Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
United States Innovation and Competition Act:

I'm among the proponents of the improved Import certificate policy described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.
Regarding the Senates' bipartisan passed Chips act, I won't speculate if Import Certificate policy were currently in effect, congress would still be of the opinion that subsidies for USA's computer chip industry are needed. In that case, subsidizing USA's computer chip industry would require substantially much less congressional appropriations to accomplish congress's goal.

Import Certificate policy is indirectly funded at additional cost to USA purchasers of imported goods. It's not applicable to the values of specifically listed mineral materials integral to the production of globally traded goods. It does not favor or disfavor any particular enterprises, or industries, or foreign nations, and is much more market rather than government driven. For any given amount of a trade deficit nation's aggregate spending, annual trade deficits always reduced their annual GDPs.

Refer to Import certificates - Wikipedia
Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
I'm among the proponents of the improved Import certificate policy described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.
Regarding the Senates' bipartisan passed Chips act, I won't speculate if Import Certificate policy were currently in effect, congress would still be of the opinion that subsidies for USA's computer chip industry are needed. In that case, subsidizing USA's computer chip industry would require substantially much less congressional appropriations to accomplish congress's goal.

Import Certificate policy is indirectly funded at additional cost to USA purchasers of imported goods. It's not applicable to the values of specifically listed mineral materials integral to the production of globally traded goods. It does not favor or disfavor any particular enterprises, or industries, or foreign nations, and is much market rather than government driven. For any given amount of a trade deficit nation's aggregate spending, annual trade deficits always reduced their annual GDPs.

Respectfully, Supposn
United States Innovation and Competition Act

I'm giving 20:1 odds right here and now, that the bill -if implemented- will do the exact opposite.

Anybody want that action?

Bueller?

Last edited:
United States Innovation and Competition Act

I'm giving 20:1 odds right here and now, that the bill -if implemented- will do the exact opposite.

Anybody want that action?

Bueller?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the "leveling of the playing field" that Trump wanted to accomplish with his tariffs? What is all of this new found support after fighting it for so long.

United States Innovation and Competition Act:

Import Certificate policy is indirectly funded at additional cost to USA purchasers of imported goods. It's not applicable to the values of specifically listed mineral materials integral to the production of globally traded goods. It does not favor or disfavor any particular enterprises, or industries, or foreign nations, and is much more market rather than government driven. For any given amount of a trade deficit nation's aggregate spending, annual trade deficits always reduced their annual GDPs.

Respectfully, Supposn
The gubmint is really good at writing laws that intend to do something good and then end up f*kking things up worse than they were.

Whining Toddsterpatriot, you can't figure it out, so I'll walk you through your $100 purchase of beer directly from the exporting foreign nation.

(1) GDP = [C + I + G] + [NX] ; Note, NX = (net balance of the nation's international trade)

Because you purchased directly, rather than from the importer distributor, you're now $100 poorer because of spending, but the nations aggregate consumption will increase.
GDP = [(C + I + G + 100)] + [NX - 100)]

GDP has not net changed, but USA imported the value of the foreign beer producers' labors and profits.
,USA did not produce that $100 of beer. Those wages, profits, and tax revenues on incomes were all earned in foreign nations.

(2) The alternative if you had purchased domestic beer would consequentially have been: (GDP +100) = [C + I + G +100] + [NX]

For any extent of a nation's aggregate [C + I + G] net expenditures, trade surplus nations increased, and trade deficit nations decreased their GDPs more than otherwise.
A trade surplus nation's GDP exceeded their aggregate [C + I + G] net spending.
A trade deficit nation's GDP aggregate [C + I + G] net spending exceeded their entire GDP.
Respectfully, Supposn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the "leveling of the playing field" that Trump wanted to accomplish with his tariffs? What is all of this new found support after fighting it for so long.

Oddball, Donald Trump believes everything's a negotiated “deal” and he's the great negotiator.
Donald Trump may agree as I do with Warren Buffett and many others on this point; annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and thus to their economy.
But I agree with Buffett and others contending government should refrain from choosing winners and losers, which is what tariffs do.
... I'm among the proponents of the improved Import certificate policy described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. ...
It does not favor or disfavor any particular enterprises, or industries, or foreign nations, and is much more market rather than government driven. For any given amount of a trade deficit nation's aggregate spending, annual trade deficits always reduced their annual GDPs.

Respectfully, Supposn

Whining Toddsterpatriot, you can't figure it out, so I'll walk you through your $100 purchase of beer directly from the exporting foreign nation.

