US is worse off now than it was a year ago

I would ask you why you think he is the worst ever. I may even laugh at your opinion. But if you say he was a system QB who always played with HoF players and had HoF coaches then sure, your opinion is valid. It would be highly disputed but valid.
Gotcha. You’re completely out of your mind then.

All opinions are not valid. Get over it.

Gotcha. You’re completely out of your mind then.

All opinions are not valid. Get over it.
Of course they are. Unless they can be disproven by facts. So if you say it never rains in London and I can prove factually that it has then it is no longer an opinion. If you say it doesn't rain that badly in London then its an opinion and cannot be wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble, orderly.

Here is the definition for you again: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Because you and I aren't pals and we rarely agree. So now colfax_m can see that even those that think more like him vs. like myself agree that an opinion may not be wrong. So how can 56% of Independents be wrong in their opinion as he claims?
People’s perception of the economy is very often not driven by facts that accurately represent the economy and is highly influence by political persuasion, media coverage and popular sentiment.

Of course they are. Unless they can be disproven by facts. So if you say it never rains in London and I can prove factually that it has then it is no longer an opinion. If you say it doesn't rain that badly in London then its an opinion and cannot be wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble, orderly.

Here is the definition for you again: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
Doesn’t matter. The belief that all opinions are valid is absurd and destructive.

It’s a problem with the snowflake generation who is afraid of being told they’re wrong.

People’s perception of the economy is very often not driven by facts that accurately represent the economy and is highly influence by political persuasion, media coverage and popular sentiment.
Thats fine. But you said their opinion is wrong and an opinion cannot be wrong. It is possible that these Independent voters didn't appreciate the withdrawal from Afghanistan or higher gas prices or border crisis or higher crime rates. Whatever the reason you cannot call them wrong. You may definitely call them uninformed. That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Doesn’t matter. The belief that all opinions are valid is absurd and destructive.

It’s a problem with the snowflake generation who is afraid of being told they’re wrong.
It may be absurd and of course it may be destructive but it cannot be wrong.

Thats fine. But you said their opinion is wrong and an opinion cannot be wrong. It is possible that these Independent voters didn't appreciate the withdrawal from Afghanistan or higher gas prices or border crisis or higher crime rates. Whatever the reason you cannot call them wrong. You may definitely call them uninformed. That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.
So do you think I’m wrong that opinions can be wrong?

If it’s absurd, it’s wrong. Refusing to say so is destructive. Your ego can take being wrong. It’ll be okay. Being wrong doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. Everyone is wrong. Everyone has opinions that are wrong.

What is bad is failing to admit that your opinions could be wrong. We must all do this if we can grow as people.

Actually I feel sorry for Joe Biden. I am more upset with those who pushed him to run for President As they must have realized he was not up to taking on what might be the toughest job in the world.

I can’t think of one democrat who would be an obvious candidate for President. I can think of several republicans who might be a good candidate for that job.
Who are thinking on the Dem side?

Well said, all of your posts on this! Not many people can deal with the issue of what is truth, what is fact, what is opinion. These are difficult concepts, much misused these days, IMO.

If it’s absurd, it’s wrong. Refusing to say so is destructive. Your ego can take being wrong. It’ll be okay. Being wrong doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. Everyone is wrong. Everyone has opinions that are wrong.

What is bad is failing to admit that your opinions could be wrong.
We must all do this if we can grow as people.
No, opinions can't possibly be wrong. All you just said is opinion, and since we can see they are your opinions, we can't say they are wrong until you change them (the sooner the better) because what is, is. That is what you think, a good definition of opinion.

Something described as a fact can be wrong (and usually is, I've noticed) if facts are defined as an opinion backed up by an objective measurement or observation, but that observation is incorrect. Like the idea that Trump lost? That is an opinion at the moment, may always be, and it is being claimed as a fact by people who believe the election results, but as an wrongheaded opinion by those who think a lot of states jimmied the votes. A consensus may form at some point, but even a consensus will never be a fact unless there is some clearly objective measurement one way or the other that can be agreed on as the relevant measure by rational people.

People love to think the above --- whether Trump won or lost the last election -- is a "fact" one way or another, but I've noticed such facts, and indeed nearly all "facts" are simply opinions that someone badly wants others to believe.

Like that the sun rises in the East. That's only an opinion: other people think the Earth turns. Many people were tied to wooden stakes with firewood piled around them and burned alive for both opinions. So I am not a fan of saying opinions are facts.

New Topics

Forum List

Back