UM & OSU "rematch" for national title (poll)

Should UM play OSU for the national title?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Redhots

Apr 9, 2006
Article written before the game that sums up my thoughts.

MITCH ALBOM: Why not U-M, OSU in rematch for title?

November 15, 2006

In boxing, every guy has a plan until he gets hit. In college football, everyone has a national championship system -- until it doesn't work.

Lately, pundits have been shooting down a possible Michigan-Ohio State rematch for the national title. They don't like it. Even Bo Schembechler has said he wouldn't want one. Of course, I remember Bo when he didn't want any national championships, either.

The arguments go like this: "If Michigan and Ohio State play again for the national title, it waters down this weekend's game."

Or "If they play again, it's like splitting the series." Or "If they play again, and the loser wins the next time, then it's ... it's ..."

It's what?

It's -- to paraphrase Hyman Roth in "The Godfather" -- the system we've chosen.

And that system is to let computers help rank teams and put the top two in a national championship game.

Hey. I didn't invent the thing. I've been in favor of a four-team playoff for years. But we don't have that. We have rankings. And if No. 1 plays No. 2 and it's a close game, and you follow the way this dumb system has worked all year, then the two of them playing each other again is hardly out of line -- and it shouldn't matter whether you like it or not.

You can't be Mr. Spock most of the season and Captain Kirk at the end.

Can't stop it now

Remember that computers don't account for things like hype or boredom. The computer doesn't care that you can't get revved up for the same game twice in seven weeks. (Which, by the way -- with sports what it is -- is laughable.)

A computer's job is to stick with the facts and apply them as equally in the first week as in the last. So let's run a few scenarios.

Say Michigan-Ohio State is decided by a late field goal. Michigan wins. (Hey, it's my scenario, I can pick who I want.) Who, besides Ohio State, should U-M play?

Well, next up is USC, No. 3 in the BCS rankings -- the same USC that squeaked past lesser opponents this year and only jumped this high because a bunch of other one-loss teams became two-loss teams. Now suddenly the Trojans, who got thumped by -- ahem -- Oregon State, should play for the title over the Buckeyes? Why? Isn't losing to Oregon State worse than losing to Michigan?

But wait. USC has to play Notre Dame, which has been climbing up the outside like a racehorse. What if the Fighting Irish upset the Trojans? Their fans would say Notre Dame must play Michigan for the title.

Except these two teams already met, and the Wolverines trashed them. Why should the Irish get a second chance when the Buckeyes can't? Why is a rematch of an early-season game any better than a rematch of the season finale?

Someone will make a case for No. 4 Florida. But the Gators already lost to Auburn, a team that has lost twice, including a beating by Georgia. Someone else will say, hey, No. 6 Rutgers is undefeated. But are you telling me a Michigan-Rutgers national championship is more desirable than UM-OSU?

You live with a computer, or you lose it. You can't just unplug it.

Blame the system

Now it's true, the BCS also is determined by two polls voted on by coaches and writers. And those voters might say Ohio State had its chance or only conference winners should play for the title or nobody likes a rematch.

But none of that is true in other sports. In pro football, the team you play in the season finale can be the team you face in the Super Bowl. In the NBA or NHL, conference winners can be eliminated by wild-card teams.

You can say that's what makes college football different. But that's silly. What really makes it different is the dumb BCS system -- a system designed to address this problem.

By the way, if we had a playoff involving the top four teams, with No. 1 playing No. 4, and Michigan beat Ohio State on Saturday, guess who U-M might face in the next game.

No. 4 Ohio State.

The truth is, rematches don't ruin anything except an argument. So is college football in the national championship business or the argument business?

Sometimes I can't tell.

The whole debate would be moot if they had a 4 or 8 team playoff but since its here, yes Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country. Their only loss on the year was to the best team in the country by 3 points. That puts them in the game. The fact that they both have to sit for 6 weeks without playing a game and then are expected to play for the national title is beyond ridiculous though.

College football will always be a stepchild in my eyes to NFL and College basketball because of it.

The whole debate would be moot if they had a 4 or 8 team playoff but since its here, yes Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country. Their only loss on the year was to the best team in the country by 3 points. That puts them in the game. The fact that they both have to sit for 6 weeks without playing a game and then are expected to play for the national title is beyond ridiculous though.

College football will always be a stepchild in my eyes to NFL and College basketball because of it.

Michigan has already been beaten by the current #1 team. To let them have a rematch for the national championship game would be both unprecedented and a big, fat FU to all the other schools in the running. I think it should be USC, provided they win out.

