Umpires: Small change, big impact

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I don't know about this. I actually like it when offenses use the umpire as a pick. Plus this puts the guy in the defenses way and essentially gives the QB even more protection than he already has. I don't know if I like it.

It was easy to spot the headlines last week at the NFL owners meetings: Overtime and the Donovan McNabb trade saga. We've covered both relatively thoroughly here on this blog, so in lieu of a weekend mailbag, I'd like to take a look at a less alluring development that plenty of coaches nevertheless think will have a big impact on the game next season.

You might have heard the basics: The league has moved the position of the umpire from about five yards behind the defensive line to about 12 yards deep in the offensive backfield. Final details have yet to be worked out, but it's expected the umpire and referee essentially will flank the quarterback pocket. (I know this because Minnesota coach Brad Childress excitedly drew me a diagram on the final day of the meetings.)

Umpires: Small change, big impact - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Gee. I wonder why Childress is happy. how many more fines will there now be on defensive ends for not putting Favre down easily?

Gee. I wonder why Childress is happy. how many more fines will there now be on defensive ends for not putting Favre down easily?

Childress is happy because it gives Percy Harvin a free lane to run out of the slot. Eventually though, defense will adapt to that and there won;t be that advantage anymore.

Forum List

Back