(1) GDP = [C + I + G] + [NX] ; Note, NX = (net balance of the nation's international trade)

Because you purchased directly, rather than from the importer distributor, you're now $100 poorer because of spending, but the nations aggregate consumption will increase.
GDP = [(C + I + G + 100)] + [NX - 100)]

GDP has not net changed, but USA imported the value of the foreign beer producers' labors and profits.
,USA did not produce that $100 of beer. Those wages, profits, and tax revenues on incomes were all earned in foreign nations.

(2) The alternative if you had purchased domestic beer would consequentially have been: (GDP +100) = [C + I + G +100] + [NX]

For any extent of a nation's aggregate [C + I + G] net expenditures, trade surplus nations increased, and trade deficit nations decreased their GDPs more than otherwise.
A trade surplus nation's GDP exceeded their aggregate [C + I + G] net spending.
A trade deficit nation's GDP aggregate [C + I + G] net spending exceeded their entire GDP.
Respectfully, Supposn

Because you purchased directly, rather than from the importer distributor, you're now $100 poorer because of spending,

You think I'm poorer? I freely traded my $100 for something I valued more than $100.
I benefit from my purchase. I'm richer, not poorer after that trade.

GDP has not net changed

I bought imported beer and didn't harm the GDP of the US?
I'm so glad that you were able to learn from my example. Thank you for that.
Watching you run away time and time again always made me sad.

So what have you been whining about for all these years?

... You think I'm poorer? I freely traded my $100 for something I valued more than $100.
I benefit from my purchase. I'm richer, not poorer after that trade. ...
... I bought imported beer and didn't harm the GDP of the US? ,,, I'm so glad that you were able to learn from my example. Thank you for that. Watching you run away time and time again always made me sad. So what have you been whining about for all these years?

Whining Toddsterpatriot, each of our individual expenditures to some extents reduce our remaining available cash and/or credit.

Due to your purchase of imported rather than USA produced beer, GDP has not net changed, but USA imported the value of the foreign beer producers' labors and profits.
USA did not produce that $100 of beer. Those wages, profits, and tax revenues on incomes were all earned in foreign nations.

Whining Toddsterpatriot, all of this is apparently beyond your comprehensive capabilities. This post's for other readers of this discussion thread.
Respectfully, Supposn

Whining Toddsterpatriot, each of our individual expenditures to some extents reduce our remaining available cash and/or credit.

Due to your purchase of imported rather than USA produced beer, GDP has not net changed, but USA imported the value of the foreign beer producers' labors and profits.
USA did not produce that $100 of beer. Those wages, profits, and tax revenues on incomes were all earned in foreign nations.

Whining Toddsterpatriot, all of this is apparently beyond your comprehensive capabilities. This post's for other readers of this discussion thread.
Respectfully, Supposn

Stupid Supposn, so what?

You had me at GDP has not net changed.

Whining Toddsterpatriot, ... Stupid Supposn, so what?
You had me at GDP has not net changed.

Whining ignorant Toddsterpatriot, you ask “so what”? You can't comprehend it but my post's directed to logical readers.

For a trade deficit nation, GDP = [C + I + G] – [trade-deficit] .
Due to increasing the trade deficit rather than only increasing [{increasing [C + I + G], there's increased drag upon the nation's numbers of jobs, wages, and enterprises more sensitive to the financial conditions of wage earners and their dependents.
Although increasing the trade deficit does not directly reduce [C +I + G], it does drag upon it in a manner similar to a ship's anchor dragging along the water's bottom. That's why trade deficit nations GDPs are less than otherwise; otherwise being if the nation had not experienced annual trade deficits.
Respectfully, Supposn

Whining ignorant Toddsterpatriot, you ask “so what”? You can't comprehend it but my post's directed to logical readers.

For a trade deficit nation, GDP = [C + I + G] – [trade-deficit] .
Due to increasing the trade deficit rather than only increasing [{increasing [C + I + G], there's increased drag upon the nation's numbers of jobs, wages, and enterprises more sensitive to the financial conditions of wage earners and their dependents.
Although increasing the trade deficit does not directly reduce [C +I + G], it does drag upon it in a manner similar to a ship's anchor dragging along the water's bottom. That's why trade deficit nations GDPs are less than otherwise; otherwise being if the nation had not experienced annual trade deficits.
Respectfully, Supposn

GDP has not net changed.

You convinced me!

New Topics

Forum List

Back