USMB Coffee Shop IV

Lakes now have good ice early this year. Went by local lake and the diehard anglers are driving trucks out there now.
Guess I should dig out the gear.
Sit in a fish house and drink. Best way to pass winter up north.

Ice fishing is something I have never done. Some of our high mountain northern lakes freeze sufficiently for ice fishing, and I once had an opportunity to do so at Eagle Nest, but something came up and we had to change our plans. But it does seem like a chilly way to fish even if you have an ice house. Our winter fisherman usually don't.
Huge industry around ice fishing...
Got the money guys set up nice...
download (6).jpeg download (7).jpeg
Just a portable behind a snowmobile for me.
Small towns at reefs develop on the lakes with houses of every size and shape.

It's a new year. Thought I'd check in and see if anyone I know is still here.....

Sheila!!! So happy you did. And there are a lot of us still here plus a lot of new friends you should get to know. Hope all is well with you and yours. I can't look at goings on up there in the northwest without thinking about you and wondering how you and the Mr. and the boys are doing.

Lakes now have good ice early this year. Went by local lake and the diehard anglers are driving trucks out there now.

Ice fishing is something I have never done. Some of our high mountain northern lakes freeze sufficiently for ice fishing, and I once had an opportunity to do so at Eagle Nest, but something came up and we had to change our plans. But it does seem like a chilly way to fish even if you have an ice house. Our winter fisherman usually don't.
View attachment 169244 View attachment 169241

But they aren't actually out on the ice are they and you fish through the floor? What keeps them there when the ice melts?

But they aren't actually out on the ice are they and you fish through the floor? What keeps them there when the ice melts?
Some are tow trailers that lower to the ice. Tow out with pickup and tow off end of day. Literally RV quality sleepers that can also be used in summer. Very costly.
More permanent style houses the owners will pay the shoreline resort to move, check up on, and remove from ice based on conditions. Feb. 31 all permanent houses must be removed from lakes.
Resorts plow ice roads on the large lakes. Even put up signage.
A few stock photos...
download (8).jpeg download (9).jpeg images (28).jpeg
And the occasional oops...for ringle...images (27).jpeg
There is several fatalities a year however. I rarely use a vehicle preferring a snowmobile or atv. Costs too much to remove it. Gets a little intimidating driving a couple miles from shore over deep water.

It's a new year. Thought I'd check in and see if anyone I know is still here.....

Sheila!!! So happy you did. And there are a lot of us still here plus a lot of new friends you should get to know. Hope all is well with you and yours. I can't look at goings on up there in the northwest without thinking about you and wondering how you and the Mr. and the boys are doing.

Thank you Foxy. We had a great Christmas, it was actually a white one. We loved it. I had my friend and her family of 10 over so there were 16 of us for Christmas dinner. She's in her 80's and she hasn't had a Christmas she didn't have to cook since her oldest son, now 60 was 2 years old. I really enjoyed myself. Got some Almond Champagne for my birthday from Wilson Creek Winery near San Diego. Good stuff. We had a good year. Mike's Parkinson's is still with us and he's getting a little worse but his painting is improving and he actually has a show at our city hall in july-sep. we are really excited. They only chose 4 people out of all the applicants. The others have different places and times to hang their work. We are getting older and I'm having to come to terms with my arthritis. I can't even open a darn jar these days.

I hope you all are doing well and I've been thinking of you, but I've been busy too. Mostly volunteering. Grandpa moves in with us this month. He's finally getting to the point where he needs help and we can't afford assisted living so it's up to us. Sadly, we're not in much better shape. Oh, well, it's a new year and we have new goals to reach. We will make it like we have all the previous years. I will say I'm glad to have handed out lunches to the homeless all these years because we have plenty of people to help grandpa move in.

