Sunsettommy

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2018
Watts Up With That?

US Government Urges Tesla to Recall 158,000 Vehicles Over Safety Fears

January 15, 2021

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

Excerpt:

An alleged computer hardware design defect in 158,000 Tesla Model S & X vehicles will cause important systems such as windshield de-fogging, turn signals, and the rear view cameras to malfunction after five to six years, according to the US Department of Transport.

LINK

=====

The blunder is making it expensive to replace a simple part, the part itself was known to be too small to last the life of the vehicle right from the start.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

An alleged computer hardware design defect in 158,000 Tesla Model S & X vehicles will cause important systems such as windshield de-fogging, turn signals, and the rear view cameras to malfunction after five to six years, according to the US Department of Transport.

LINK

=====

The blunder is making it expensive to replace a simple part, the part itself was known to be too small to last the life of the vehicle right from the start.
I can't think of a single vehicle that doesn't have some type of safety recall including my own high priced ride, and fools wish to trust self driving vehicles.
No thanks.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

Possible fail after 5 to 6 years or windshield defogging, turn signal or rear view cameras may fail. That isn't a safety recall, they just want and extended warranty, automatic from the manufacturor. I have never seen a vehicle that is the equal 5 to 6 years out, as when I took it off the showroom floor. Sounds like somebody just wanting to hassle Tesla.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

Possible fail after 5 to 6 years or windshield defogging, turn signal or rear view cameras may fail. That isn't a safety recall, they just want and extended warranty, automatic from the manufacturor. I have never seen a vehicle that is the equal 5 to 6 years out, as when I took it off the showroom floor. Sounds like somebody just wanting to hassle Tesla.

Did you read the article? you missed something more important. I already hinted it.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

I can't think of a single vehicle that doesn't have some type of safety recall including my own high priced ride, and fools wish to trust self driving vehicles.
No thanks.
I trust neither self driven vehicles nor people driven vehicles.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

Did you read the article? you missed something more important. I already hinted it.
I read it. Don't see it. Be blunt. Feel free to state it, instead of hinting at it.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

No thanks.
I trust neither self driven vehicles nor people driven vehicles.
Yeah.
There are some humans that need a safety recall also.
Severe programming errors.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

I read it. Don't see it. Be blunt. Feel free to state it, instead of hinting at it.

You must not read very well and I did make a hint about it.....

"The problems all stem from the hardware that powers the car’s infotainment system, also known as the media control unit (MCU): it includes an Nvidia Tegra 3 system-on-chip with 8GB of eMMC NAND storage. Over the course of five or six years, according to the NHTSA, this consumer-grade flash reaches its program-erase cycle limit. They will be unable to reliably store data, and this renders some of the car’s functions inoperable when the MCU fails."

bolding mine

An engineering blunder built right in and they make it expensive to replace it too.

That is a screw up!

I have a 25 year old Truck, a 15 year old Van, a 19 year old Cadillac, all using computer units that have yet to fail.....

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

"The problems all stem from the hardware that powers the car’s infotainment system, also known as the media control unit (MCU): it includes an Nvidia Tegra 3 system-on-chip with 8GB of eMMC NAND storage. Over the course of five or six years, according to the NHTSA, this consumer-grade flash reaches its program-erase cycle limit. They will be unable to reliably store data, and this renders some of the car’s functions inoperable when the MCU fails."

bolding mine

An engineering blunder built right in and they make it expensive to replace it too.

That is a screw up!

I have a 25 year old Truck, a 15 year old Van, a 19 year old Cadillac, all using computer units that have yet to fail.....
Not strictly speaking a safety issue as far as backup camera or turn signal chime failing to chime, though highly irritating to be sure. All components of all types are harder to replace now, but cars do not come with 15 or 19 year warranties. Tesla should look at it's response to the suggestion closely as I am sure they will.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

bolding mine

That is a screw up!

Not strictly speaking a safety issue as far as backup camera or turn signal chime failing to chime, though highly irritating to be sure. All components of all types are harder to replace now, but cars do not come with 15 or 19 year warranties. Tesla should look at it's response to the suggestion closely as I am sure they will.

It has been considered important enough to advise Tesla because a lot of customers have brought it up, here is the part you didn't consider:

"The US Department of Transport investigation was triggered by 16,000 consumer requests for service from people experiencing the problems described, so this seems to be more than a hypothetical problem.

