Unbiased analysis of VP debate

Some Guy

Deregulated User
Jan 19, 2010
I'm sure this fall to the bottom of the board since the crazy wingers here won't agree, but anyway. I'm not going to nitpick everything that was said. These debates are much more about style than substance. Prospective undecided voters have a few key issues that are important to them and they want to get a feel for the candidates and their convictions more so than they want a laundry list of exact details about every little thing.

I think if anyone won the debate, it was Biden. To get one thing out of the way, he had a little bit of help from the moderator. She spent a lot of time on foreign policy which is her and Biden's wheelhouse. She didn't step in and halt Biden's constant interruptions of Ryan and she was more critical of Ryan with follow-up questions. But, it was nothing that gave Biden an overwhelming advantage at all.

Biden hurt himself by constantly interrupting Ryan and smirking, chuckling and shaking his head when Ryan talked. You disagree with him? Think he's full of shit? That's fine. Give him his time and then respond. It's what Romney did to Obama and one reason he came away with a convincing victory.

Biden doing that crap undermined his otherwise thoughtful and forceful responses. He spoke with conviction and aggression. He didn't let Ryan's assertions go unquestioned. And even though he was condescending in his tone with plenty of responses, i think that helped him a lot more than hurt him. Romney vs. Obama: they're both about the same age with experiences in different areas. One talking down to the other as if "well, once you get some experience, you'll know" doesn't work all the time. With Biden being so much older and so much more experienced in debates, with foreign policy, etc, he can credibly come across like that... like a father smacking his son down for saying stupid stuff. "No no.. *laugh* ..let me tell you how it really is." It worked, i thought. He did a bit of Romney did in the first debate too, ticking items off a list. "First... second.." Made him sound very organized and informed in his responses.

Biden came in with higher expectations and he lived up to them, for the most part. Again, without the constant interruptions and chuckling while Ryan speaks, Biden wins pretty handily.

I thought Ryan lived up to expectations. I don't think anyone expected him to fall on his face as he's an experienced politician despite his youth and he's very clear when he speaks. He did a nice job of lightly dodging some questions when needed, sounded like he knew what he was talking about regarding foreign policy for the most part despite not having a strong/long reputation there. He was able to speak with conviction. He was respectful and sounded pretty sincere. Didn't make any gaffes. Towed the campaign line and stuck to the things that the campaign has been harping on. Nothing overwhelming, nothing spectacular at all. His plan seemed to be to go in, show well, don't get your ass kicked, look and sound presidential and he accomplished that.

Considering the fairly even showing and the fact that these guys are only VPs, i'm guessing this is almost nothing for either side. If anything, it did more for the Dem side because of the major Obama let down. It gets the base a bit more fired up and maybe sets the tone for Obama going into the next debate.

Any other thoughts other than "ROMNEY/OBAMA SUXXXORZ!" ???

Biden did an excellent job. Based on compassion, facts and sincerity - I give him an A. He was the adult on stage.

Ryan did a poor job. Based on LACK OF compassion, facts and sincerity - I give him a D. He was the child on stage.

I thought the moderator was good (not great) - I give her a B. I thought she cheated Biden out of equal time, leaving Biden with little choice but to sometimes interrupt Ryan.

All the matters is what the American People thought. According to 2 polls now they think Ryan won.

CNN

ryan 48
Biden 44

NBC

Ryan 56
Biden 36

Clearly Style Matters.

Biden did an excellent job. Based on compassion, facts and sincerity - I give him an A. He was the adult on stage.

Ryan did a poor job. Based on LACK OF compassion, facts and sincerity - I give him a D. He was the child on stage.

I thought the moderator was good (not great) - I give her a B. I thought she cheated Biden out of equal time, leaving Biden with little choice but to sometimes interrupt Ryan.

this pathetic even for you. go back to the clubhouse and get a new defense.

Keyword: unbiased. You're anything but, but thanks for participating.

I'm sure this fall to the bottom of the board since the crazy wingers here won't agree, but anyway. I'm not going to nitpick everything that was said. These debates are much more about style than substance. Prospective undecided voters have a few key issues that are important to them and they want to get a feel for the candidates and their convictions more so than they want a laundry list of exact details about every little thing.

I think if anyone won the debate, it was Biden. To get one thing out of the way, he had a little bit of help from the moderator. She spent a lot of time on foreign policy which is her and Biden's wheelhouse. She didn't step in and halt Biden's constant interruptions of Ryan and she was more critical of Ryan with follow-up questions. But, it was nothing that gave Biden an overwhelming advantage at all.

Biden hurt himself by constantly interrupting Ryan and smirking, chuckling and shaking his head when Ryan talked. You disagree with him? Think he's full of shit? That's fine. Give him his time and then respond. It's what Romney did to Obama and one reason he came away with a convincing victory.

Biden doing that crap undermined his otherwise thoughtful and forceful responses. He spoke with conviction and aggression. He didn't let Ryan's assertions go unquestioned. And even though he was condescending in his tone with plenty of responses, i think that helped him a lot more than hurt him. Romney vs. Obama: they're both about the same age with experiences in different areas. One talking down to the other as if "well, once you get some experience, you'll know" doesn't work all the time. With Biden being so much older and so much more experienced in debates, with foreign policy, etc, he can credibly come across like that... like a father smacking his son down for saying stupid stuff. "No no.. *laugh* ..let me tell you how it really is." It worked, i thought. He did a bit of Romney did in the first debate too, ticking items off a list. "First... second.." Made him sound very organized and informed in his responses.

