USMB Coffee Shop IV

Lots of closures, hospitals, schools, performances and meetings cancelled all over the area. I've lived here 30 years and this is the biggest earthquake I've experienced. Dang, another after shock!
Just checking in to see how you're doing. Don't have your phone number anymore and was worried about you with the earthquake. Glad you are okay.
Hey, Sheila! I was wondering how you were doing. Every time I drive home on a nice day and see Denali, I think of you and how it just wasn't cooperative that day you came up. Did you get your kitchen remodel done?
I'm doing OK, a little damage but nothing "earthshaking" (pun intended).

So glad you are okay. Hope the damage is easily repairable. I often think of that trip too. You were so good to us.

GW hasn't posted for several hours now. I wonder if he is trying to get home? I have no idea how dangerous that may or may not be but am sending a few prayers and positive vibes out just in case.
More dangerous for rude drivers. In standstill traffic it is an effort not to jerk some a-hole out of their car and whip them to within an inch of their life. Everyone will get where they need to, a lot faster if all of us behave and are courteous. The worst choke point was where they were routing three lanes of highway traffic off the highway and through Eagle River. Fortunately, most of the people trying to get to ER and after that driving was pretty much normal until the one spot where a pothole had swallowed the inbound lanes of the highway. There, outbound traffic was routed off the highway onto a frontage road and the inbound traffic along the normally outbound lanes. My big crunch was fuel. Yesterday as a fill-up day but all my regular stops were either closed or had lines out of sight. I thought I'd have a chance to fuel up in Eagle River but all four gas stations were closed. On to Wasilla. I found a couple of gas stations open and dispensing fuel but the one I stopped at had a 10 gallon limit. That got me home, it's all I needed.

I might take this more seriously if I didn't remember what you thought was "heavy traffic." lol

DtNlGjbWkAEZmtt.jpg

Especially thinking of the folks in and around Anchorage dealing with the aftermath of the earthquakes and aftershocks, and especially our friend gallantwarrior and his homestead and his beloved critters on it. And all those still displaced or devastated by the California fires.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Ringel and Mrs. Ringel awaiting a treatment plan.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

0e52385e8878634c163e131dfca6d967.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your painting when it's done, Dajjjal. :)

I just posted a new picture of my pic in the 'my painting' thread in arts and crafts forum.. Ignore the previous terrible photo I posted the other day. It depressed me so much I spent the next day in bed.. But the new photo is
more to my liking.

GW hasn't posted for several hours now. I wonder if he is trying to get home? I have no idea how dangerous that may or may not be but am sending a few prayers and positive vibes out just in case.

Local news here was just showing a jeep/suv driving over/thru/around a big hole in the road and my first thought was......is that YOU, GW?? Though I don't know what kind of vehicle he has.

He works at the airport??? Not sure in what manner, but I've seen where they've turned away planes...….so he may have to stick around until all incoming flights have officially landed, either there or other airports in the area :dunno:

Hopefully he'll get to post an update to let us know if all is ok

He is a skilled mechanic that fixes whatever needs fixing on the planes at the airport and oversees their general servicing. (He also teaches airplane mechanics at the university.) And he was at work when the earthquake(s) hit. He was okay but all the roads out of Anchorage have been damaged or are blocked by mud or rockslides and we think he could possibly have tried to make it to his homestead to take care of the dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys, and a sizable goat herd. He lives an hour or two north of Anchorage.

then being a mechanic and doing the servicing.....he may be stuck at work to care for the planes that had been diverted. :dunno:

With the roads being as they are, it could be near impossible to get home. Hopefully his partner did or maybe a friend or neighbor to care for the animals?

If nothing else, most animals can survive some tough situations as long as they have water.
Unfortunately, water is the problem. I have to thaw it out daily and add fresh.

To be completely honest, I was actually more concerned about predators but didn't want to alarm. I don't know all of your situation, but can only imagine that if you're on 200 acres you'd have to be far enough away from civilization and would be at greater risk.

