Upstate New York towns consider seceding

williepete

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2011
Troposphere
...to Pennsylvania.

I can fully understand breaking away from the NYC controlled asylum.

CONKLIN, N.Y. (AP) -- Plenty of people leave New York state but in a job-hungry stretch of upstate, folks talk about staying put and seceding to Pennsylvania.

...Most secession movements in New York state are fueled by the cultural differences between the big city and less crowded upstate areas closer in spirit to New England or the Midwest: Consider that Buffalo is closer to Cleveland than Manhattan.

MORE:
News from The Associated Press

Sounds a lot like folks in Illinois who live outside of Chicago and/or Cook County - lots of them want Chicago to secede, or to kick Chicago out of Illinois, and let them set up as the State of Chicago (or the State of Cook, or whatever), thereby freeing the rest of the State of Illinois from the burden of all the dead weight living in the City.

Pros and cons to that.

And, in the case of Conklin, they'd be just as far from Harrisburg and Philly as they are from Albany and NYC.

Although Pennsylvania state government is probably a wee bit more sane than New York's, from what little I know of it.

Somebody else, living in either of those two States, can probably do a much better job of analyzing the relative merits of those two State governments.

While the political power in New York resides in the metropolitan area.....so does the tax base

• Banned
Although Pennsylvania state government is probably a wee bit more sane than New York's, from what little I know of it.

I always got a chuckle out of "The Ragin Cajun," James Carville's description of Pennsylvania politics:

"Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between."

While the political power in New York resides in the metropolitan area.....so does the tax base
The tax base resides on Long Island, I live here. Long Island funds NYC's dominion over the rest of the state.

What would be nice is if the Several Counties of Long Island convened to expel NYC (and it's respective counties) from New York.

Lon Guyland is inseparable from NYC. It is tied politically and financially

Sounds a lot like folks in Illinois who live outside of Chicago and/or Cook County - lots of them want Chicago to secede, or to kick Chicago out of Illinois, and let them set up as the State of Chicago (or the State of Cook, or whatever), thereby freeing the rest of the State of Illinois from the burden of all the dead weight living in the City.

Pros and cons to that.

And, in the case of Conklin, they'd be just as far from Harrisburg and Philly as they are from Albany and NYC.

Somebody else, living in either of those two States, can probably do a much better job of analyzing the relative merits of those two State governments.
When a farmer in Pike County, Illinois, cannot buy .22 rat shot without a Sheriff's issued photo ID because the savages in Chicago won't quit shooting each other, it is time for radical change.

The tax base resides on Long Island, I live here. Long Island funds NYC's dominion over the rest of the state.

What would be nice is if the Several Counties of Long Island convened to expel NYC (and it's respective counties) from New York.

Queens and Kings counties although geographically located on Long Island, are really part of NYC.

That leaves Nassau and Suffolk counties. Two is hardly several.

"Upstate New York towns consider seceding"

Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution renders this ignorant idiocy.

You didn't read the article and don't know what the subject is about but you had to throw some poo out of your cage.

We get it. Again.

From the article you didn't read:

"Secession would be a complex procedure involving two states and the federal government. New York officials would have to sign off on a deal costing them land, people and political clout in Washington. Also, it would require New York's governor and political leaders to acknowledge that their counterparts in Pennsylvania could do a better job representing their own people."

In other words, it ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

New York City pays 48% of the state's taxes. You don't.

http://www.rockinst.org/pdf/nys_government/2011-12-Giving_and_Getting.pdf

What the upstate counties in NY don't understand is that they live off the collective wealth of the NY metropolitan area

Absent, of that tax base, they would have to start coughing up for the state services they formerly got at reduced rates

New Topics

Forum List

Back