Biden came in with higher expectations and he lived up to them, for the most part. Again, without the constant interruptions and chuckling while Ryan speaks, Biden wins pretty handily.

I thought Ryan lived up to expectations. I don't think anyone expected him to fall on his face as he's an experienced politician despite his youth and he's very clear when he speaks. He did a nice job of lightly dodging some questions when needed, sounded like he knew what he was talking about regarding foreign policy for the most part despite not having a strong/long reputation there. He was able to speak with conviction. He was respectful and sounded pretty sincere. Didn't make any gaffes. Towed the campaign line and stuck to the things that the campaign has been harping on. Nothing overwhelming, nothing spectacular at all. His plan seemed to be to go in, show well, don't get your ass kicked, look and sound presidential and he accomplished that.

Considering the fairly even showing and the fact that these guys are only VPs, i'm guessing this is almost nothing for either side. If anything, it did more for the Dem side because of the major Obama let down. It gets the base a bit more fired up and maybe sets the tone for Obama going into the next debate.

I think Ryan showed a lot of immaturity when he starts trying to tell us what the Iranian leaders think when they see this or that. How would he know what someone else thinks? And both Biden and Ryan talked as though the Iranian nuclear program has been weaponized, when, to date, there is no smoking gun that would prove that assumption true. They either need to pony up the evidence the program has been weaponized, or stop all the saber rattling.

Even if Iran did get a "bomb", it is illegal for us to attack them over it. The truth is, Israel doesn't want them to get the "bomb", because they like being the only nuclear power in the ME. But they have no right whatsoever, to say who (or who cannot) have nuclear weapons.

I do agree with you that substance was lacking in the debate.

Before it was over someone was saying that the lefties would call it for Biden on "style". It's what they do when substance is lacking.

It wasn't a game changer for anyone....I think his blustering, grinning, interrupting pedantry prevented Ryan from really stealing the show...so it wasn't a game changer for anyone.

We didn't need another game changer, so that's okay. I think Ryan has the potential to be a star...I'm excited about the next prez debate!

I think your analysis is ok...but I think substantially it was closer than you thought......Biden has 3 HUGE problems.....

one the videos on Libya....that is a major lie.....

second was his Iran stance.....just trust us, it's not that big of a deal...this is after the 9/11 attacks and the fact they blamed a video? unfuckinbelievable

and third...didnt biden vote to put those 2 wars on a credit card?

All the matters is what the American People thought. According to 2 polls now they think Ryan won.

CNN

ryan 48
Biden 44

NBC

Ryan 56
Biden 36

Clearly Style Matters.

Yikes Lakhota. Seems your opinion is not in line with most.

Biden not only embarrassed himself, he embarrassed us all as Americans. Never have I seen a man which holds such a powerful office behave so poorly in a professional appearance. Internationally the people that viewed tonight's debate had to be shocked by Biden's demeanor and childish conduct. Not only did he make us all look bad as Americans he made his boss look like a fool on the world stage.

I think Ryan showed a lot of immaturity when he starts trying to tell us what the Iranian leaders think when they see this or that. How would he know what someone else thinks? And both Biden and Ryan talked as though the Iranian nuclear program has been weaponized, when, to date, there is no smoking gun that would prove that assumption true. They either need to pony up the evidence the program has been weaponized, or stop all the saber rattling.

Even if Iran did get a "bomb", it is illegal for us to attack them over it. The truth is, Israel doesn't want them to get the "bomb", because they like being the only nuclear power in the ME. But they have no right whatsoever, to say who (or who cannot) have nuclear weapons.

I do agree with you that substance was lacking in the debate.

First we know you hate jews....

Second you think Iran with a bomb is ok? So then Iraq, afganistan, Jordan, Syria...ect get them too? You dont see the danger of Iran having a bomb? let alone all these countries?

Uh you apparently are naive

LOL Cheated him out of time? CNN has Biden up by almost 2 minutes of talk time.

Biden took Ryan to school. Ryan honestly looked pretty awful and couldn't seem to directly answer a question while Biden countered with facts and owned this debate. I honestly think Republicans are just mad because Biden used the same strategy as Romney in his debate but just did it better.

Biden not only embarrassed himself, he embarrassed us all as Americans. Never have I seen a man which holds such a powerful office behave so poorly in a professional appearance. Internationally the people that viewed tonight's debate had to be shocked by Biden's demeanor and childish conduct. Not only did he make us all look bad as Americans he made his boss look like a fool on the world stage.

One of the most obviously biased posts I have ever read on any message board anywhere. What debate were you watching? This debate was a lot closer than the Romney-Obama wipe out, but Biden clearly prevailed on a number of bases. First of all, he was fully informed and delivered his facts with crisp accuracy. Ryan did not have anywhere near as many facts and his presentation was at times petulant and deferential to Biden's obviously superior knowledge of the subject matter. Ryan was woefully weak on foreign policy - a specialty of Biden's, who wiped Ryan out in this area of the debate.

Biden came across as the experienced professional that he is - a man who has participated in everything that was being discussed. Ryan came across as exactly what he is - an inexperienced, young hopeful, desperately wanting to someday be able to do the kind of job that Biden has been doing for decades. I felt, at times, that Ryan was actually listening to Biden and learning from what he was hearing.

For you to say that Biden "made America look bad" speaks only to your obvious partisanship and total lack of ability to perceive.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back