US Wind Industry Posts Second Strongest Quarter Ever

January 28th, 2016 by Joshua S Hill
The US wind industry posted its second strongest quarter ever in the fourth quarter of 2015, with more installations than in all of 2014.

According to the American Wind Energy Association, which published its results in its US Wind Industry Fourth Quarter 2015 Market Report this week, the US wind industry installed 8,598 MW during 2015, the third largest amount ever installed in a year, and a 77% increase over 2014. Specifically, the fourth quarter was the second strongest quarter ever recorded, installing 5,001 MW — in fact, developers installed more capacity during the fourth quarter than they did through the first three quarters of the year combined.
This means that at the end of 2015, the US has 74,472 MW of installed wind capacity.

Great news!!! Wind is roaring back, wahooo!!!

If only they could make sales without wasting taxpayer dollars.

Really? Coal is a bigger waste of tax dollars by quite a bit as it cost more per the amount of energy it produces then wind. Of course, I am replying to someone that thinks modern civilization is a waste of tax dollars. So please stop the internet the government helped create and go ride a horse.

The US wind industry posted its second strongest quarter ever in the fourth quarter of 2015, with more installations than in all of 2014.

According to the American Wind Energy Association, which published its results in its US Wind Industry Fourth Quarter 2015 Market Report this week, the US wind industry installed 8,598 MW during 2015, the third largest amount ever installed in a year, and a 77% increase over 2014. Specifically, the fourth quarter was the second strongest quarter ever recorded, installing 5,001 MW — in fact, developers installed more capacity during the fourth quarter than they did through the first three quarters of the year combined.
This means that at the end of 2015, the US has 74,472 MW of installed wind capacity.

Really? Coal is a bigger waste of tax dollars by quite a bit as it cost more per the amount of energy it produces then wind. Of course, I am replying to someone that thinks modern civilization is a waste of tax dollars. So please stop the internet the government helped create and go ride a horse.
europe returned to coal

Coal is a bigger waste of tax dollars

The coal industry pays taxes and generates useful amounts of reliable electricity.
The wind industry loses money, costs tax subsidies and doesn't generate reliable electricity.

I am replying to someone that thinks modern civilization is a waste of tax dollars

Wrong. Modern civilization is cool. It requires electricity that is consistent.

So please stop the internet the government helped create

Yeah, if we were dependent on a government run Internet, you might have a tiny point.

How can moving energy needs from fossil fuels be a waste?

Let's see, if you pay twice as much for a less reliable source, that would be a waste.

Who says you are paying twice as much?

You wanted an example of how moving energy needs from fossil fuels would be a waste.

I continue to wait for that answer.

I don't cheat on my taxes

You lie about them.
Tell me the one again where your trust pays a lower rate than an individual would pay.
That's always funny.

No lie.
It's a corporation.
All US corporations pay less of their total income in taxes than you do.

How can moving energy needs from fossil fuels be a waste?

Let's see, if you pay twice as much for a less reliable source, that would be a waste.

Who says you are paying twice as much?

You wanted an example of how moving energy needs from fossil fuels would be a waste.

I continue to wait for that answer.

You act as though price means nothing.

Coal is a bigger waste of tax dollars by quite a bit

You never explained how coal wastes tax dollars.

How many 100's of millions in taxpayer monies did it cost to rescue miners after their company broke safety rules?

Of course that's not true.
And trusts also pay higher rates.

Of course it is, I've already proven it.
Trusts do, trust corporations don't. Why do you think that ALL wealthy people are corporations?

Trusts do, trust corporations don't.

You'll have to show me the tax schedule for trust corporations. I can't wait!

Why do you think that ALL wealthy people are corporations?

There are lots of reasons. Single digit taxes rates aren't one of them.

How many 100's of millions in taxpayer monies did it cost to rescue miners after their company broke safety rules?

You'll have to show me. And then show me how that makes tax money wasted on wind power less of an issue.

be realistic and cut the installed capacity by 2/3 to get actual output

The reason a trust would incorporate is the rules of trusts extend only to the corporation. Past the corporation (the individual) would be corporate rules.

Tax savings is number one.

The reason a trust would incorporate is the rules of trusts extend only to the corporation. Past the corporation (the individual) would be corporate rules.

Tax savings is number one.

Income tax savings is not number one.
Why don't you post the rate schedule for these fantastical trust corporations?
To prove you aren't a lying sack of shit.
Thanks!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/b...-win-on-price-vs-conventional-fuels.html?_r=0

Utility executives say the trend has accelerated this year, with several companies signing contracts, known as power purchase agreements, for solar or wind at prices below that of natural gas, especially in the Great Plains and Southwest, where wind and sunlight are abundant.

Those prices were made possible by generous subsidies that could soon diminish or expire, but recent analyses show that even without those subsidies, alternative energies can often compete with traditional sources.

In Texas, Austin Energy signed a deal this spring for 20 years of output from a solar farm at less than 5 cents a kilowatt-hour. In September, the Grand River Dam Authority in Oklahoma announced its approval of a new agreement to buy power from a new wind farm expected to be completed next year. Grand River estimated the deal would save its customers roughly $50 million from the project.

And, also in Oklahoma, American Electric Power ended up tripling the amount of wind power it had originally sought after seeing how low the bids came in last year.

“Wind was on sale — it was a Blue Light Special,” said Jay Godfrey, managing director of renewable energy for the company. He noted that Oklahoma, unlike many states, did not require utilities to buy power from renewable sources.

“We were doing it because it made sense for our ratepayers,” he said.

According to a study by the investment banking firm Lazard, the cost of utility-scale solar energy is as low as 5.6 cents a kilowatt-hour, and wind is as low as 1.4 cents. In comparison, natural gas comes at 6.1 cents a kilowatt-hour on the low end and coal at 6.6 cents. Without subsidies, the firm’s analysis shows, solar costs about 7.2 cents a kilowatt-hour at the low end, with wind at 3.7 cents.

This is over a year old, and the prices for both wind and solar have come down considerably since then. And there are two big grid scale battery factories coming on line.

Forum List

Back