Unpopular Opinion: Conservative Businesses Should Fire Woke Employees

Man of Ethics

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
This opinion is unpopular with both Liberals and Conservatives. Most Liberals believe that they do not hold any views for which they deserve to be punished. The vast majority of Conservatives believe that no one should lose their job for their political beliefs. I am neither Liberal nor Conservative.

In a perfectly just Society, very few people would lose their job for their political beliefs. Only the most extreme views would merit such penalty. Even though USA in the past was far from being perfect, firing people for their political opinions was relatively rare. To the best of my knowledge it was rare even in the first years of this Century.

Unfortunately, in recent years tens of thousands of people have been fired and/or blacklisted for even mildly offending Progressives. In my opinion, Conservative business owners should respond in kind. There are thousands of counties and small towns in which Conservatives are over 70% majority, and hundreds of counties in which they are 80% majority. Amazingly, in a few counties over 90% of people are Conservative. If Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture who live in these towns or counties lose their jobs, they would have a hard time finding other jobs in the same community. That would force them either to reconsider their views and make amends or to relocate to more Liberal urban areas.

Almost all Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture believe that private businesses have a right to fire any employee for their political opinions. They accuse opponents of Cancel Culture of opposing the First Amendment. Thus they would not object to being fired themselves.

Firing Cancel Culture proponents may have other benefits as well. They are likely to try to dictate to their employees how to run their business. For instance, some Amazon employees have been making a scene when Amazon carried books they do not like. The same is true for many bookstores and music stores. Some publishers have been pressured by their employees not to publish books they find offensive.

Cancel Culture proponents are likely to be walking lawsuits. Their Conservative and Independent coworkers have to walk on eggshells in their presence. This hardly benefits the working environment. A working team where all members share most ideas may be more friendly and more productive.

Another benefit of firing Cancel Culture proponents may be in liberation of work places for Conservatives and Independents who have been fired for their beliefs. Conservative business owners should be helping those hurt by Cancel Culture rather then those who support it. Hiring someone fired for his/her opinions may have additional benefits for a business. A cancelled employee is likely to understand that it would be difficult for them to find work elsewhere. Thus they are likely to work diligently rather then to risk losing their job.

Whether it’s popular or not is irrelevant.

The fact is that such a notion is wrong, reprehensible, and illegal.
No it's not. I mean... Gina Carano...

Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.

You are absolutely welcome to show these posts. Not hard to find.

While I understand the premise of your essay I'm not inclined to fire based on political ideology unless an employee allows their ideology to impact their job performance. I have found in the last couple of years that progressives are far more likely to allow their emotions to impact their jobs. As to the legality of firing people because of their political beliefs, political ideology is not a protected class and in my right to work state could be fired, however, it would not be considered cause and the employer would end up paying unemployment.

Firing an employee for a political opinions doesn't effect just the employee, but also risks reactions by the company's customers. Now such action may not harm a gun manufacturer, but say for example the company makes pillows.....

While I understand the premise of your essay I'm not inclined to fire based on political ideology unless an employee allows their ideology to impact their job performance. I have found in the last couple of years that progressives are far more likely to allow their emotions to impact their jobs. As to the legality of firing people because of their political beliefs, political ideology is not a protected class and in my right to work state could be fired, however, it would not be considered cause and the employer would end up paying unemployment.

Definitely, in each situation unique circumstances must be taken into account.

So Joe should have every supervisor in all of the Fedeal Departments ask every employee about their politics and fire any who are not liberal?

Yeah, that's probably a dumb an idea as I've ever heard except for the one listed in the OP.

Firing an employee for a political opinions doesn't effect just the employee, but also risks reactions by the company's customers. Now such action may not harm a gun manufacturer, but say for example the company makes pillows.....

Definitely, as I have said, it is likely that only employers in mostly Conservative counties would be able to fire Progressives. Such a step would likely give them more business and popular support.

So Joe should have every supervisor in all of the Fedeal Departments ask every employee about their politics and fire any who are not liberal?

No -- for a Federal employer that would be illegal. For a private small business, political affiliation is not a protected class.

No -- for a Federal employer that would be illegal. For a private small business, political affiliation is not a protected class.

Sorry...as we found out with Comey, the President can fire anyone in the executive branch.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
This opinion is unpopular with both Liberals and Conservatives. Most Liberals believe that they do not hold any views for which they deserve to be punished. The vast majority of Conservatives believe that no one should lose their job for their political beliefs. I am neither Liberal nor Conservative.

In a perfectly just Society, very few people would lose their job for their political beliefs. Only the most extreme views would merit such penalty. Even though USA in the past was far from being perfect, firing people for their political opinions was relatively rare. To the best of my knowledge it was rare even in the first years of this Century.

Unfortunately, in recent years tens of thousands of people have been fired and/or blacklisted for even mildly offending Progressives. In my opinion, Conservative business owners should respond in kind. There are thousands of counties and small towns in which Conservatives are over 70% majority, and hundreds of counties in which they are 80% majority. Amazingly, in a few counties over 90% of people are Conservative. If Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture who live in these towns or counties lose their jobs, they would have a hard time finding other jobs in the same community. That would force them either to reconsider their views and make amends or to relocate to more Liberal urban areas.

Almost all Liberal supporters of Cancel Culture believe that private businesses have a right to fire any employee for their political opinions. They accuse opponents of Cancel Culture of opposing the First Amendment. Thus they would not object to being fired themselves.

Firing Cancel Culture proponents may have other benefits as well. They are likely to try to dictate to their employees how to run their business. For instance, some Amazon employees have been making a scene when Amazon carried books they do not like. The same is true for many bookstores and music stores. Some publishers have been pressured by their employees not to publish books they find offensive.

Cancel Culture proponents are likely to be walking lawsuits. Their Conservative and Independent coworkers have to walk on eggshells in their presence. This hardly benefits the working environment. A working team where all members share most ideas may be more friendly and more productive.

Another benefit of firing Cancel Culture proponents may be in liberation of work places for Conservatives and Independents who have been fired for their beliefs. Conservative business owners should be helping those hurt by Cancel Culture rather then those who support it. Hiring someone fired for his/her opinions may have additional benefits for a business. A cancelled employee is likely to understand that it would be difficult for them to find work elsewhere. Thus they are likely to work diligently rather then to risk losing their job.

I never understood people who air their religion or politics or personal life at work. How stupid can you get?

Forum List

Back