UN to fly aid supplies to Syria from Iraq

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
At least the people in one refugee camp will be helped.

UN to fly aid supplies to Syria from Iraq
Up to 12 flights will carry food and winter supplies to Syria's mostly Kurdish north-east as cold weather sets in

theguardian.com, Tuesday 10 December 2013 11.14 EST

A Syrian refugee at a refugee camp near Arbil, in Iraq. Aid supplies are to be flown from Arbil to north-east Syria. Photograph: Reuters
The United Nations' first relief airlift to Syria from Iraq will deliver food and winter supplies to the mostly Kurdish north-east this week with the permission of both governments, the UNHCR refugee agency has said.

Ilyushin-76 commercial cargo planes will fly from Arbil, in northern Iraq, to Hassakeh. Amin Awad, director of UNHCR's Middle East and north Africa bureau, said up to 12 flights were scheduled from Thursday to Sunday.

To continue reading, go to:

UN to fly aid supplies to Syria from Iraq | World news | theguardian.com

Do you wonder why the U.S. has suspended non-lethal aid to that region?

I would have no idea. Write your Congressman for the answer. Do you have a problem with the U.N. delivering such aid? After all, the U.S. is such a big, big contributor to the U.N. so in essence this aid also comes from the American people.

I would have no idea. Write your Congressman for the answer. Do you have a problem with the U.N. delivering such aid? After all, the U.S. is such a big, big contributor to the U.N. so in essence this aid also comes from the American people.

Both the U.S. and Britain have suspended aid shipments to that part of Syria because Islamists are intercepting and seizing them.

You got a problem with that?

Both the U.S. and Britain have suspended aid shipments to that part of Syria because Islamists are intercepting and seizing them.

You got a problem with that?

Well if you knew the answer, why did you have to ask the question? I think we all know that there are groups which steal supplies which are supposed to go help the people, such as the Pakistani Army stealing the goods which were intended for the Pakistani people when they had those floods some years back. I believe the same thing goes on in Somalia.

Maybe the UN will ultimately be delivering supplies into the hands of the same Islamists that hijacked US/Britain aid. I wonder why they think their efforts will meet with success where others failed.

Maybe the UN will ultimately be delivering supplies into the hands of the same Islamists that hijacked US/Britain aid. I wonder why they think their efforts will meet with success where others failed.

Let's just hope that the refugees which get the help which is so badly needed. Keep your fingers crossed that the U.N. succeeeds in its efforts.

Forum List

Back