Ukraine Latest: Annexation Votes Start in Russian-Occupied Areas

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A couple of months ago when it was clear that Ukraine was too large and too willing to fight for their survival the possible question was "is Russia going to secure some areas along their border of those with a large Russian speaking population and essential run a referendum for them to return back to Mother Russia?".

Initially, as experts were suggesting, I thought Russia might win this war fairly quickly. Ukranians changed this narrative with weapons assistance by the world. This defiance must have caught Russian leaders by surprise, it certainly caught military experts by surprise, A rare combination of poor Russian generals planning and Ukraines fierce resistance.

What should concern the world, from what I can tell from various online sources; is that the territories in question are all along the water coast line. The Sea of Azlov AND partially into the Black Sea. This suggests to me that Russia is going to control the ports of entry by ship and allow them to at a future date cut off all ports of entry to Ukraine if they wish to attack the larger Ukraine once again.

Will the 300,000 troops simply be placed in these new regions to defend the "new old Russian provinces from future attacks?"

I wouldn't be surprised if this is an attempt to choke off Ukraine and cause suffering during Russias historically "helpful" month in times of war....the harsh winters there. If they fail to expand into Ukraine, Putin can say "look a victory, we took 15% of Ukraines land of our Russian brothers who live there".

Regardless, let's hope global leaders are learning a lesson. Both Sweden and Italy have elected far right governments and it is going to continue, while the U.S defied all the odds by not electing Trump and deciding in record numbers to elect Biden and a far left administration.

This means the world will NOT be focusing on climate change or pronoun usage but instead will be focusing on more immediate security threats by Russia and illegal migration.

(Bloomberg) -- On the eve of the war’s seven-month mark, voting began Friday in four Moscow-occupied territories on whether to join Russia. Ukraine’s government and its allies have slammed the referendums as shams, reminiscent of a similar ballot in Crimea in 2014 ahead of annexation. “We cannot -- we will not -- allow President Putin to get away with it,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday.

Last edited:
Will the 300,000 troops simply be placed in these new regions to defend the "new old Russian provinces from future attacks?"

Just read Russian newspapers by usage of online translator.
300k troops are for press, in reality more as 1m received draft notices.
And this is just the beginning.
It could be more as 3m - 5m.

Just read Russian newspapers by usage of online translator.
300k troops are for press, in reality more as 1m received draft notices.
And this is just the beginning.
It could be more as 3m - 5m.

Does that excite you? Get the old motor running?

It’s a sham.

At the very least, it's being conducted under duress and after a major forced shift of demographics along with potential for additional citizens to be added. You cannot illegally occupy a territory, hold a gun to their heads and tell them "vote".

Referendums have a place in free societies, they can represent the will of the people and maybe Russia even had a path pre-invansion to push for recognition of these areas, somewhat like Quebec is viewed, rightfully or wrongfully, as a "distinct society" in Canada.

As I try to remain objective in 2022, Russian leaders must know that the International Community cannot simply accept such referendum results. Russia and others wouldn't accept them if the U.S were applying such a referendum, in say, Cuba.

The broader question seems to be "is this a first step by Russia to achieve permanent foothold with the intention of a broader campaign in the winter?"

A couple of months ago when it was clear that Ukraine was too large and too willing to fight for their survival the possible question was "is Russia going to secure some areas along their border of those with a large Russian speaking population and essential run a referendum for them to return back to Mother Russia?".

Initially, as experts were suggesting, I thought Russia might win this war fairly quickly. Ukranians changed this narrative with weapons assistance by the world. This defiance must have caught Russian leaders by surprise, it certainly caught military experts by surprise, A rare combination of poor Russian generals planning and Ukraines fierce resistance.

What should concern the world, from what I can tell from various online sources; is that the territories in question are all along the water coast line. The Sea of Azlov AND partially into the Black Sea. This suggests to me that Russia is going to control the ports of entry by ship and allow them to at a future date cut off all ports of entry to Ukraine if they wish to attack the larger Ukraine once again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is an attempt to choke off Ukraine and cause suffering during Russias historically "helpful" month in times of war....the harsh winters there. If they fail to expand into Ukraine, Putin can say "look a victory, we took 15% of Ukraines land of our Russian brothers who live there".

Regardless, let's hope global leaders are learning a lesson. Both Sweden and Italy have elected far right governments and it is going to continue, while the U.S defied all the odds by not electing Trump and deciding in record numbers to elect Biden and a far left administration.

This means the world will NOT be focusing on climate change or pronoun usage but instead will be focusing on more immediate security threats by Russia and illegal migration.

(Bloomberg) -- On the eve of the war’s seven-month mark, voting began Friday in four Moscow-occupied territories on whether to join Russia. Ukraine’s government and its allies have slammed the referendums as shams, reminiscent of a similar ballot in Crimea in 2014 ahead of annexation. “We cannot -- we will not -- allow President Putin to get away with it,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday.
I think we might remember this as the final act of a desperate little dictator named Putin. Not only are there riots in Russia in over 40 cities. It's spilling out into the republics ( 14 of them ) which help make up what we know as Russia today. Inadvertently Russian has given them an ideal solution. Every one of the republics can now have have their own referendums on whether or not to stay part of a criminal regime or rid themselves of Russia forever. I'm pretty sure this will end Russia as we know it today. Thanks for this one thing Putin. You finally freed millions of people that have been dominated by the Russian regime. You did one thing right.

Forum List

Back