Animals can survive a while without water depending on how long, they just won't be happy about it. Have you looked into heated waterers? I know some are electric which may or may not be practical for you, but maybe battery operated??? I don't know how effective in your climate, or even if safe, but might be worth looking into.
I haven't found any battery-powered heated buckets yet but there are ways of powering with solar to charge batteries and using an inverter. Problem here is-too little sun. Right now, sunrise is about quarter to 10, sunset about quarter to 4. We're still three weeks short of winter solstice so we'll get down to less than five hours of daylight daily. Of course, that's daylight when there isn't overcast or snow. It works for me when I use galvanized buckets that I can melt ice on a field stove and then add fresh water but that has to be done at least once a day.
Predators aren't a problem between the Great Pyrenees dogs I keep in the pens with the goats and the electric fences. Dogs will discourage dogs and bears. Electric works in the summer and is an effective bear deterrent. I worry more about eagles, ravens, and hawks getting my chickens but the tom turkey makes a good warning system when winged predators show up. Turkey sets up the alarm and the other birds run for cover. It's kind of fun to watch.

Lots of closures, hospitals, schools, performances and meetings cancelled all over the area. I've lived here 30 years and this is the biggest earthquake I've experienced. Dang, another after shock!
Just checking in to see how you're doing. Don't have your phone number anymore and was worried about you with the earthquake. Glad you are okay.
Hey, Sheila! I was wondering how you were doing. Every time I drive home on a nice day and see Denali, I think of you and how it just wasn't cooperative that day you came up. Did you get your kitchen remodel done?

So glad you are okay. Hope the damage is easily repairable. I often think of that trip too. You were so good to us.
Why replace wine glasses? Any guests are welcome to bring their own bottle and we'll just pass that around, yanno, like in high school? It's not like I get too many guests, anyhow.
I enjoyed your visit. As you have guessed, we Alaskans love to show off our life-sized post card. Too bad my place didn't live up to the "Alaskan Bush People" standards. But you did get to see a much more realistic representation of an Alaskan homestead. If you ever make it up this way again, we'll have to get together for another little road trip. I loved having you both.

Back at work and comparing notes with colleagues, I am lucky. Some have structural damage to their homes, others lost antiques and family heirlooms. Someone's dog ran away and they are still looking for him. I guess some animals get really upset. Hell, my cats just lay there probably wondering when I'll serve canned food again. The one that snores didn't even stop snoring! I'm not sure how the field dogs, goats, and fowl responded because I wasn't home. I don't think I'm all that interested in finding out, though.

Okay, I really am headed for bed now. But for our insomniacs and early risers, something to keep you occupied:

47169811_1182257311949139_7034467500913852416_n.jpg

5. 1 rabbit, 2 monkeys, 2 parrots.

The elephants aren't going to the river, the rabbit just saw them while it was going to the river. Every elephant saw 2 monkeys going to the river, no reason they didn't all see the same 2 monkeys.

Local news here was just showing a jeep/suv driving over/thru/around a big hole in the road and my first thought was......is that YOU, GW?? Though I don't know what kind of vehicle he has.

He works at the airport??? Not sure in what manner, but I've seen where they've turned away planes...….so he may have to stick around until all incoming flights have officially landed, either there or other airports in the area :dunno:

Hopefully he'll get to post an update to let us know if all is ok

He is a skilled mechanic that fixes whatever needs fixing on the planes at the airport and oversees their general servicing. (He also teaches airplane mechanics at the university.) And he was at work when the earthquake(s) hit. He was okay but all the roads out of Anchorage have been damaged or are blocked by mud or rockslides and we think he could possibly have tried to make it to his homestead to take care of the dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys, and a sizable goat herd. He lives an hour or two north of Anchorage.

then being a mechanic and doing the servicing.....he may be stuck at work to care for the planes that had been diverted. :dunno:

With the roads being as they are, it could be near impossible to get home. Hopefully his partner did or maybe a friend or neighbor to care for the animals?

