Union Boss salaries- They have a lot in common with the people they represent

Name one union head who increased productivity or reduced costs for the industry he was in.

Why is that their job?

Incidently, my brother is a Sheet Metal worker who recently did a distribution center for Wal Mart. They completed their part on time and ahead of budget because they knew what they were doing.

Again, you jokers have this completely in reverse. We do not exist to serve them.

Well yeah, kinda. BEcause if they aren't doing that, they aren't insuring that the company employing their members can continue to pay out wages and benefits.
And if they aren't doing that, what are they doing to justify their enormous salaries and expenses?

Well...so much for "it's only the public sector unions we have a problem with" meme..

Private sector unions represent under 20% of the workers in those industries.
Public sector unions represent something like 70%.
So it isn't only public sector unions that are the problem, although they represent the bulk of problems. But the principle is similar for private sector unions as well.

Nice try at a straw man though.

I will pretend I am a union member.

So lets see, I have to make a choice this election. Vote for a man that does not want to take away my right to unionize and make a living wage. Or vote for a guy that promises to break the union and have me working for 8 bucks an hour.

Gee, this will be tough.

And to those that hate the unions. Go on down to your local Teamsters or Iron Workers union hall and express your hate and disdain for those members. Let them know how you really feel and they will do the same for you.

You rethugs are fuking cowards if you ain't trashing a union man in person.

Try it and let us know the results. When you get out of hospital.

If your job skills are worth only 8 buck an hour you have bigger problems than unions.
And based on your posts I'd say 8/hr is optimistic.

:eusa_whistle:

yes the 1%

Michael J. Sullivan, general president of the Sheet Metal Workers’ International Association
Salary: $1,043,023

Robert A. Scardelletti, international president of the Transportation Communications Union
Salary: $748,531

Newton B. Jones, president of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers
Salary: $607,022

Terence M. O’Sullivan, general president of the Laborers’ International Union of North America
Salary: $589,124

John T. Niccollai, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, Local 464A
Salary: $532,752

Gerald McEntee, international president of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
Salary: $512,369

Compared to CEO salaries, you mean?

The Pay at the Top - The New York Times

Viacom Philippe P. Dauman $84,000,000

Occidental Petroleum Ray R. Irani $76,000,000

Oracle Lawrence J. Ellison $70.1 million.

No comparison

CEO's earn a portion of his salary for building a company that returns wealth to its employees and shareholders, in the millions

What does the high salary of union bosses do
except show their hypocrisy

As a stockholder I can say that I have little sympathy for the ridiculous pay CEO's receive. That is money that could be put back in the company or distributed in dividends.

Union bosses making half a million a year is also too high.

Both union bosses and CEOs provide value to the workers they represent and the companies they lead, but at some point the pay becomes piracy.

Neither stockholders or union workers have a good mechanism for reigning in compensation. Some CEO's receive high pay for mediocre performing companies and some union bosses rake in large dues without providing value to their workers.

Yup. Takes real smarts to run the unions.

Wonder if the dues paying members have any idea what the heads of those unions are pulling in every year??

I'm sure they do. And I'm sure they look at the fact they are the only workers in this country still making good money and say, "Job well done!"

Hourly wages is one item that no one can bitch about when it comes to unionized employees.
Unions pushed wages up for all of America many years ago.
The problem with unions is not so much the wages, but the golden benefit packages and unrealistic cushy working conditions. Such as way more employees than are needed, unrealistic maximum production output speed etc.

No one can deny that unions did a lot of good for the American worker in the past. The question is what are they doing for us now? Same goes for politicians and CEOs. All three are screwing us over royally.

Some people, like JB, even help them do it and kiss their asses for doing so.

Immie

I'm sure they do. And I'm sure they look at the fact they are the only workers in this country still making good money and say, "Job well done!"

Hourly wages is one item that no one can bitch about when it comes to unionized employees.
The problem with unions is not so much the wages, but the golden benefit packages and unrealistic cushy working conditions. Such as way more employees than are needed, unrealistic maximum production output speed etc.

No one can deny that unions did a lot of good for the American worker in the past. The question is what are they doing for us now? Same goes for politicians and CEOs. All three are screwing us over royally.

Immie

Good point. Don't forget the CEO ass kissers like Neotrotsky.

Immie

I've got to say, that I can't pinpoint anything in my field of reference that would back up what you say about Neotrotsky. His posts are short and generally related only to anti-union points. At least the ones that I have read.

I'd say that if people read my posts they are more likely to associate me with being a CEO asskisser than Neo. I find myself defending the ideal of capitalism although I would not want to live in a society that was the live or die (sink or swim) philosophy of unimpeded Capitalism. Talk about a frigging disaster!

