USMB Coffee Shop IV

An idea for your old appliances:

1590183817951.png

More fun....... Yesterday the washing machine went on the blink....... About an hour ago went out to the garage with water flowing out from the water heater....... Luckily I found a plumber to come out this afternoon for the water heater. It's gonna cost almost two grand to replace it....... Now I know where the rest of our stimulus money is going........

$2k for a water heater? For the two of you? Ours is about to go out we think but it will be about $500 plus labor to replace it.
Normally yes but new codes have been put in place that require an expansion tank and earthquake straps as well as reworking the gas lines where it comes into the burner to meet new code. All the parts, water heater and expansion tank were around $1600, the rest was a combination of labor and an after hours fee. The guy that came to do the work was the only one available and this was his day off so I had to pay $150 extra for him to come into work. Not bad considering everyone else I called wanted more and wouldn't be able to get to it until next week........
So if you haven't had these things done already expect to pay around $2000 the next time you need it replaced.

More fun....... Yesterday the washing machine went on the blink....... About an hour ago went out to the garage with water flowing out from the water heater....... Luckily I found a plumber to come out this afternoon for the water heater. It's gonna cost almost two grand to replace it....... Now I know where the rest of our stimulus money is going........

$2k for a water heater? For the two of you? Ours is about to go out we think but it will be about $500 plus labor to replace it.
Normally yes but new codes have been put in place that require an expansion tank and earthquake straps as well as reworking the gas lines where it comes into the burner to meet new code. All the parts, water heater and expansion tank were around $1600, the rest was a combination of labor and an after hours fee. The guy that came to do the work was the only one available and this was his day off so I had to pay $150 extra for him to come into work. Not bad considering everyone else I called wanted more and wouldn't be able to get to it until next week........
So if you haven't had these things done already expect to pay around $2000 the next time you need it replaced.
Oh and the water heater is a Bradford White Defender, they're around $1200 to $1800 and one of the best on the market. Their internal workings help eliminate sediment buildup and keep the water hotter longer, better internal insulation so more efficient.
Sure you can get a $400 to $600 water heater (that's what the cheap ones are going for these days) but it won't be as efficient and won't last nearly as long, this one will most likely outlast me.

Oh and the water heater is a Bradford White Defender, they're around $1200 to $1800 and one of the best on the market. Their internal workings help eliminate sediment buildup and keep the water hotter longer, better internal insulation so more efficient.
Sure you can get a $400 to $600 water heater (that's what the cheap ones are going for these days) but it won't be as efficient and won't last nearly as long, this one will most likely outlast me.
Have you considered a tankless water heater? I have a Bosch AquaStar liquid propane heater and would never have an electric water heater again.

Check 'em out

Have you considered a tankless water heater? I have a Bosch AquaStar liquid propane heater and would never have an electric water heater again.

Check 'em out

I would love to but the initial cost is beyond my reach, $4000 - $5000.

Find another plumber, always get 3 bids. Try your water department they install cause of energy efficiency. I paid less than $300 for one did it myself in half hr.

Find another plumber, always get 3 bids. Try your water department they install cause of energy efficiency. I paid less than $300 for one did it myself in half hr.
I checked 5 plumbers, they were the cheapest and they were able to get someone out TODAY!!!!! I don't know when you did yours but as I explained earlier the cheap water heaters start at $400 and go up. The one they installed is high efficeincy and one of the best on the market, not cheap. Plus the building codes were recently updated/changed, all new water heaters MUST have an expansion tank, earthquake straps and the gas feed configuration had to be upgraded to meet code. All the parts including the hot water heater, expansion tank and plumbing came to $1600.
Ten years ago I would have done it myself, now it would have been near impossible for me to do it.

Ugh ouch.

Ceptco/septco the best. Stome lined. Used to install them. HEAVY!!!!!

Ceptco/septco the best. Stome lined. Used to install them. HEAVY!!!!!
Those things are kinda old school tech. One of the reasons water heaters are becoming more expensive is they're not just a tank for water with a heat source any longer. They keep the water cycling in a whirlpool configuration to cut down on sediment build up and it apparently keeps the water hotter, longer, they're built better, at least the real expensive ones are. The one they replaced was the same brand but with the old heated tank tech and it lasted over 20 years.
I'd heard of the stone lined ones but never considered it as the water heaters years ago were a dime a dozen so it didn't matter if they only lasted 5-10 years they were cheap to replace.

Okay now I'm officially worried about Corazon. At the time of our last contact with her, Manila was in the bullseye of a massive cyclone. So I hope she's fine and maybe no worse off than being without power?
Hey I'm here! :hhello:
Luckily we didn't have many damages here just some problems with Internet! The connection kept cutting down (and this could only be due to the typhoon :mad:)
Thanks to all of you guys for being worried for me :smiliehug:

Oh I'm happy you checked in Corazon. I've been thinking about you and sending up a prayer or two since the typhoon hit. But as you said you guys pretty much take those things in stride.
:re::thankusmile:

Awe thats perfect and if you turn it on they can stay warm too!

Hey derk. I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop? We're happy you found us. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and then keep joining right in.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage. Don't know what this is, but it looks good.

View attachment 340012

Hey derk. I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and then keep on joining right in.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage. Don't know what this is, but it looks good:

1590260847411.png

Hey derk. I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and then keep on joining right in.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage. Don't know what this is, but it looks good:

View attachment 340014
It looks very much like a Jamaican "Mint Tea" or "Mint Julep." I drank them quite frequently while I was there, working.
1589969410040.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Those things are kinda old school tech. One of the reasons water heaters are becoming more expensive is they're not just a tank for water with a heat source any longer. They keep the water cycling in a whirlpool configuration to cut down on sediment build up and it apparently keeps the water hotter, longer, they're built better, at least the real expensive ones are. The one they replaced was the same brand but with the old heated tank tech and it lasted over 20 years.
I'd heard of the stone lined ones but never considered it as the water heaters years ago were a dime a dozen so it didn't matter if they only lasted 5-10 years they were cheap to replace.

Old school but efficient (for their time, I put them in 30 years ago). Damn things were heavy.

Now that's very cool about the re circulation!

View attachment 340014

Fish tank cleaner?

New Topics

Forum List

Back