US And Korea Sign Free Trade Agreement Today

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Last edited:
Hmmm......... What is the living standard in South Korea today? Are their labor laws comparable to ours? Are there environmental laws comparable to ours? If the answer is positive to these questions, why not a free trade pack with them?

Colombia is one the most capitalistic and pro-American countries in the Latin America world. They should have had a free trade agreement already.

NAFTA has been a disaster. We took a trade surplus with Mexico and made it the 2nd largest trade deficit in history (2nd to ours with China). HOWEVER, CAFTA has been a great success. Exports have increased with all the CAFTA countries and we have a trade surplus with them. If the Colombia and Panama trade deals are crafted like CAFTA I am all for it.

South Korea is a different issue. They are a developing nation and a strong capitialitic nation. However, they regular use non-tarriff trade barriers against US products, esp our cars. If that is still in place it will be a disaster.

South Korea is a more 'developed' country and a much stronger economy than Colombia.

...NAFTA has been a disaster...
--for people that either hate America or don't check their facts.

NAFTA was signed into law by Clinton in Dec. 1993. Since then, average household income has increased by $24,441 (after adjusting for inflation), US factory output has increased by $875 Bil. (after adjusting for inflation), and the number of Americans working has increased by 21 million.

More people working getting more done making more money makes any talk about Mexico's trade deficit sound well, stupid.

--for people that either hate America or don't check their facts.

NAFTA was signed into law by Clinton in Dec. 1993. Since then, average household income has increased by $24,441 (after adjusting for inflation), US factory output has increased by $875 Bil. (after adjusting for inflation), and the number of Americans working has increased by 21 million.

More people working getting more done making more money makes any talk about Mexico's trade deficit sound well, stupid.

Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

...NAFTA was signed into law by Clinton in Dec. 1993. Since then, average household income has increased by $24,441 (after adjusting for inflation), US factory output has increased by $875 Bil. (after adjusting for inflation), and the number of Americans working has increased by 21 million...
True, and irrelevant.

There's no need to show show a correlation because there isn't one, and that's my point. GHookk93 said NAFTA caused a disaster. I showed that not only was there no disaster, but if anything we're a lot better off. That's the point, there is no correlation.

...NAFTA was signed into law by Clinton in Dec. 1993. Since then, average household income has increased by $24,441 (after adjusting for inflation), US factory output has increased by $875 Bil. (after adjusting for inflation), and the number of Americans working has increased by 21 million...
True, and irrelevant.

There's no need to show show a correlation because there isn't one, and that's my point. GHookk93 said NAFTA caused a disaster. I showed that not only was there no disaster, but if anything we're a lot better off. That's the point, there is no correlation.

It looks like you're portraying a correlation between increased economic prosperity and NAFTA.

...not only was there no disaster, but if anything we're a lot better off. That's the point, there is no correlation.
It looks like you're portraying a correlation between increased economic prosperity and NAFTA.
Talking about me and how I look is one of my favorite pastimes, but GHook's important too and we need to focus on what he's saying because he's in very good company; a lot of people say NAFTA was a disaster. During the '08 primaries Obama argued with Hillary about how he didn't like NAFTA either.

I can't imagine what possible proof you or anyone would be willing to accept about whether people are better off with higher taxes on imports or without them. All I can say is that when I pay higher taxes I end up with less money. I see a causal relationship between my paying higher taxes and my having less money afterward, but I realize that there are many here who don't see the causality so I don't bother with arguing the point.

The point that there was no disaster with NAFTA is an easier battle.

...not only was there no disaster, but if anything we're a lot better off. That's the point, there is no correlation.
Talking about me and how I look is one of my favorite pastimes, but GHook's important too and we need to focus on what he's saying because he's in very good company; a lot of people say NAFTA was a disaster. During the '08 primaries Obama argued with Hillary about how he didn't like NAFTA either.

I can't imagine what possible proof you or anyone would be willing to accept about whether people are better off with higher taxes on imports or without them. All I can say is that when I pay higher taxes I end up with less money. I see a causal relationship between my paying higher taxes and my having less money afterward, but I realize that there are many here who don't see the causality so I don't bother with arguing the point.

The point that there was no disaster with NAFTA is an easier battle.

I'm all for free trade. Just not "agreements". There doesn't need to be a pact. Just simply trade freely.

...I'm all for free trade. Just not "agreements". There doesn't need to be a pact. Just simply trade freely.
You mean just lower import taxes without getting permission from some foreign government first? Hmmmm.

If you're running for office you'll need to tell me where I send in my campaign donations...

Forum List

Back