I'll take your word on Neo, but can you help me along with some examples that would explain to me why you think that of him?

Immie

:eusa_whistle:

yes the 1%

Michael J. Sullivan, general president of the Sheet Metal Workers’ International Association
Salary: $1,043,023

Robert A. Scardelletti, international president of the Transportation Communications Union
Salary: $748,531

Newton B. Jones, president of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers
Salary: $607,022

Terence M. O’Sullivan, general president of the Laborers’ International Union of North America
Salary: $589,124

John T. Niccollai, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, Local 464A
Salary: $532,752

Gerald McEntee, international president of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees
Salary: $512,369

Sooooo, you're against the rich then? Once you avoid this question you can use this excuse.

"Nooooooo, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy."

It works best when you dont have an opinion of your own

Are you comparing the work that a union boss does to what a CEO of a private corporation does?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Union bosses do not work.
They extort.

Name one CEO that extorts cash from their employees with the threat of a baseball bat to the head.

Admit it Joe. Unions are for those too weak to negotiate their own wage. Management have to earn their keep. Union workers just have to pay dues under threats and intimidation.

Unions are to create a middle class, because the plutocrats would steal the gold from our teeth if they thought they can get away with it.

They meet thuggery with thuggery. WHich, hey, is no ones fault.

Hey, I'm still waiting for you to defend that mine where they threw out the unions, then the safety standards fell and 16 miners died.

:cuckoo::lol::rofl::lol::cuckoo:

Unions only comprise of less than 7% of the private sector workforce, so in reality they have very little effect of the cost of doing business in today's world.
I do agree that the union bosses aren't doing there job and are highly responsible for the anti-union attitude that is felt by the right.
But in the Big Picture, when comparing how much CEO pay increased, the increase of S&P and the increased wages of non-supervisory wages, it presents an interesting story.
From 1978 to 2011, CEO pay increased 726.7%, the S&P rose 349.1% and wages increased 5%. (Crazy data point of the day: How much CEO pay vs. worker pay has grown - Post Leadership - The Washington Post).

"Unions are to create a middle class" And someone questions that statement?

Neotrotsky engages in class warfare. Then he'll tell you that only the left does what he just did.

Then he'll blame the reason he did it on the left too.

Big Union is Big Business. After you pay off the Union Bosses and Big Brother, what's left for you? I don't understand why so many want to give more of their hard-earned money away to corrupt strangers. So many Americans are just lost.

Big Union is Big Business. After you pay off the Union Bosses and Big Brother, what's left for you? I don't understand why so many want to give more of their hard-earned money away to corrupt strangers. So many Americans are just lost.

Ever had a union rep? Do you know what they do?

I will pretend I am a union member.

So lets see, I have to make a choice this election. Vote for a man that does not want to take away my right to unionize and make a living wage. Or vote for a guy that promises to break the union and have me working for 8 bucks an hour.

Gee, this will be tough.

And to those that hate the unions. Go on down to your local Teamsters or Iron Workers union hall and express your hate and disdain for those members. Let them know how you really feel and they will do the same for you.

You rethugs are fuking cowards if you ain't trashing a union man in person.

Try it and let us know the results. When you get out of hospital.
Way to go with you neanderthal threat of violence.

You fuckin' internet PUNK!

Ever had a union rep? Do you know what they do?

Union Bosses live very well. Big Union is Big Business. Don't kid yourself on that. Personally, I prefer not giving a big chunk of my paycheck away to corrupt Union Bosses and Big Brother. But that's just me. Americans should have the choice on deciding to join Unions or not. They should never be forced to. If they're so wonderful, they shouldn't have to be forced on people. You want to give more of your paycheck to corrupt strangers, go for it. But count me out.

What we have here is quite a few posters rolling over CEO's while attacking the unions, yet CEO pay has increased double that of the S&P for over three decades.
People bitch that union wages increase the price of goods, yet close their eyes to the effect of CEO pay and it's effect on pricing. And based on the increase of CEO pay versus the S&P, CEO's aren't doing their jobs. CEO pay increases should at the most should mirror the growth of the S&P.
And then there's the flat waged of the workers. Over two-thirds of the US economy is driven by consumer spending, how can the economy grow when the consumer has less and less expendable income?
But noo, let's just roll over and accept our diminish ability to contribute to the economy.