Thank you Foxy. We had a great Christmas, it was actually a white one. We loved it. I had my friend and her family of 10 over so there were 16 of us for Christmas dinner. She's in her 80's and she hasn't had a Christmas she didn't have to cook since her oldest son, now 60 was 2 years old. I really enjoyed myself. Got some Almond Champagne for my birthday from Wilson Creek Winery near San Diego. Good stuff. We had a good year. Mike's Parkinson's is still with us and he's getting a little worse but his painting is improving and he actually has a show at our city hall in july-sep. we are really excited. They only chose 4 people out of all the applicants. The others have different places and times to hang their work. We are getting older and I'm having to come to terms with my arthritis. I can't even open a darn jar these days.

I hope you all are doing well and I've been thinking of you, but I've been busy too. Mostly volunteering. Grandpa moves in with us this month. He's finally getting to the point where he needs help and we can't afford assisted living so it's up to us. Sadly, we're not in much better shape. Oh, well, it's a new year and we have new goals to reach. We will make it like we have all the previous years. I will say I'm glad to have handed out lunches to the homeless all these years because we have plenty of people to help grandpa move in.

I hear that. Hombre and I are constantly frustrated that we don't have the strength, stamina, or capability of doing things like we once did, but we are the sole caretakers that my aunt, age 91, can count on. She is still living along in her huge home and still drives herself to easy location--anything that requires negotiating serious traffic or isn't clear in her head where it is, Hombre or I drive. So we schedule our lives in part around hers. But its all good. Not complaining. But it does help explain how it is for so many.

Anyway, everybody is busy but it feels good for old friends to touch base once n awhile. So hope you won't be a stranger.

Some are tow trailers that lower to the ice. Tow out with pickup and tow off end of day. Literally RV quality sleepers that can also be used in summer. Very costly.
More permanent style houses the owners will pay the shoreline resort to move, check up on, and remove from ice based on conditions. Feb. 31 all permanent houses must be removed from lakes.
A few stock photos...
View attachment 169273 View attachment 169275 View attachment 169276
And the occasional oops...for ringle...View attachment 169278
There is several fatalities a year however. I rarely use a vehicle preferring a snowmobile or atv. Costs too much to remove it. Gets a little intimidating driving a couple miles from shore over deep water.

Great post. I learned more about ice fishing here in one Coffee Shop post than I ever knew in my entire life. But now that I know, all I have to say is you guys must want to fish really really bad. :)

Oh, can I relate to not able to open a jar? Why yes, I can. Unless I get peeved. The adrenaline rush is awesome. Jars are at my mercy..and anyone else that gets in my way. :lol:

Haven't heard from gallantwarrior for some time. Hope it is because he has been off the grid and not because of a problem.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
ricechickie for impending surgery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Hope every one had a chance to see the wonderful wolf moon tonight, the first of two super moons we will see this month.
star-wolf-full-moon.jpg

I think he is installing solar stuff cuz our last phone convo was last week and he said his fridge is the front porch (ice and snow) but he missed a real one. ;)

But I hope he checks in soon anyway. I miss when he isn't playing catch up.

A few stock photos...
View attachment 169273 View attachment 169275 View attachment 169276
And the occasional oops...for ringle...View attachment 169278

Great post. I learned more about ice fishing here in one Coffee Shop post than I ever knew in my entire life. But now that I know, all I have to say is you guys must want to fish really really bad. :)
Anything to get away from the house in winter.
We fight cabin fever by spending time in a smaller shack.
Makes perfect sense after the brain freezes.

I think he is installing solar stuff cuz our last phone convo was last week and he said his fridge is the front porch (ice and snow) but he missed a real one. ;)

But I hope he checks in soon anyway. I miss when he isn't playing catch up.

Solar stuff in Alaska? I didn't think they got enough sun. But who knows.

It is currently 10 degrees here in NE, and they are saying it should get up to 30 today! Heat wave! Time to break out the shorts and flip flops! :D

Absolutely. I remember in Kansas after we got through a sub zero spell, those 20's and 30's felt absolutely balmy. You almost felt like you didn't need a coat to go out.

Forum List

Back