US economic downturn could get 'very serious' as Fed risks crushing demand with rate hikes: Judy Shelton

TheReaper

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2022
US economic downturn could get 'very serious' as Fed risks crushing demand with rate hikes: Judy Shelton

Former Federal Reserve Board nominee Judy Shelton warned Friday the Fed's strategy to combat inflation with rate hikes could crush supply and make the nation's economic situation worse. On "Mornings with Maria," Shelton also criticized Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen for endorsing the "wrong initiatives" like more government spending policies and regulations.

JUDY SHELTON: I think it could get very serious the longer it drags on, because if the Fed's efforts to crush inflation are instead just crushing supply, then you won't see much of an improvement on the inflation outlook, which the Fed will take as a sign that they need to be even tougher. And so they end up ratcheting higher and higher. And so I think we're looking potentially at the worst of all worlds - at an inflationary recession or stagflation. And that's what we would want to avoid. But I don't see how they're they're going to get out of this. If you have the Treasury Secretary, Janet Yellen, in her comments yesterday also included remarks praising the Inflation Reduction Act and she knows better. She was endorsing the green agenda. And she said the unfinished business of the Biden administration is to increase taxes on the wealthy and on corporations. These are exactly the wrong initiatives if you're trying to increase supply. What we really need is lower regulation, lower taxes, better energy, better trade policies, and we need to expand supply. Economic growth is not inflationary. Low unemployment is not inflationary. It's the fiscal overspending.

TheReaper says: If there is a wrong choice to be made here you can bet that Taliban Joe will make it. Of course, his choice will be bad but his timing will be impeccable, AFTER the elections.

We need to keep on feeding the greedy. (paraphrasing the argument)

Nobody should still listen to anyone involved in any way with the Fed. (and yes, that would include Yellen)

Former Federal Reserve Board nominee Judy Shelton warned Friday the Fed's strategy to combat inflation with rate hikes could crush supply and make the nation's economic situation worse. On "Mornings with Maria," Shelton also criticized Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen for endorsing the "wrong initiatives" like more government spending policies and regulations.

JUDY SHELTON: I think it could get very serious the longer it drags on, because if the Fed's efforts to crush inflation are instead just crushing supply, then you won't see much of an improvement on the inflation outlook, which the Fed will take as a sign that they need to be even tougher. And so they end up ratcheting higher and higher. And so I think we're looking potentially at the worst of all worlds - at an inflationary recession or stagflation. And that's what we would want to avoid. But I don't see how they're they're going to get out of this. If you have the Treasury Secretary, Janet Yellen, in her comments yesterday also included remarks praising the Inflation Reduction Act and she knows better. She was endorsing the green agenda. And she said the unfinished business of the Biden administration is to increase taxes on the wealthy and on corporations. These are exactly the wrong initiatives if you're trying to increase supply. What we really need is lower regulation, lower taxes, better energy, better trade policies, and we need to expand supply. Economic growth is not inflationary. Low unemployment is not inflationary. It's the fiscal overspending.

TheReaper says: If there is a wrong choice to be made here you can bet that Taliban Joe will make it. Of course, his choice will be bad but his timing will be impeccable, AFTER the elections.
This is a far more serious issue than the trivial stuff the lib media talks about

Killing Bidenflation won't be easy.

Dow now under 30k today.
Do I hear 25k soon??.....going once, going twice.....:muahaha:
I remember a similar time under Trump when, during covid, the DOW dropped 10K before screaming back to previous values in a very short period. Biden took over and the market has barely held its own during the last year and a half and now it is taking some serious hits. Lets go Brandon.

What we really need is to get people back to work. We can start by lowering government goodies. We've allowed the left to condition people in the country to not working. How they are making ends meet is difficult to say. I suspect a lot of adults are moving back in with mom and dad. Can this be reversed? I don't know.

What we really need is to get people back to work. We can start by lowering government goodies. We've allowed the left to condition people in the country to not working. How they are making ends meet is difficult to say. I suspect a lot of adults are moving back in with mom and dad. Can this be reversed? I don't know.
Government supported homeless camps in most major cities. I think they called them Hoovervilles in the 30s -- Is the new moniker Bidenvilles? Democrat Paradises?

That is the problem with inflation. The only way to fix it is have a recession.

This Potatohead clown has really screwed up this country.

Anybody that voted for him is an idiot.

Jobs will start regressing any day now. At least the good paying ones.
Retail corporations are already 2nd guessing how many they'll hire for XMAS as far as the temp. low paying ones go.

Jobs will start regressing any day now. At least the good paying ones.
Retail corporations are already 2nd guessing how many they'll hire for XMAS as far as the temp. low paying ones go.

Actually I'm hoping for a recession. I've been looking all summer for an asphalt contractor to repair a driveway of mine, and most don't return the calls. The few that did never came out, and the one guy that actually did come out I told him he was hired, and he never got back to me.

My cousin has his own remodeling business. He claims he never made so much money in his life. No matter what price he gives the potential customer, they hire him because they can't find anybody else willing to do the work. It's a sad day in America. Hopefully if a recession hits, these people will do anything to make money and we can have competition again.

Actually I'm hoping for a recession. I've been looking all summer for an asphalt contractor to repair a driveway of mine, and most don't return the calls. The few that did never came out, and the one guy that actually did come out I told him he was hired, and he never got back to me.

My cousin has his own remodeling business. He claims he never made so much money in his life. No matter what price he gives the potential customer, they hire him because they can't find anybody else willing to do the work. It's a sad day in America. Hopefully if a recession hits, these people will do anything to make money and we can have competition again.

Only if enuff supply materials are there.
Cause the demand still is!

Prices go up when demand exceeds supply. The democrats' policies are all anti-business when they should be trying everything they can to assist economic growth, thereby increasing the supply of stuff. That fucking Inflation Reduction Act does not help do that. But if the GOP takes back the House and/or the Senate, then that shit oughta stop come next January.

Forum List

Back