Michigan has already been beaten by the current #1 team. To let them have a rematch for the national championship game would be both unprecedented and a big, fat FU to all the other schools in the running. I think it should be USC, provided they win out.
I'd agree with you, had the game been at Michigan or a neutral site.

I'd agree with you, had the game been at Michigan or a neutral site.

You can't be bringing something as intangible as homefield advantage into national standings. Once that can of worms is open, it won't be long until 1-loss SEC teams are ranked as if they were undefeated, which I think is both fairer and far more likely to happen than what's being proposed here.

You can't be bringing something as intangible as homefield advantage into national standings. Once that can of worms is open, it won't be long until 1-loss SEC teams are ranked as if they were undefeated, which I think is both fairer and far more likely to happen than what's being proposed here.
Sure I can. In fact, I just did. I welcome whatever worms you wish to extract from your can.

Just more evidence that College Football is retarded. We're discussing a team's schedule and not whether or not they are the best team for the game.

Lets all say it together. Playoffs. MAybe one day when the old head AD's at these big name schools die.

Just more evidence that College Football is retarded. We're discussing a team's schedule and not whether or not they are the best team for the game.

Lets all say it together. Playoffs. MAybe one day when the old head AD's at these big name schools die.
I agree.

Looks like a moot point, now. USC has been bumped up to #2 with their crushing defeat of Notre Dame.
Which is stupid, when you think about it. Michigan had the SAME crushing defeat of Notre Dame, only it was AT Notre Dame.

USC loses to unranked Oregon State by 2, and Michigan loses to #1 Ohio State by 3, and USC is the better team?

Please. If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya.

Which is stupid, when you think about it. Michigan had the SAME crushing defeat of Notre Dame, only it was AT Notre Dame.

USC loses to unranked Oregon State by 2, and Michigan loses to #1 Ohio State by 3, and USC is the better team?

Please. If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya.
no kidding...michigan got SCREWED!!! florida?? give me a freakin' break, ohio st. is going to destroy them, that game will be over by halftime....ohio st 44, florida 14

no kidding...michigan got SCREWED!!! florida?? give me a freakin' break, ohio st. is going to destroy them, that game will be over by halftime....ohio st 44, florida 14

Bullcrap. Florida has a solid team this year, not to mention that the SEC is the toughest football conferance in the country. Florida will likely lose, but I guarantee it will be close. Here's the problem with the stuff y'all are throwing around here.

The National Championship cannot be a rematch. Rematch advantage goes to the team that previously lost, not to mention the fact that it's a slap in the face to all other contenders. That team had its shot and lost. It's time to step aside and give somebody else a bite at the apple.

Playoffs cannot work for college football players. Colleg athletes have classes, tests, and other diversions, and football games are far more taxing on the body than basketball games, take longer to set up and complete, and, in general, would interfere with the athletes' lives as students quite a bit more than March Madness. I don't want football players choosing between championships and passing their classes. It's an impossible standard.

Everybody is thinking about what's fair to Michigan, rather than what's fair to Ohio State. Ohio State beat that team, fair and square. They shouldn't have to beat them twice just to prove they can, not to mention the fact that, as I've stated before, rematch advantage goes to the one that lost the original game.

The rankings system already has enough complications without trying to break its back to get Michigan into the championship game. I mean, Rutgers was once ranked #2. Michigan lost to Ohio State. Depending on their bowl game and the results of the national championship game, they'll likely finish at #2 or #3, which is not a bad finish at all.

The championship game is going to be Ohio State vs. Florida. That much has been decided. There's nothing to be done about it at this point. It's going to be a good, hard fought game that Ohio State will likely win. Enjoy it or don't watch.

Bullcrap. Florida has a solid team this year, not to mention that the SEC is the toughest football conferance in the country. Florida will likely lose, but I guarantee it will be close. Here's the problem with the stuff y'all are throwing around here.

The National Championship cannot be a rematch. Rematch advantage goes to the team that previously lost, not to mention the fact that it's a slap in the face to all other contenders. That team had its shot and lost. It's time to step aside and give somebody else a bite at the apple.

Playoffs cannot work for college football players. Colleg athletes have classes, tests, and other diversions, and football games are far more taxing on the body than basketball games, take longer to set up and complete, and, in general, would interfere with the athletes' lives as students quite a bit more than March Madness. I don't want football players choosing between championships and passing their classes. It's an impossible standard.

Everybody is thinking about what's fair to Michigan, rather than what's fair to Ohio State. Ohio State beat that team, fair and square. They shouldn't have to beat them twice just to prove they can, not to mention the fact that, as I've stated before, rematch advantage goes to the one that lost the original game.

