US jobless aid lowest since April

Keep listening to Biden, he'll tell you this is the greatest economy ever.
That will help you sleep nights. :rolleyes-41:

I do not listen to Biden. The folks in places like BLS and NASS do not give a fuck who the POTUS is.

Can you honestly tell me there are not help wanted signs all over your local area?

We have been going deeper and deeper in debt since Reagan was POTUS.

Why did we not hear this with all the damn debt Trump added?

Why did we not hear this with all the debt Obama added after his recession ended?

Just absorb the fact that in itself increased job openings do not necessarily represent an increase in the total number of job holders .

A simple example .
In a state that has 3 million workers in total ,1 million positions are advertised which represents a 25% increase versus previous month .
But 1 million jobs were lost over the same period with people moving away , being so ill that they stopped working , or died .
Question .
How many jobs will there be in total if all openings are filled ?
Answer.
The same figure . Three million .

The fact that openings jumped 25% versus previous month is irrelevant .

Just absorb the fact that in itself increased job openings do not necessarily represent an increase in the total number of job holders .

A simple example .
In a state that has 3 million workers in total ,1 million positions are advertised which represents a 25% increase versus previous month .
But 1 million jobs were lost over the same period with people moving away , being so ill that they stopped working , or died .
Question .
How many jobs will there be in total if all openings are filled ?
Answer.
The same figure . Three million .

The fact that openings jumped 25% versus previous month is irrelevant .

1675379597091.png

Normally you might be correct, but never have there been so many job openings in a "cooling economy".

This is what will keep what is normally the worst part of an recession from being so this time around.
Isn’t the labor participation rate lower than it should be though? And that accounts for much of the job openings?

Isn’t the labor participation rate lower than it should be though? And that accounts for much of the job openings?

That would depend on what one thinks it should be.

It peaked in the late 90s.

About the time boomers we able to start retiring.

1675424642874.png

That would depend on what one thinks it should be.

It peaked in the late 90s.

About the time boomers we able to start retiring.

View attachment 753286
People retiring wouldn't affect the participation rate would it unless they are retiring at a young age. I honestly don't know how it's calculated. I would assume there's some arbitrary age that if you're not working you don't count towards being a "non participant" on both the front and back end.

People retiring wouldn't affect the participation rate would it unless they are retiring at a young age. I honestly don't know how it's calculated. I would assume there's some arbitrary age that if you're not working you don't count towards being a "non participant" on both the front and back end.

Yes, people retiring does affect the participation rate.

The labor force participation rate represents the number of people in the labor force as a percentage of the civilian noninstitutional population. In other words, the participation rate is the percentage of the population that is either working or actively looking for work.

The labor force participation rate is calculated as: (Labor Force ÷ Civilian Noninstitutional Population) x 100.

The civilian noninstitutional population includes everyone 16 and over not in prison or in the military.

Yes, people retiring does affect the participation rate.

The labor force participation rate represents the number of people in the labor force as a percentage of the civilian noninstitutional population. In other words, the participation rate is the percentage of the population that is either working or actively looking for work.

The labor force participation rate is calculated as: (Labor Force ÷ Civilian Noninstitutional Population) x 100.

The civilian noninstitutional population includes everyone 16 and over not in prison or in the military.
Odd way of calculating it. And in that case it doesnt seem to nearly as useful.

Odd way of calculating it. And in that case it doesnt seem to nearly as useful.

It is useful but it is not the end all that many want it to be.

It is good to know what percent of your population is not working as they are still using resources without actually adding any revenue.

It is good to know what percent of your population is not working as they are still using resources without actually adding any revenue.
Fair, but if a significant portion of that non working population isnt working because they retired and have saved the resources to do so it's less informative. Knowing what percentage of the nonworking number is not working because they dont have to vs cant/wont/on the dole would be informative. That number might be tough to get I guess though.

Better yet a not working because 1, 2, 3, 4 categories of reasons

Retired
Cant find work in field
Family decision
whatever.

Forum List

Back