USA Visitor Visa Rejected on Basis of One Question

Mable

Rookie
Oct 5, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure which message board to post in, so when I googled "Immigration Forum", this website turned up.

This question is about getting Visitor Visa to USA, not Immigration.

I'm born and raised in the US, and am trying to sponsor my younger cousin to US for visiting other relatives, site-seeing, etc.

I put in all the necessary paperwork, and more. My cousin spent every waking hour for the last two months to make sure he has the necessary paperwork, and followed the instructions on US Consulate website carefully.

Yesterday was his appointment at the US Consulate in New Delhi, India. He arrived on time with all the paperwork. When he was called to the counter, the person asked, "Are you married?", and when he replied, "No", the person said, "Try next time".

The person behind the counter did not ask to see any of the paperwork my cousin had, instead my cousin was told to "Try next time."

Naturally, we are all disappointed because we were having high hopes for him to come and visit our beautiful country. And of course, my cousin is most upset, because he always dreamed of visiting USA.

How can we go forward?

What is the relevance of asking, "Are you married?", and then rejecting the person request for Visitor Visa? My cousin helps his dad with his business back in India, plus they have other properties to take care of. His intent is to return back to India to help his father because he is the only son.

We just don't know how to proceed.

Any guidance you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mable

Last edited:
When dealing with immigration issues, talk to a lawyer. $150 for an hour is golden, as they will give you useful advice.

What you get here is not useful. Or helpful.

You might also look up the address of the ambassador to India and the chief of consular affairs and send them each a registered letter explaining what happend without any insults, pejorative comments or whining. If you have the name of the guy at the window, include that. That kind of response from the consular official will result in him being disciplined.

When dealing with immigration issues, talk to a lawyer. $150 for an hour is golden, as they will give you useful advice.

That kind of response from the consular official will result in him being disciplined.

Baruch you're an Angel!

Will get started on this right away.

Thank you!

Go back and tell the same person that he IS married?

All Indians look pretty much alike, so he won't be recognised.

in issuing a tourist visa they want to know what ties you have to the country and the chances are you will return. Perhaps the person who did the interview felt since he was not married he did not have strong ties to India and that there was a risk he would not return. I think it is wrong to immediately reject based on that one question without taking into account other factors on whether he will return or not. You must pay for the appointment and it isn't cheap so it is pretty bogus to just say no because he answered that he was single.

New Topics

Forum List

Back