The rankings system already has enough complications without trying to break its back to get Michigan into the championship game. I mean, Rutgers was once ranked #2. Michigan lost to Ohio State. Depending on their bowl game and the results of the national championship game, they'll likely finish at #2 or #3, which is not a bad finish at all.

The championship game is going to be Ohio State vs. Florida. That much has been decided. There's nothing to be done about it at this point. It's going to be a good, hard fought game that Ohio State will likely win. Enjoy it or don't watch.
division 2 and 3 schools have playoffs...ohio st. coach tressel's former team youngstown st. won i think 2 or three national titles in a tournament format...so a tournament can be done.....move the start of the season back 2 weeks, and eliminate one non conference game.

i stand by my assertion that ohio st. will destroy florida...florida has a decent defense, but there offense will not be able to match ohio st.....game over by the half.

division 2 and 3 schools have playoffs...ohio st. coach tressel's former team youngstown st. won i think 2 or three national titles in a tournament format...so a tournament can be done.....move the start of the season back 2 weeks, and eliminate one non conference game.

i stand by my assertion that ohio st. will destroy florida...florida has a decent defense, but there offense will not be able to match ohio st.....game over by the half.

The SEC and the teams they regularly play are one of the main reasons for lack of a tournament. By the end of the tournament, everybody would be starting their second string due to injuries. The kind of hits, speed of play, and overall physical nature of division 1 and especially SEC play is why tournaments involving them are a bad idea (and also why I think Ohio State will find Florida to be a tough opponent). Arkansas and Oklahoma, especially, would cause problems. Even losing 50-14 against USC, Arkansas managed to take out 5 USC players for the rest of the game on a single kickoff return. The ball carrier was even knocked unconcious. Any team would be hard pressed to afford the medical bills from playing Arkansas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Tennessee right in a row, with Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Texas, and sometimes Ole Miss also being on the list of ambulance magnets. Even Vandy hits harder than your average non-SEC school, and they're seen as little more than a speed bump in the season. That's why I think it's good to give all of the athletes and couple of weeks off for a Christmas break to get healed up before playing a single, final bowl game, with one determining th National Champions.

And always remember, it's better than it used to be. Once upon a time, there was no Championship game, just post-season standings. Texas even lost its #1 position in the last year of tie games by losing on a failed 2-point conversion for the win in the last game of the season. They finished #3 and said they'd rather have done that than finish #1 by going for an easy tie.

I'm glad to see that the BCS got the right two teams in the championship game this year. HOWEVER, here's how I would change things up:

16 game single elimination tournament. All 11 conference champions are in, plus 5 wild cards. The "little" bowls get the first round, the "big" bowls get the remaining rounds.

I'm glad to see that the BCS got the right two teams in the championship game this year. HOWEVER, here's how I would change things up:

16 game single elimination tournament. All 11 conference champions are in, plus 5 wild cards. The "little" bowls get the first round, the "big" bowls get the remaining rounds.

A tournament on top of bowl games? Geez, I can see this one being supported by the sports medicine lobby.

More precisely, a tournament in which all 15 games were bowl games. That would get all the bowl game "owners" to buy in to the new system.

I see what you're saying. I'd say it's probably the best idea I've heard yet, though it still has the two in the National Championship game playing 4 post-season games against the toughest in the nation. Certainly no walk in the park.

no, they got 1 right, one wrong...

Wow. An SEC guy repping how hard the SEC is. Shocking.
Bullshit. Michigan didn't have a chance. Florida isn't going TO Ohio State to play Ohio State. THey're going to Arizona. It's NOT the same thing, and you're delusional if you think it is. And even if it WAS... if this was about someone else getting a turn, it'd be called a donkey ride, not the national championship.
Oh BULLSHIT. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. If you think any players for any team competing for the national championship even have to begin to worry about passing classes, you're naive beyond hope.
It's not about what's fair to ANY team. It's about taking the two BEST teams and making them play, not about what's fair to one team or another. This is why the BCS sucks. 3 years ago Urban Meyer was saying the EXACT same thing. Hell, Florida lost to Florida State and got a rematch in a bowl game around 10 years ago and ended up winning, which gave them the national championship.
It's horseshit and entirely dependent on WHEN your loss is in the season. If Michigan loses to Ohio State 2 months ago Florida isn't even being considered at this point. Michigan was dicked by the historical tradition of the last game of the year always being Ohio State.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Florida wins. THE dumbest part of college football is the 2-3 week difference in time off schools have.

Forum List

Back