world, knowing that what needs to be done is the right thing to do. Yes, it will sting your heart, but you can rest assured that you did all you could for her in her life, and she will rest in peace and thank you in heaven someday for letting her go without pain. :huddle:

Still wrestling with this. I have time to figure it out. Couple of months, at least. I think. Hell, could be next week for all I know. Been waiting 5 years now and we were next, but...a veteran applied and now we have been kicked back again. He comes first. Which is fine with me. He deserves it.

Anyway....I dunno. Foxy made sense too..to give her a chance. But I KNOW she is going to hate it. Plus its a 6 hour drive. Can her health deal with that? Plus being locked up FOREVER inside a 530 sq ft apartment? FOREVER? She loves it outside so very much. I think I have come to at least two choices...take her and hope she doesn't die on the trip or soon after with a flareup when she is doing so well now......OR...leave her behind and make arrangements with John, my neighbor, to feed her. I will gladly send her a case of cat food via amazon whenever he needs it...and I will pay for him to take her to the vet when its her time if she is sick, looks sick, acts sick and I am not here to soothe her.

Then again..I might change my mind again. Sigh.

My friend Anne, she said leave her with John, that I would be doing her no favors putting her in prison forever. Shes an alley cat. She can take her chances along with the rest of the alley cats that roam this alley. She is not being mean saying that...she is pretending to be Abby. She asked me what I THINK Abby would say if I asked her what I should do. I think Abby would say....leave me here. But I'm not a cat and I am not Abby and I am selfish and I want her with me BUT I don't want her miserable either and she will be if I lock her ass up. No place to walk her either if we go back to beach. Small complex, not seniors...its everyone of any age. No private garden, patio or balconey. Just a box to die in...not far from the beach. Where would I take her to walk on a leash? It would freak her out.

Still wrestling with this. I have time to figure it out. Couple of months, at least. I think. Hell, could be next week for all I know. Been waiting 5 years now and we were next, but...a veteran applied and now we have been kicked back again. He comes first. Which is fine with me. He deserves it.

Anyway....I dunno. Foxy made sense too..to give her a chance. But I KNOW she is going to hate it. Plus its a 6 hour drive. Can her health deal with that? Plus being locked up FOREVER inside a 530 sq ft apartment? FOREVER? She loves it outside so very much. I think I have come to at least two choices...take her and hope she doesn't die on the trip or soon after with a flareup when she is doing so well now......OR...leave her behind and make arrangements with John, my neighbor, to feed her. I will gladly send her a case of cat food via amazon whenever he needs it...and I will pay for him to take her to the vet when its her time if she is sick, looks sick, acts sick and I am not here to soothe her.

Then again..I might change my mind again. Sigh.

My friend Anne, she said leave her with John, that I would be doing her no favors putting her in prison forever. Shes an alley cat. She can take her chances along with the rest of the alley cats that roam this alley. She is not being mean saying that...she is pretending to be Abby. She asked me what I THINK Abby would say if I asked her what I should do. I think Abby would say....leave me here. But I'm not a cat and I am not Abby and I am selfish and I want her with me BUT I don't want her miserable either and she will be if I lock her ass up. No place to walk her either if we go back to beach. Small complex, not seniors...its everyone of any age. No private garden, patio or balconey. Just a box to die in...not far from the beach. Where would I take her to walk on a leash? It would freak her out.

I just think when the time comes, you'll know what you need to do both for you and for Abby. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy her.

Forum List

Back