UN Relief Workers houses on luxury cruise ships

CMike

Zionist, proud to be
Oct 25, 2009
FOXNews.com - With Haiti in Ruins, Some U.N. Relief Workers Live Large on 'Love Boat'

For the United Nations World Food Program, it was a moment of satisfaction: the U.N.'s flagship relief agency announced on its Web site on March 19 that two gleaming passenger ships had docked in ravaged Port au Prince harbor.

What the Web site announcement did not disclose was that the vessels were intended to house not homeless Haitian refugees, but employees of the U.N. itself. Nor did it publicize the cost of leasing the ships: $112,500 a day. Nor did it mention that one of the vessels is owned by a company closely linked to the government of Venezuelan strongman President Hugo Chavez.

Another thing not mentioned: Even U.N. staffers regularly refer to one of the ships as "the Love Boat."

This is why I despise the UN. The corruption is so think you can cut through it with a knife.

The only good thing I've seen them do is provide a place for all the treaties of the world to be archived and searched.

That really isnt something that would be difficult to do elsewhere though.

If the U.N. were an honest organization, the HQ would be in some impoverished third world country instead of in New York City.

Umm didn't we do the same thing during the aftermath of Katrina?

We had people who were supposed to be helping victims living on ships in luxary after Katrina? I haven't heard this story. Could you put it out. Because Id be even more pissed about our government doing that.

Its been done before.

Unused cruise ships make good portable hotels. There are no hotels in Haiti and cruise ships offer clean amenities to workers and volunteers.
Your evenings may be nice, but your daily job of working under extremely stressful conditions do not make up for it.

This is ridiculous. Do they even have the right clothes to dress for dinner?

Its been done before.

Unused cruise ships make good portable hotels. There are no hotels in Haiti and cruise ships offer clean amenities to workers and volunteers.
Your evenings may be nice, but your daily job of working under extremely stressful conditions do not make up for it.

stop, your ruining their UN bashing:lol:

I believe post Katrina cruise ships were used.. to house the victims of katrina..

With new cruise ships entering the fleet each year, there are many older ships that are just sitting idle. The cruise ship has its own power, communications, food and medical facilities. Bringing it into a situation like Haiti is ideal for the workers and for the ship owner.

I do not begrudge a UN worker who spends 12 hour days offering aid to some of the poorest people on earth in some of the worst conditions having a couple of hours a day to live in comfort on a cruise ship.

With new cruise ships entering the fleet each year, there are many older ships that are just sitting idle. The cruise ship has its own power, communications, food and medical facilities. Bringing it into a situation like Haiti is ideal for the workers and for the ship owner.

I do not begrudge a UN worker who spends 12 hour days offering aid to some of the poorest people on earth in some of the worst conditions having a couple of hours a day to live in comfort on a cruise ship.

Wonder how much tents and other facilities to house these people would of cost? Probably about the same, without the more hospitable conditions of a solid roof and facilities

Im actually rather suprised you are comfortable with them spending aid money to live in comfort instead of you know, aiding people.

Im actually rather suprised you are comfortable with them spending aid money to live in comfort instead of you know, aiding people.

Yes I am comfortable.

They work under extreme arduous conditions. For them to be able to live in safe, clean and comfortable contitions is well deserved

The cruise ships should be used to give housing to the victims not to be used for the luxury of the UN workers.

Its been done before.

It would be kind of nice if the homeless Haiti were put up in it.

Forum List

Back