UCLA professor quits job, says ‘woke takeover’ of education ‘intellectually corrupt’

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
You reap what you sow.

A UCLA professor wrote a scathing blog post detailing his exit from his tenured job over the “woke takeover of higher education,” which he described as causing havoc at the powerful California institution and at colleges across the country.

“I’m a professor, retiring at 62 because the Woke takeover of higher education has ruined academic life. ‘Another one?’ you ask. ‘What does this guy have to say that hasn’t already been said by Jordan Peterson, Peter Boghossian, Joshua Katz, or Bo Winegard?'” UCLA professor Joseph H. Manson wrote in a post on July 4.

Manson had been a tenured professor of anthropology at the university since 2000 and described that the school’s department was “unusually peaceful, cohesive, and intellectually inclusive” when he was tenured.

But that all changed by the late 2000s, Manson wrote.

You reap what you sow.

My cousin, ironically a professor of anthropology and archaeology now retired, says much the same. The universities hire like minded professors these days and mentor those who accept the 'woke' doctrines in all aspects of American culture. And American 'woke' culture may have become the most extreme of any country.

It’s been developing for decades.
Yes. I (and others) have been tracking it from the 1960's. The "Hippie" generation was the first in American culture to pretty much totally reject the culture and values of their parents.

These folks had this fuzzy poorly defined vision of utopia that modified somewhat as they grew up, but remnants of it remained. Many were determined to leave their mark in the world. They rejected what they saw as 'greed and injustice' of capitalism and went into education, media, science, government. From there they mentored like minded individuals. And over the next decades as their numbers gradually gained majority, they began making life difficult for those in their ranks who didn't share their views. And the cancel culture was born.

For Marxism to be possible, it is necessary to control the minds of the children (education), control the message (media), control perceptions of how the world works (science), and gradually take the power (government.) We can see it happening before our eyes. And this is likely the last generation that can stop it.

True, but the George Floyd production and Black Lives Matter pushed it into high gear.
Or that is just the next step in the strategy? It is necessary to strike fear into the hearts of the people who might oppose the objectives of the 'woke', and how better than to use gullible young people to create havoc, burn, pillage, vandalize, threaten, assault, even commit battery and murder if they are offended or don't get their way? What judges or government officials have the courage to stand their ground against that? Or professors in universities? How many universities stood up against rioting students who were determined that no speaker offering conservative thought would be allowed on campus?

I don't know how many 'woke' folk on message boards, other social media, etc. have told me that it just isn't that way when they are in school. That their professors are just teaching subject matter.

But those who have been thoroughly indoctrinated and trained to think a certain way don't see anything unusual or even sociopolitical in what their mentors/teachers/professors are putting out there. Critical thinking is discouraged. Dissent is snuffed quickly. Questions are not allowed. Anything inconvenient to the narrative must be discredited, ignored, dismissed immediately. You accept the assigned point of view or your grades will suffer and graduating with honors cannot happen.

Or that is just the next step in the strategy? It is necessary to strike fear into the hearts of the people who might oppose the objectives of the 'woke', and how better than to use gullible young people to create havoc, burn, pillage, vandalize, threaten, assault, even commit battery and murder if they are offended or don't get their way? What judges or government officials have the courage to stand their ground against that? Or professors in universities? How many universities stood up against rioting students who were determined that no speaker offering conservative thought would be allowed on campus?

I don't know how many 'woke' folk on message boards, other social media, etc. have told me that it just isn't that way when they are in school. That their professors are just teaching subject matter.

But those who have been thoroughly indoctrinated and trained to think a certain way don't see anything unusual or even sociopolitical in what their mentors/teachers/professors are putting out there. Critical thinking is discouraged. Dissent is snuffed quickly. Questions are not allowed. Anything inconvenient to the narrative must be discredited, ignored, dismissed immediately. You accept the assigned point of view or your grades will suffer and graduating with honors cannot happen.
Exactly! It is laughable when The Woke Mob taking over education exclaims their love of "critical thinking'. But they have redefined the term to really mean WokeThink. Individual questioning is not allowed, submit or you will be silenced and dismissed from the collective.

Or forced out. Any professor unwilling to toe the far left ideological line is made very uncomfortable in most universities these days.

Or they would scour anything he has ever said online and can be taken out of context and used for grounds of dismissal.

Or just say by him not falling in line with woke ideas that he isn't creating a safe and inclusive atmosphere free or hate, blah blah blah and that he is dismissed.

Or they could just fabricate anonymous complaints from students and fire him.

Or they would scour anything he has ever said online and can be taken out of context and used for grounds of dismissal.

Or just say by him not falling in line with woke ideas that he isn't creating a safe and inclusive atmosphere free or hate, blah blah blah and that he is dismissed.

Or they could just fabricate anonymous complaints from students and fire him.
They don't hesitate to fire anybody they don't want if that person gives them cause. Like participating in a pro life demonstration or maybe praying in public or otherwise doing something opposed to the 'company line.' But without cause other than hating the person for his/her opinions, they try to avoid a firing that could make them look bad. They generally choose to make the person so miserable or feel so unwanted/unacceptable that they'll quit.

Terrible article. All it has is a guy saying he didnt fit in and wasnt part of the cool kids table. No actions were cited. Nothing. Just constant blathering about wokeness. No wonder he quit he is an intellectual microbe.
Well, lucky for you that you are an ultra-conformist who has never had so much as an original thought in your young life and doesnt have what it takes to be accepted to a University to begin with.

Well, lucky for you that you are an ultra-conformist who has never had so much as an original thought in your young life and doesnt have what it takes to be accepted to a University to begin with.
If I was a conformist I’d be on a liberal site complaining to other like minded folk vs mixing it up with you right wingers. By the way, I have 3 degrees from 2 top 5 public Universities and won a collegiate award for my senior thesis - it was awesome. My credentials for assessing bullshit are pretty strong.

Forum List

Back