US arms companies under pressure from Mexico lawsuit

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Mexico City, Mexico – As a spate of gun violence, including the elementary school mass killing in Uvalde, Texas, continues to unfold in the United States, the Mexican government has not missed the opportunity to talk up the historic lawsuit it brought one year ago in the Massachusetts District Court against 10 US gun manufacturers and distributors.

The lawsuit, Mexico vs Smith & Wesson et al, seeks damages from the companies for negligence leading to Mexico’s shocking rate of gun homicides and other gun violence, which is largely attributable to guns sold in the US and trafficked over the border. The government estimates the damage to be approximately $10bn.

I don't usually post articles from Al-Jazeera. I am not a fan. I don't see how Mexico can sue Smith and Wesson. That would be a mistake.

Mexico City, Mexico – As a spate of gun violence, including the elementary school mass killing in Uvalde, Texas, continues to unfold in the United States, the Mexican government has not missed the opportunity to talk up the historic lawsuit it brought one year ago in the Massachusetts District Court against 10 US gun manufacturers and distributors.

The lawsuit, Mexico vs Smith & Wesson et al, seeks damages from the companies for negligence leading to Mexico’s shocking rate of gun homicides and other gun violence, which is largely attributable to guns sold in the US and trafficked over the border. The government estimates the damage to be approximately $10bn.

I don't usually post articles from Al-Jazeera. I am not a fan. I don't see how Mexico can sue Smith and Wesson. That would be a mistake.
There argument is that the US law shielding gun manufacturers doesn't apply in Mexico. Gonna be a close call.

There argument is that the US law shielding gun manufacturers doesn't apply in Mexico. Gonna be a close call.
I just don't see that happening. That is going to open the door to a whole lot of nonsense.

I just don't see that happening. That is going to open the door to a whole lot of nonsense.

Will probably go to the SCOTUS either way, but their argument is two fold: 1) US law doesn't apply to Mexico and 2) even if that is not the case, the act by the Congress that insulated gun manufacturers doesn't explicitly exclude foreign claims. There is a minefield of legal issues for the courts to have to sort through on this one that will have far reaching effect if mishandled.

New Topics

Forum List

Back