Flash memory retains its data even when the power is switched off, but there is a limit to how many times that data can be changed. The alleged problem occurred because Tesla apparently opted to use cheap consumer grade flash memory, instead of more expensive but more durable alternatives.

Although Tesla is not legally obliged to action the US Department of Transport’s recall request, there will likely be a lot of pressure on Tesla to comply. I cannot imagine tort lawyers ignoring this recall recommendation, if someone gets hurt because of a safety failure."

======

Now Tesla is on the hook, if they sit on their ass over a KNOWN bad design, or get sued when their overrated car crash on a foggy day because they can't get their foggy windows cleared.

Customers will take note of this recall request.......

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

bolding mine

That is a screw up!

It has been considered important enough to advise Tesla because a lot of customers have brought it up, here is the part you didn't consider:

"The US Department of Transport investigation was triggered by 16,000 consumer requests for service from people experiencing the problems described, so this seems to be more than a hypothetical problem.

Flash memory retains its data even when the power is switched off, but there is a limit to how many times that data can be changed. The alleged problem occurred because Tesla apparently opted to use cheap consumer grade flash memory, instead of more expensive but more durable alternatives.

Although Tesla is not legally obliged to action the US Department of Transport’s recall request, there will likely be a lot of pressure on Tesla to comply. I cannot imagine tort lawyers ignoring this recall recommendation, if someone gets hurt because of a safety failure."

======

Now Tesla is on the hook, if they sit on their ass over a KNOWN bad design, or get sued when their overrated car crash on a foggy day because they can't get their foggy windows cleared.

Does not worry me. Of course, I do not have one. Suppose the federal government would like to step in on my 5 year old SUV, where the wipers do not slow below lower standard wiper speed when set on any of the intermittent speeds. Not that I particularly deserve it, at this point, but at least they could talk down the manufacturor, just to benefit their competition, if somebody doesn't like the manufacturer. It is the American way, right? Besides, maybe customers could be encouraged to litigate. Maybe I would be able to say, I got my money the old fashioned way, I sued the sh#t out of somebody for it, years after mfg warranty had passed.

Watts Up With That?

January 15, 2021

Excerpt:

LINK

=====

bolding mine

That is a screw up!

======

LOL Customers have taken so much note that Tesla has sold every car it has made, and has over 800,000 pre-orders for it's cybertruck, 2000 pre-orders for it's semi. Poor Tesla, they are doing so poorly they are listed as the most valuable automobile manufacturer in the world. LOL

Ponzi made SO much money for SO many people for a short time......
Usual stupid reply from the usual stupid source. Ponzi never built huge factories on three continents. And Tesla has produced very little money for the investors, as most of the profits have gone right back into the business. That is why their value as a company has increased exponentially.

Let's see. What does the newest Tesla S offer. At $140,000, it is definitely not for the average working stiff. However, by it's specs, it exceeds the capabilities of almost every luxury sedan on the market. 520 mile range, 0 to 60 mph in less than 2 seconds, a quarter mile of less than 9 seconds, 1.30.3 lap time at Laguna Seca, top speed of 200 mph. And it is made right here in America. Of course, all the 'Conservatives' here find that offensive.

Usual stupid reply from the usual stupid source. Ponzi never built huge factories on three continents. And Tesla has produced very little money for the investors, as most of the profits have gone right back into the business. That is why their value as a company has increased exponentially.

Yes, so did Ponzi's!

I AM impressed that you knew the name. Or did you have to have an adult look it for you?

Yes, so did Ponzi's!

I AM impressed that you knew the name. Or did you have to have an adult look it for you?
Again, there never was anything concrete that Ponzi built, unlike Tesla. Tesla not only has the most advanced factories that produce automobiles in the world, they sell all they can produce. Unlike most of the rest of the manufactures in this period of uncertainty, they do not have unsold inventory sitting around. And they have several profitable quarters under their belt now, and look to have several more coming up. Much of next years projected production is already sold, unlike most manufactures. And the cars they are selling in the US are made in the US.

Again, there never was anything concrete that Ponzi built, unlike Tesla. Tesla not only has the most advanced factories that produce automobiles in the world, they sell all they can produce. Unlike most of the rest of the manufactures in this period of uncertainty, they do not have unsold inventory sitting around. And they have several profitable quarters under their belt now, and look to have several more coming up. Much of next years projected production is already sold, unlike most manufactures. And the cars they are selling in the US are made in the US.

Yes, Ponzi had it figured out better. He didn't have to fake building a thing to sucker in the gullible.

New Topics

Forum List

Back