USA Strives for Mediocrity in S&T

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
Our administration strives for mediocrity. I am not surprised, either.
White House Science ‘Czar’ Tells Students: U.S. Can’t Expect to Be Number One in Science and Technology Forever
Monday, April 12, 2010
By Christopher Neefus

(CNSNews.com) – The Obama administration’s top science and technology official, who has argued for the economic de-development of America, warned science students last Friday that the United States cannot expect to be “number one” forever.

CNSNews.com - White House Science ?Czar? Tells Students: U.S. Can?t Expect to Be Number One in Science and Technology Forever

What 'leaders' tell folks not to aim for the top?

Apollo hero Armstrong condemns Obama space plan

(AFP) – 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Apollo 11 hero Neil Armstrong Tuesday lashed out at President Barack Obama's decision to axe NASA plans to return to the Moon, describing the move as "devastating" to the US space program.

"Without the skill and experience that actual spacecraft operation provides, the USA is far too likely to be on a long downhill slide to mediocrity," they added in the letter.
AFP: Apollo hero Armstrong condemns Obama space plan

Even Armstrong, who is vehement about staying out of the press as much as possible, cannot keep silent about the trends.

U.S. teens have weak practical math skills
Test finds Americans score as well as top foreign kids but lag in real-world applications
By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY

U.S. high school students match their peers in other nations when it comes to math skills. But ask them to apply those skills to real-world situations and things begin to look a bit bleak, a new study suggests.

The nation's 15-year-olds make a poor showing on a newly released international test of practical math applications, ranking 24th out of 29 industrialized nations, behind South Korea, Japan and most of Europe. U.S. students' scores were comparable to those in Poland, Hungary and Spain.

Results of the test, known as the Program for International Student Assessment, were released Monday by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a group of industrialized nations. It's administered every three years, this time in 29 OECD nations and 10 others. This is the first time the test has included practical math applications.

U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige called the results "a blinking warning light" that shows the need to reform U.S. high schools. Most of the students tested were 10th-graders.

USA TODAY Education - Math, Science and Technology

The Obama administration’s top science and technology official, who has argued for the economic de-development of America, warned science students last Friday that the United States cannot expect to be “number one” forever.

Especially when our academic programs emphasize creationism, deny global warming and refuse to fund stem cell research

Last edited:
I think we are wise to keep our kids out of the high pressure of success. They have enough to deal with. No reason to push them to be their best. As long as they just try.

The Obama administration’s top science and technology official, who has argued for the economic de-development of America, warned science students last Friday that the United States cannot expect to be “number one” forever.

Especially when our academic programs emphasise creationism,deny global warming and refuse to fund stem cell research
Ah, I see the source of your idiocy - your poor education.

Frankly, for all the hard work and frustration you have to deal with in being a scientist, as many of your experiments don't work, the publish or perish standards of success in science, and the low salaries for years and years of hard work, no wonder people don't strive to be scientists.

And then you have so many peopel in this country who like fantasy over reality, and bash science at any chance they get, meanwhile benefitting from all the technologies science can bring.

We need to stop babying kids in school and making passing through primary school so easy, and stop complaining when school is hard and how much work kids need to do. In so many countries, many kids learn in HS what our kids don't learn until college. But we still have great universities though.

that means there will be many unable to pass, but we shouldn't dumb down the curriculum for those that struggle academically. Raise the standards

Especially when our academic programs emphasise creationism,deny global warming and refuse to fund stem cell research

:lol: And this is just a brilliant response, you are the epitome of idiocy if you are going to defend the teaching of fantasy over reallity

I have over 30 years in R&D and testing of emerging technologies.

You?

:lol: And this is just a brilliant response, you are the epitome of idiocy if you are going to defend the teaching of fantasy over reallity
Ah. First, I'd like to know how that is defending "teaching of fantasy over reallity". Secondly, "Dr.", MY education in science never included anything mentioned by that quoted poster. Yours and the quoted poster's obviously did. I call that a poor science education. Your mileage varies, "Dr.".

Why not?

Their thinking in Washington D.C. or should say, the "Obama Regime", is already through their redistribution of wealth agenda, are lowering the living standards of millions of hard working Americans, why not take the rest of what's left of the country down the toilet too?

What's wrong with these idiots running our lives today? What's more important why are we tolerating this bullshit for so long? The guy, (Obama), in my opinion, is doing more damage to this country than any of our so called enemies have been able to do for decades! No wonder the LOVE this guy.

Personally I think after another two years of this Obama regime, Mediocrity will be a higher standard than where we'll be in ranking throughout the world. I ask again, WHO is he working for, US or THEM? I really hope I am wrong, for all our sakes.

Ah. First, I'd like to know how that is defending "teaching of fantasy over reallity". Secondly, "Dr.", MY education in science never included anything mentioned by that quoted poster. Yours and the quoted poster's obviously did. I call that a poor science education. Your mileage varies, "Dr.".

Then maybe instead of just calling people stupid and attacking them like a uneducated child, you would of stated your position from the get go. And then people would know what your beef was, and not make that assumption of you

YOu can't deny many are trying to push this bullshit into schools, and there is a large population that spouts their ignorance of science. Read to forums lately?

Why not?

Their thinking in Washington D.C. or should say, the "Obama Regime", is already through their redistribution of wealth agenda, are lowering the living standards of millions of hard working Americans, why not take the rest of what's left of the country down the toilet too?

What's wrong with these idiots running our lives today? What's more important why are we tolerating this bullshit for so long? The guy, (Obama), in my opinion, is doing more damage to this country than any of our so called enemies have been able to do for decades! No wonder the LOVE this guy.

Personally I think after another two years of this Obama regime, Mediocrity will be a higher standard than where we'll be in ranking throughout the world. I ask again, WHO is he working for, US or THEM? I really hope I am wrong, for all our sakes.
:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Another problem in this country, people who believe that whatever they want to believe is true, regardless of any facts. That they think making an argument is spouting bullshit without backing anything up with facts, if they even know what the difference between facts and opinion are

Especially when our academic programs emphasise creationism, deny global warming and refuse to fund stem cell research

Our academic programs refuse to fund stem cell research? I wasn't aware that our schools had the ability to establish, pass and enforce laws.

Rick

As the thread clearly shows, academia is overrun by kooks spouting junk science and shouting group think slogans, its little wonder the USA lost its edge.

Then maybe instead of just calling people stupid and attacking them like a uneducated child, you would of stated your position from the get go. And then people would know what your beef was, and not make that assumption of you
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Yup. It's MY fault YOU made a stupid assumption. :thup: And, that poster's education in science IS poor (didn't call him 'stupid' so don't go making up shit about what I say) as he believes what he types (or he's just dishonest). That is a fact and facts are not childish.

Too rich.

Last edited:
Frankly, for all the hard work and frustration you have to deal with in being a scientist, as many of your experiments don't work, the publish or perish standards of success in science, and the low salaries for years and years of hard work, no wonder people don't strive to be scientists.

Speak for yourself. Scientists in private industry get paid well. I should know.

Speak for yourself. Scientists in private industry get paid well. I should know.
Yes, they do. Academia and government pay poorly in comparison.

Forum List

Back