Ups driver dies of heat stroke

They pay these poor folks next to zero and many don’t even have AC or heat

F ups
They make about $50,000/yr

They make about $50,000/yr

That's relevant to being paid minimum wage, if minimum wage was still adjusted for inflation every year as it should be, but isn't.

That's relevant to being paid minimum wage, if minimum wage was still adjusted for inflation every year as it should be, but isn't.
Dangerous, skilled, demanding delivery driving is in no way a minimum wage job. They should be making $100k.

Corporate should be sued for forcing hard working drivers into dark brown outfits inside dark brown metal un-insulated, un-air conditioned delivery trucks baked in the sun all day long.

Corp forces this killer torture on good hard workers because they don't want to change their logo color. Corp should be sued for millions.

Dangerous, skilled, demanding delivery driving is in no way a minimum wage job. They should be making $100k.

Corporate should be sued for forcing hard working drivers into dark brown outfits inside dark brown metal un-insulated, un-air conditioned delivery trucks baked in the sun all day long.

Corp forces this killer torture on good hard workers because they don't want to change their logo color. Corp should be sued for millions.
$100K? College graduates who spent four years learning a marketable skill don’t even earn that much. So a married couple should earn $200k for a job a new high school graduate could do?

I do agree the trucks should be air-conditioned, though.

F ups

UPS is a unionized outfit, unlike Fedex which is strictly Scab and doesn't have their drivers keeling over dead in the heat.

F ups

I'm generally happy to slam an evil corporation as the next guy, BUT.

1. Had family in the place. My understanding is the pay starts well and scales nicely.

2. Air conditioning is not an option. The trucks stop ever few feet to deliver packages.

3. The ones I see don't even have doors. (slide back?)

4. Dying of heat stroke at 24 in the 90s? That seems surprising. An autopsy seems called for. I suspect underlying unknow health issues.

5. BUT, yes, they probably could slow down some. We use them a lot and are often shocked at how fast they are. That is not required for their business model.

$100K? College graduates who spent four years learning a marketable skill don’t even earn that much. So a married couple should earn $200k for a job a new high school graduate could do?

I do agree the trucks should be air-conditioned, though.

What some companies did was cut out the fringe benefits like AC to give their employees excellent pay and benefits. That $50k a year was their salary back in the early 80's. I remember there was a UPS strike at the time when I read about it. Today, the average salary is $83,000 in our state, and I'm sure commie states, much higher. As you pointed out, no education, no real skills, not a trade.

As a retired tractor-trailer operator I can tell you there are a lot of truck drivers not making that much. As you pointed out, college graduates the same. Driving a T/T is much more responsibility, much more risk, you need training and experience, and you have to obtain a special license after passing a written and road test.

My employer was cheap. When I first started back in the early 90's, he only had one truck with AC, and his brother drove that. When my AC broke down, it took him weeks to months to get it repaired. I used to take a spray bottle with me, spray myself down every couple of minutes, and that was the only way to tolerate the heat. When I got to a stop, I got the coldest water I could find to fill it back up.

What some companies did was cut out the fringe benefits like AC to give their employees excellent pay and benefits. That $50k a year was their salary back in the early 80's. I remember there was a UPS strike at the time when I read about it. Today, the average salary is $83,000 in our state, and I'm sure commie states, much higher. As you pointed out, no education, no real skills, not a trade.

As a retired tractor-trailer operator I can tell you there are a lot of truck drivers not making that much. As you pointed out, college graduates the same. Driving a T/T is much more responsibility, much more risk, you need training and experience, and you have to obtain a special license after passing a written and road test.

My employer was cheap. When I first started back in the early 90's, he only had one truck with AC, and his brother drove that. When my AC broke down, it took him weeks to months to get it repaired. I used to take a spray bottle with me, spray myself down every couple of minutes, and that was the only way to tolerate the heat. When I got to a stop, I got the coldest water I could find to fill it back up.

They are paid well: $50,000 in the 90s is equivalent to around $90,000 today. And an average salary of $83,000 in your state, and as you point out more in Commie states, that is a tremendous salary for a job a high school graduate with no skills could learn in a day. Plenty of college graduates come out of school with a career-oriented degree and start at much less.

They are paid well: $50,000 in the 90s is equivalent to around $90,000 today. And an average salary of $83,000 in your state, and as you point out more in Commie states, that is a tremendous salary for a job a high school graduate with no skills could learn in a day. Plenty of college graduates come out of school with a career-oriented degree and start at much less.

When I first started driving very few commercial vehicles had AC. It's not the end of the world. Once a UPS driver gets to his route, he's seldom in that truck. He's running in and out of that thing like a mouse with a mouse hole. AC would only do him good getting to his route and back to the shop.

In a truck you have that big engine in front of you, and it was much worse if you had a cab over. A cab over is where the front end is completely flat because the engine is underneath you instead of in front. You just roast like a meatloaf.

In spite of the pay, UPS still can't find enough drivers believe it or not. That's why I get pissed off at these leftists telling me the middle-class is disappearing and there are no good paying jobs anymore.

Shit.
I work outdoors building houses, from scalding heat and humidity in summer to bitter cold wind chills in the winter.

AC or heat? That would be an impractical luxury.

I hear ya. I used to work with my father as a kid doing side jobs when he got home from his full-time job. Rule #1 is never stop a bricklayer. You have to keep going no matter how hot or humid it is.

Forum List

Back