Upvote Systems -- Thoughts

• Banned
An interesting article on how we use social media:

How Upvote Systems Have Damaged Online Communities

(1) -- Self-Worth Isnā€™t Defined by a Number
(2) -- How Social Karma Destroys Critical Thinking
(3) -- The Fatal Flaw of Reputation Systems

I gave you a thank you to see if it would damage this thread.
And, I gave you one back to see exactly what it would do also. Very curious.

I seem to be alright. How about you?

• Banned

I seem to be alright. How about you?
Yep, doing great so far. Thanks for asking. Glad to hear that you're doing Okay as well. Lets hope that this trend continues for both of us.

I'm giving everyone a thank you in this thread to see what damage occurs.

On a serious note, I have noticed on this message board that the left wingers tend to feed off themselves and so do the right wingers. Each group seems to pander to its own with either the thank you or the agree up votes such that there is hardly ever any give and take on a position. It is refreshing to be part of a discussion in which people modify their views based on learning new information. I don't know how much these up votes play into polarization of the members of the message board, but I do suspect there some effect.

Last edited:
Very good article Sonny although it just reinforces what I already believe about social media. And I agree with Joe about how right and left seem to reward the people that they agree with. I would hope that people learn new things and adjust their views but I think here I would flip the coin because there is never a conclusion to anything, just a new thread about the same thing.

My biggest problem with some posters here is the lack of rational thinking. For instance, some recent posts would give the administration reps for bringing the deficit down down in the last couple of years by greater percentages than other presidents. Well the problem is that the deficits were the highest ever so reducing them to levels that are still higher than any other president is not fixing a problem and seems to be ignoring that the national debt has doubled. Inotherwords, people seem to be portraying themselves as fiscally responsible when the problem is still getting worse. We are not addressing the reality but obfuscating what the problem is.

I think a lot of,posters, and I believe this gets back to the op, cannot be caught agreeing with someone on the other side or they might be ostracized from their community or even their identity. A good example of this is the Cuba thing. I agree wholeheartedly with opening up Cuba and would give Obama kudos for that, but the way he is going about it is so inept and amateurish that it overshadows the original intent.

In the end it seems to me like the best I can do is fortify my own positions, sort of like having your own castle that can withstand any siege. The only place I see a little give is in suggesting a new plan or solution. People seem to be more receptive to productive discussion if the cement is still wet. And I am totally convinced that we have a huge amount of smart people that sit back and observe but never engage. A good thread. Thanks.

• Banned
Very good article Sonny although it just reinforces what I already believe about social media. And I agree with Joe about how right and left seem to reward the people that they agree with. I would hope that people learn new things and adjust their views but I think here I would flip the coin because there is never a conclusion to anything, just a new thread about the same thing.

My biggest problem with some posters here is the lack of rational thinking. For instance, some recent posts would give the administration reps for bringing the deficit down down in the last couple of years by greater percentages than other presidents. Well the problem is that the deficits were the highest ever so reducing them to levels that are still higher than any other president is not fixing a problem and seems to be ignoring that the national debt has doubled. Inotherwords, people seem to be portraying themselves as fiscally responsible when the problem is still getting worse. We are not addressing the reality but obfuscating what the problem is.

I think a lot of,posters, and I believe this gets back to the op, cannot be caught agreeing with someone on the other side or they might be ostracized from their community or even their identity. A good example of this is the Cuba thing. I agree wholeheartedly with opening up Cuba and would give Obama kudos for that, but the way he is going about it is so inept and amateurish that it overshadows the original intent.

In the end it seems to me like the best I can do is fortify my own positions, sort of like having your own castle that can withstand any siege. The only place I see a little give is in suggesting a new plan or solution. People seem to be more receptive to productive discussion if the cement is still wet. And I am totally convinced that we have a huge amount of smart people that sit back and observe but never engage. A good thread. Thanks.
Thank you for a well worded contribution, it's much appreciated. I agree with you concerning how people react. As I've said many times already on this forum, we are a much divided people, so divided, that we're actually defeating ourselves. What people don't realize is the fact that division enables those hell-bent on our destruction to carry out their deeds unopposed. The worst enemy of professional politicians is a united citizenry. Likewise, it's the worst enemy of this nation. But, try to get that point across to most people and see just how far you get.

Yes, agreement seems to follow socioeconomic, as well as political, views and opinions, whether they be right or wrong. I realize and fully understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions and views, and each has the right to express the same. But, where I get confused and amazed, is after explaining the situations to the "nth" degree, covering all aspects, both pros and cons, most people still can't grasp reality and truisms. So, the root article is correct in that people seem to group, generally agree with, and approve of like minded individuals, regardless of subject or topic being discussed or debated. They usually follow those that agree with their view and opinions, and likewise have negative things to say to those on the opposite side, even mean and ugly things at times. I have found that usually, silly and childish comments are replacing legitimate arguments and valid points. People are using name calling and personal attacks in response to those they disagree with, and usually doing so without a counter argument.

Thanks again for your response.

Forum List

Back