If nothing else, most animals can survive some tough situations as long as they have water.

To be completely honest, I was actually more concerned about predators but didn't want to alarm. I don't know all of your situation, but can only imagine that if you're on 200 acres you'd have to be far enough away from civilization and would be at greater risk.

Animals can survive a while without water depending on how long, they just won't be happy about it. Have you looked into heated waterers? I know some are electric which may or may not be practical for you, but maybe battery operated??? I don't know how effective in your climate, or even if safe, but might be worth looking into.
I haven't found any battery-powered heated buckets yet but there are ways of powering with solar to charge batteries and using an inverter. Problem here is-too little sun. Right now, sunrise is about quarter to 10, sunset about quarter to 4. We're still three weeks short of winter solstice so we'll get down to less than five hours of daylight daily. Of course, that's daylight when there isn't overcast or snow. It works for me when I use galvanized buckets that I can melt ice on a field stove and then add fresh water but that has to be done at least once a day.
Predators aren't a problem between the Great Pyrenees dogs I keep in the pens with the goats and the electric fences. Dogs will discourage dogs and bears. Electric works in the summer and is an effective bear deterrent. I worry more about eagles, ravens, and hawks getting my chickens but the tom turkey makes a good warning system when winged predators show up. Turkey sets up the alarm and the other birds run for cover. It's kind of fun to watch.

I have heard that about turkeys and that is why many farmers/ranchers in New Mexico keep at least one or two big toms as 'watch turkeys'.

I remember up on the mountain the birds would be flocking to the feeders and there would be lots of chirping and other bird calls. But when the shadow of the golden eagles passed over all chattering and motion stopped. Everybody--jays, doves, grosbeaks, finches, et al--moved quickly into the branches of the nearest pinon or flattened motionless where they were. Interesting to watch.

Okay, I really am headed for bed now. But for our insomniacs and early risers, something to keep you occupied:

47169811_1182257311949139_7034467500913852416_n.jpg

5. 1 rabbit, 2 monkeys, 2 parrots.

The elephants aren't going to the river, the rabbit just saw them while it was going to the river. Every elephant saw 2 monkeys going to the river, no reason they didn't all see the same 2 monkeys.

I don't know what the intended answer is, but that works for me assuming we are going to classify a parrot as an animal. :)

Last edited:

I have heard that about turkeys and that is why many farmers/ranchers in New Mexico keep at least one or two big toms as 'watch turkeys'.

I remember up on the mountain the birds would be flocking to the feeders and there would be lots of chirping and other bird calls. But when the shadow of the golden eagles passed over all chattering and motion stopped. Everybody--jays, doves, grosbeaks, finches, et al--moved quickly into the branches of the nearest pinon or flattened motionless where they were. Interesting to watch.
Passing shadows shut the squirrels up, too. Stand hunting for deer, we used to wish fervently that a winged predator would show up just to shut the noisy squirrels up.

Why replace wine glasses? Any guests are welcome to bring their own bottle and we'll just pass that around, yanno, like in high school? It's not like I get too many guests, anyhow.
I enjoyed your visit. As you have guessed, we Alaskans love to show off our life-sized post card. Too bad my place didn't live up to the "Alaskan Bush People" standards. But you did get to see a much more realistic representation of an Alaskan homestead. If you ever make it up this way again, we'll have to get together for another little road trip. I loved having you both.

I will always regret not being at home when you came through Albuquerque. I would have so enjoyed having lunch with you and yours and meeting you in person. The only Coffee Shopper I have had the privilege to meet in person is Ringel and I was not disappointed. I am pretty sure I would feel the same way about the rest of you. :)

I will always regret not being at home when you came through Albuquerque. I would have so enjoyed having lunch with you and yours and meeting you in person. The only Coffee Shopper I have had the privilege to meet in person is Ringel and I was not disappointed. I am pretty sure I would feel the same way about the rest of you. :)
Who knows what the future may bring. Also: be careful what you wish for!:muahaha:

Forum List

Back