“Uncomfortable conversations”

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
What the hell are people talking about? They talk race and racism all the time and then say it’s time for people to have uncomfortable conversations about race. What are they talking about?

It means just what it says. I'll give you an example. A white person says something idiotic like why doesnt BLM care about Black on Black crime. The conversation that would follow would be uncomfortable for you because you would have to think and listen which apparently makes white people uncomfortable.

It means just what it says. I'll give you an example. A white person says something idiotic like why doesnt BLM care about Black on Black crime. The conversation that would follow would be uncomfortable for you because you would have to think and listen which apparently makes white people uncomfortable.

So it’s only uncomfortable for one side?

why doesnt BLM care about Black on Black crime.

Because it is acknowledged as a “crime” and the perpetrators are prosecuted.

They are protesting because Police are given such wide latitude and are excused for excessive force and if prosecuted rarely face prison.

Understand the difference?

Why is the distinction between “crime” and interracial crime so important? BLM only cares when blacks are killed by whites and not a peep about blacks killing blacks. Sorry there’s no justification for that attitude

They are protesting because Police are given such wide latitude and are excused for excessive force and if prosecuted rarely face prison.

Why is the distinction between “crime” and interracial crime so important? BLM only cares when blacks are killed by whites and not a peep about blacks killing blacks. Sorry there’s no justification for that attitude
Exactly.

Depends on the person. For me its amusing but then I like talking to people about real things.

See what I mean? See what you just did?

"BLM only cares when blacks are killed by whites and not a peep about blacks killing blacks"

Thats an ignorant statement.

Why?

Because police should be held to a higher standard of behavior.

Black on Black crime is not excused. One of the reasons the black prison population is so high. Blacks see no reason why a black man should be excused for killing another black. They are not.

What causes outrage is police killing unarmed blacks who are not resisting or a threat. For too long those killings have been blamed on the victim and the police were given wide latitude.

Today though many of these killings are on video and the old excuses of “the guy was resisting arrest” do not ring true.

You've must not have had much contact with our criminal "justice" system.

When a crime is committed and the perpetrator is known in most cases they will be arrested and prosecuted and if the perperator is black you can be damn sure that they will be prosecuted and locked up.

When the "crime" is commited by a law enforcement officer, they have qualified immunity and are rarely if ever prosecuted. Because they have pretty much have absolute discretion in what actions they take and are rarely punished for abusing that discretion, there is a lot of resentment for how policing is done particularly in the black communities.

"The birth and development of the American police can be traced to a multitude of historical, legal and political-economic conditions. The institution of slavery and the control of minorities, however, were two of the more formidable historic features of American society shaping early policing. Slave patrols and Night Watches, which later became modern police departments, were both designed to control the behaviors of minorities...."
Continued here: A Brief History of Slavery and the Origins of American Policing | Police Studies Online

You've must not have had much contact with our criminal "justice" system.

When a crime is committed and the perpetrator is known in most cases they will be arrested and prosecuted and if the perperator is black you can be damn sure that they will be prosecuted and locked up.

When the "crime" is commited by a law enforcement officer, they have qualified immunity and are rarely if ever prosecuted. Because they have pretty much have absolute discretion in what actions they take and are rarely punished for abusing that discretion, there is a lot of resentment for how policing is done particularly in the black communities.

"The birth and development of the American police can be traced to a multitude of historical, legal and political-economic conditions. The institution of slavery and the control of minorities, however, were two of the more formidable historic features of American society shaping early policing. Slave patrols and Night Watches, which later became modern police departments, were both designed to control the behaviors of minorities...."
Continued here: A Brief History of Slavery and the Origins of American Policing | Police Studies Online
Your explanation along with Rightwingers is going to make Rocko uncomfortable. He will have to either continue with his cognitive dissonance or own up to the fact that his ignorant belief system has a major flaw. I'm betting he will lapse back into cognitive dissonance simply to remove the uncomfortableness.

It's generally uncomfortable to individuals who've never or never have had to confront the issue before, irrespective of what the topic may be. Racism for a lot of white people is one of those uncomfortable topics because they've never had any real reason to ponder it while for most of us black people, we've had to confront it whether we wanted to or not simply because we're black and racism is a part of life for us.