What we have here is quite a few posters rolling over CEO's while attacking the unions, yet CEO pay has increased double that of the S&P for over three decades.
People bitch that union wages increase the price of goods, yet close their eyes to the effect of CEO pay and it's effect on pricing. And based on the increase of CEO pay versus the S&P, CEO's aren't doing their jobs. CEO pay increases should at the most should mirror the growth of the S&P.
And then there's the flat waged of the workers. Over two-thirds of the US economy is driven by consumer spending, how can the economy grow when the consumer has less and less expendable income?
But noo, let's just roll over and accept our diminish ability to contribute to the economy.

Personally, i think all Government Unions should be abolished. They've raped the American Taxpayer for far too long. However, Private Unions are a different matter. If you want to give more of your paycheck away to greedy & corrupt strangers, then by all means go for it. That's your choice. Don't demand others do it too. No American Citizen should be forced to join a Union. After you pay off your Union Boss and Big Brother, what's left for you and your family? So i'll have to pass. But you do what you want.

Personally, i think all Government Unions should be abolished. They've raped the American Taxpayer for far too long. However, Private Unions are a different matter. If you want to give more of your paycheck away to greedy & corrupt strangers, then by all means go for it. That's your choice. Don't demand others do it too. No American Citizen should be forced to join a Union. After you pay off your Union Boss and Big Brother, what's left for you and your family? So I'll have to pass. But you do what you want.

Considering I'm not union, nor is my wife or any family member, your question really doesn't apply.
But what I want is a strong middle class. When our middle class has been strong, our economy was strong. But with over three decades of flat wage growth, the middle class has weakened. That's not good for the US economy. I'm not a union guy but I am pro-Main Street America!
People like to cry about class warfare on the wealthy, but as the chart I posted previously on this thread shows, there has been class warfare,,on Main Street America.

Personally, i think all Government Unions should be abolished. They've raped the American Taxpayer for far too long. However, Private Unions are a different matter. If you want to give more of your paycheck away to greedy & corrupt strangers, then by all means go for it. That's your choice. Don't demand others do it too. No American Citizen should be forced to join a Union. After you pay off your Union Boss and Big Brother, what's left for you and your family? So I'll have to pass. But you do what you want.

Considering I'm not union, nor is my wife or any family member, your question really doesn't apply.
But what I want is a strong middle class. When our middle class has been strong, our economy was strong. But with over three decades of flat wage growth, the middle class has weakened. That's not good for the US economy. I'm not a union guy but I am pro-Main Street America!
People like to cry about class warfare on the wealthy, but as the chart I posted previously on this thread shows, there has been class warfare,,on Main Street America.

I hear ya. We're probably not disagreeing on much. I just don't approve of Union tactics which force Citizens to join Unions. It has to be about the freedom to choose. I'm perfectly fine with people who choose to hand more of their paycheck over to Union Bosses. That's their call. Personally, i think they're making a mistake though. I want to keep as much of my paycheck as possible. My Family comes first. Most can't spare enough to give a chunk of their paychecks to Union Bosses & Big Brother. But that's just how i feel anyway.

Immie

I've got to say, that I can't pinpoint anything in my field of reference that would back up what you say about Neotrotsky. His posts are short and generally related only to anti-union points. At least the ones that I have read.

I'd say that if people read my posts they are more likely to associate me with being a CEO asskisser than Neo. I find myself defending the ideal of capitalism although I would not want to live in a society that was the live or die (sink or swim) philosophy of unimpeded Capitalism. Talk about a frigging disaster!

I'll take your word on Neo, but can you help me along with some examples that would explain to me why you think that of him?

Immie

You may be right on that, he may be just a union basher, although his comment about CEO's adding millions to their companies seems a bit like sucking up. Perhaps I just don't like the guy.

Well we can certainly agree that some of the actions of unions, CEO's and politicians are screwing us over. I work for a public entity in management, so while not in a union, I deal with union represented employees. I see the good in the protection they afford and the bad in the protection they afford.

Neotrotsky engages in class warfare. Then he'll tell you that only the left does what he just did.

Then he'll blame the reason he did it on the left too.

I think that was addressed to me.

I think you are a very intelligent poster. However, you come across as believing the lie that "right = evil; left = saintly", but one thing I must say for you is that you are rarely, if ever, down right rude. There are good people on both sides of the spectrum.

Several people have pointed out to me their view of Neo in the past couple of hours. I guess I just don't read his interactions with people on the other side enough to have noticed. I can't say that about you. Your posts are, in fact, well worth reading and always make good sense even if I don't agree with you.

I just wish you'd consistantly use the quote feature. I hate having to hunt back in the thread to see who you are addressing all the time. Don't tell anyone but I even recall you putting me in my place a few times.

Immie

PS I hope you take that as the compliment it is intended to be and fight any preconceived notion that I am evil simply because I see myself leaning right.

New Topics

Forum List

Back