Under what conditions would you inform police/security/etc?

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
Going to give several scenarios, starting with menial bullshit, to non violent felonies, to acts of violence.

Scenario One:
You see someone shoplifting extra food.

I would not say anything.

Scenario Two A:
You see witness someone stealing a car while traveling.

Scenario Two B:
You witness someone stealing your neighbors car (or another car around where you immediately live).

I would say something

Scenario Three:
You see someone regularly selling drugs at an otherwise discrete location.

Scenario Four:
You see someone sellings drugs to kids near a school.

I would say something.

Scenario Five:
An abused wife murders her abusive husband via poison, and you know.

I would say nothing.

Scenario Six:
Your neighbors wife sleeps with the whole neighborhood, your neighbor comes home during the act and accidentally kills the man sleeping with her. The wife says nothing to the police and pretend it's a break-in/rape.

I would say nothing.

Scenario Seven:
You neighbor's daughter died from a heroin overdose from a drug den down the block. You watch your neighbor burn down the whole joint with the dealers inside.

I would say nothing.

Going to give several scenarios, starting with menial bullshit, to non violent felonies, to acts of violence.

Scenario One:

Scenario Two A:

Scenario Two B:
You witness someone stealing your neighbors car (or another car around where you immediately live).

I would say something

Scenario Three:

Scenario Four:

I would say something.

Scenario Five:

I would say nothing.

Scenario Six:
Your neighbors wife sleeps with the whole neighborhood, your neighbor comes home during the act and accidentally kills the man sleeping with her. The wife says nothing to the police and pretend it's a break-in/rape.

I would say nothing.

Scenario Seven:
You neighbor's daughter died from a heroin overdose from a drug den down the block. You watch your neighbor burn down the whole joint with the dealers inside.

I would say nothing.

Yup. That is about right for me as well.
I tend to never want to call the police, because I don't trust them or what they are going to do.
Even if someone was breaking into my car or house, I would prefer to deal with it myself instead of calling the police, because I would be afraid the police would likely shoot first, and it could turn out to be a harmless juvenile.

Not sure about the violent ones but I learned my lesson reporting crimes to the cops. They treat YOU like a suspect.

Scenario One:

Scenario Two A:

I think I would say something.

Scenario Two B:
You witness someone stealing your neighbors car (or another car around where you immediately live)

I would say something.

Scenario Three:

I would not say anything unless asked by LE directly.

Scenario Four:

I would say something.

Scenario Five:

Scenario Six:

I would keep my mouth shut.

Scenario Seven:

This exercise made me realize something. I am not Mr. Law and Order any longer. I always though I would unquestionably tell/help police. Sometimes you just don't want to interfere with karma.

Scenario One:

Scenario Two A:

Scenario Two B:
You witness someone stealing your neighbors car (or another car around where you immediately live)

I would say something.

Scenario Three:

Scenario Four:

I would say something.

Scenario Five:

Scenario Six:

Scenario Seven:

This exercise made me realize something. I am not Mr. Law and Order any longer. I always though I would unquestionably tell/help police. Sometimes you just don't want to interfere with karma.

I thought about those in particular because they've all happened in the metropolitian area where I live.

I noticed cops themselves don't go to great lengths to solve some of those cases either (for instance it's on record the husband was abusive or the place burnt down was a notorious drug den). Unless it's black and white and they got a "smoking gun" it pretty much goes cold.

Scenario One:

I would catch up to them outside and ask why they stole. If they have a money problem i help them.

Scenario Two A:

I would call the police

Scenario Two B:

I would say something

Scenario Three:

If they were selling weed I would not say anything. Other wise call police.

Scenario Four:

I would say something.

Scenario Five:

I would say nothing.

Scenario Six:

I would say nothing.

Scenario Seven:

I would call police.
My answers are in red.

Scenario One:

Scenario Two A:

Scenario Two B:

I would say something.

Scenario Three:

Scenario Four:

I would say something.

Scenario Five:

Scenario Six:

Scenario Seven:

I thought about those in particular because they've all happened in the metropolitian area where I live.

I noticed cops themselves don't go to great lengths to solve some of those cases either (for instance it's on record the husband was abusive or the place burnt down was a notorious drug den). Unless it's black and white and they got a "smoking gun" it pretty much goes cold.
I don't want to live where you do!

I don't want to live where you do!

There's too many crimes in heavily populated areas like Queens and the surrounding Tristate region for the cops to solve.

One of the reasons gang bangers usually get away with killing other gangbangers is simply because the cops figure "one less thug on the streets, and we'd rather devote our resources to helping law abiding citizens."

Witness the truth of what you know when called. Don't worry, you will never be called. The police are loathe to assume the burden to prove that the truth of what you know is actually the truth.

How do you "shoplift extra food" and how would you know it was "extra" if you decided to blow the whistle? Are we talking about extra mustard packets or more half&half in their latte than you think someone deserves?

How do you "shoplift extra food" and how would you know it was "extra" if you decided to blow the whistle? Are we talking about extra mustard packets or more half&half in their latte than you think someone deserves?

Most shoplifters don't walk out with an entire unpaid shopping cart.

They usually pay for 50-70%, and cleverly conceal the rest either directly or indirectly.

Forum List

Back