[/QUOTE]

Why?

Because police should be held to a higher standard of behavior.

Black on Black crime is not excused. One of the reasons the black prison population is so high. Blacks see no reason why a black man should be excused for killing another black. They are not.

What causes outrage is police killing unarmed blacks who are not resisting or a threat. For too long those killings have been blamed on the victim and the police were given wide latitude.

Today though many of these killings are on video and the old excuses of “the guy was resisting arrest” do not ring true.

There are plenty of murders in the inner cities that go unsolved, and plenty of blacks charged with murder that win their cases. Statistically unarmed blacks are rarely killed by police.

what are you talking about, butterfly ? What is "idiotic" about OBSERVING the fact that young black males shoot each other in New York City at an ALARMING rate-----and the fact does not instigate riots? What is ALARMING about the fact that despite the blatant IN THE STREET gunfights---the people in black areas like EAST NY can barely come up with a witness?. I observed that fact for many years-----just about the entire decade of the 1990s. It's nothing new----young black males shoot each other. There was a shoot out right in front of my house a few years ago-----the cops did check my surveillance tapes. BUT no one was talking. The good news is that no one got killed-----just one guy got a few bullets in his ass

what are you talking about, butterfly ? What is "idiotic" about OBSERVING the fact that young black males shoot each other in New York City at an ALARMING rate-----and the fact does not instigate riots? What is ALARMING about the fact that despite the blatant IN THE STREET gunfights---the people in black areas like EAST NY can barely come up with a witness?. I observed that fact for many years-----just about the entire decade of the 1990s. It's nothing new----young black males shoot each other. There was a shoot out right in front of my house a few years ago-----the cops did check my surveillance tapes. BUT no one was talking. The good news is that no one got killed-----just one guy got a few bullets in his ass
" What is "idiotic" about OBSERVING the fact that young black males shoot each other in New York City at an ALARMING rate "

Its only idiotic to claim BLM doesnt care about that or pretend you are not attempting to change the conversation when saying this. It would be like me asking why dont whites care about the white on white violent crimes when youre talking about breast cancer.

" What is "idiotic" about OBSERVING the fact that young black males shoot each other in New York City at an ALARMING rate "

Its only idiotic to claim BLM doesnt care about that or pretend you are not attempting to change the conversation when saying this. It would be like me asking why dont whites care about the white on white violent crimes when youre talking about breast cancer.

?? what does breast cancer have to do with the out of sight murder rate---black on black--- in east NY (brooklyn) ?? The situation is very close to me because I lived in the midst of it for many years. If the BLM
movement were CONCERNED about the black on black murder rate --------why do they keep their concern a secret and even delve into moronic sophistry in trying to blame it on "white racism"?

?? what does breast cancer have to do with the out of sight murder rate---black on black--- in east NY (brooklyn) ?? The situation is very close to me because I lived in the midst of it for many years. If the BLM
movement were CONCERNED about the black on black murder rate --------why do they keep their concern a secret and even delve into moronic sophistry in trying to blame it on "white racism"?
" ?? what does breast cancer have to do with the out of sight murder rate---black on black--- in east NY (brooklyn) ?? "

I couldnt have set you up better if I had tried. :lol:

My answer to that is...exactly? What does the fact that people that are paid to prevent crime are killing, harassing, and brutalizing Black people have to do with Black on Black crime?

..that's because it is very rare for police to unjustifiably kill any one = the protests are stupid
AND blacks murder over 3000 blacks every year!
AND blacks murder whites at TEN times the rate of vice versa
SO--they are full of shit and make no sense

..that's because it is very rare for police to unjustifiably kill any one = the protests are stupid
AND blacks murder over 3000 blacks every year!
AND blacks murder whites at TEN times the rate of vice versa
SO--they are full of shit and make no sense

No where in the mission statement of BLM do they say they are only protesting killings. Your argument is another example of failed white uncomfortableness with the truth.

" Four years ago, what is now known as the Black Lives Matter Global Network began to organize. It started out as a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission was to build local power and to intervene when violence was inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. "

Forum List

Back