US Grant Miniseries

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
It started tonight. It looks really good. I just set my DVR for the repeat immediately following the one on now. On the History channel.

It started tonight. It looks really good. I just set my DVR for the repeat immediately following the one on now. On the History channel.

Fuck DeCaprio. He actually advocated for Slavery in Django Unchained, and now I guess he's flip-flopping.

Fuck DeCaprio. He actually advocated for Slavery in Django Unchained, and now I guess he's flip-flopping.
Ok, off to my ignore list with you. I’m not subjecting myself to your retardation any longer. You had your chance.

The first 2-hour part was fine, a study of the man’s early life and early military career, up to the Battle of Shiloh. So far there is no deep examination of Confederate slavery, and only a bare-bones but adequate description of the political atmosphere. It did show how Grant, even when poor and struggling to raise his family, freed a slave he inherited from his wife’s family.

Definitely worth watching! I think the next part to be shown is on Tuesday, 9 pm on Your local PBS channel.

Last edited:
fncceo
Pretty funny video. If you watch the Grant series, you may realize that the man, and his times, were about as far removed from the silly liberals portrayed in the video as ... Lincoln was from Donald Trump.

The first 2-hour part was fine, a study of the man’s early life and early military career, up to the Battle of Shiloh. So far there is no deep examination of Confederate slavery, and only a bare-bones but adequate description of the political atmosphere. It did show how Grant, even when poor and struggling to raise his family, freed a slave he inherited from his wife’s family.

Definitely worth watching! I think the next part to be shown is on Tuesday, 9 pm on Your local PBS channel.
Interesting how Grant was raised by abolitionists yet married a slave owner

It’s on History Channel

Nice break from Oak Island and Ancient Aliens

It’s on History Channel

Just because the program is on the History Channel doesn't mean that it is actually accurate. A lot of Fake history you know.

It’s on History Channel

Just because the program is on the History Channel doesn't mean that it is actually accurate. A lot of Fake history you know.
You mean there really aren’t ancient aliens?

It’s on History Channel

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that aliens really aren't part of history, per se.

But a lot of what passes for "history" nowadays, ignores major events. Gay History really doesn't discuss the history of the cities of Sodom as well as Gomorrah, where the homosexual community really achieved a lot of success and dominance long before the riots of the 1960's.

Actually, “U.S. Grant” met many wealthy Southern cadets at West Point, young patriotic men whose families owned many slaves, and he became friends with quite a few. He didn’t much like West Point life at first, but he was a marvelous horseman, so that helped. He met his wife later while visiting a fellow officer’s estate, close to the base they were both assigned to. Nobody from the Grant family would attend their marriage ceremony because Grant’s father was an inflexible abolitionist, and his father-in-law had doubts about Grant as well, who he thought too poor. But the marriage was very good and loving, and Grant’s wife was fiercely loyal to her husband. She did not technically own any slaves when they were married.

Last edited:

It’s on History Channel

th

Actually, “U.S. Grant” met many wealthy Southern cadets at West Point, young patriotic men whose families owned many slaves, and he became friends with quite a few. He didn’t much like West Point life at first, but he was a marvelous horseman, so that helped. He met his wife later while visiting a fellow officer’s estate, close to the base they were both assigned to. Nobody from the Grant family would attend their marriage ceremony because Grant’s father was an inflexible abolitionist, and his father-in-law had doubts about Grant as well, who he thought too poor. But the marriage was very good and loving, and Grant’s wife was fiercely loyal to her husband. She did not technically own any slaves when they were married.
Grant was willing to compromise his family values
He later repudiated slavery

....EVIL RACIST....etc etc ..hahhahahahhaah......sounds like what you say today----you people are so obsessed with race that it warps your minds
...why don't you look at Shaka Zulu who MURDERED thousands?

Missed the last episode. The second was OK, but with too many commercials. I recall most the point that the two men who “won” the Civil War were not Northern Yankees at all, but true Westerners — Grant and Lincoln.

ThIs all got me remembering my younger days when I used to visit Grant’s Tomb overlooking the Hudson River in Riverside Park. It was a splendid quiet place, near the magnificent Riverside Church, where MLK gave his famous speech against the Vietnam War...

I used to go to the crowded summer jazz concerts held in front of Grant’s Tomb — they still have them — where nearby Harlem and upper West Siders and everybody out for free music would gather. The Memorial was in bad shape then, with graffiti, and I never did get inside as it was almost always closed.

Now it has opened up again. Probably worth a visit if anyone is in NYC looking for a quiet place to think ...

1920px-General_Grant_National_Memorial_New_York_November_2016_003.jpeg

I was reading a bit about different historians’ views of Grant, and I found this interesting article. It may be a bit too literary for some, but I thought it was interesting. Especially liked this bit:

“In his last message as chief executive, Grant advocated public education: ‘the dividing line will not be Mason & Dixons but between patriotism, & intelligence on one side & superstition, ambition, & ignorance on the other.’ “

The Man We Buried in Grant’s Tomb

Last edited:
Missed the last episode. The second was OK, but with too many commercials. I recall most the point that the two men who “won” the Civil War were not Northern Yankees at all, but true Westerners — Grant and Lincoln.

ThIs all got me remembering my younger days when I used to visit Grant’s Tomb overlooking the Hudson River in Riverside Park. It was a splendid quiet place, near the magnificent Riverside Church, where MLK gave his famous speech against the Vietnam War...

I used to go to the crowded summer jazz concerts held in front of Grant’s Tomb — they still have them — where nearby Harlem and upper West Siders and everybody out for free music would gather. The Memorial was in bad shape then, with graffiti, and I never did get inside as it was almost always closed.

Now it has opened up again. Probably worth a visit if anyone is in NYC looking for a few quiet moments!

View attachment 342651

I was reading a bit about different historians’ views of Grant, and I found this interesting article. It may be a bit too literary for some, but I thought it was interesting. Especially liked this bit:

“In his last message as chief executive, Grant advocated public education: ‘the dividing line will not be Mason & Dixons but between patriotism, & intelligence on one side & superstition, ambition, & ignorance on the other.’ “

The Man We Buried in Grant’s Tomb

I learned about General Grant as a kid when he had his confrontation with Granny Clampett at the Culpepper Plantation in Beverly Hills. The Beverly Hillbillies and the War of Northen Aggression | Non-Fiction History of the Civil War

Robert E Lee never owned a slave and freed all his wife's slaves after she died. Stonewall Jackson and his wife operated a school for black children.

The series is a propaganda piece. Anyone who wants to really understand Ulysses Grant should read two books:

Master of War: The Life of General George H. Thomas, by Benson Bobrick

General Grant and the Rewriting of History: How the Destruction of General William S. Rosecrans Influenced Our Understanding of the Civil War, by Frank Varney

These books focus on Grant's war record but in so doing they give you a good idea of how corrupt and dishonest Grant could be.

It is odd that many of the same liberals who claim that the U.S. Government committed genocide against the American Indians view Grant as a great president, even though Grant waged a brutal war of conquest against the Indians.

I agree that the TV series often seems almost “a propaganda piece.” It certainly doesn’t delve into deep historical issues or raise many specific criticisms of the man that a more serious study would. Haven’t read the books mikegriffith1 recommends, nor even seen the last part of the series. I don’t think many people — whether “Liberals” or Conservative Republicans — would “view Grant as a great president.” Hell, I don’t think Grant himself would think that.

Forum List

Back