Ubuntu 18.04

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Bionic Beaver (reminds me of a couple of old girlfriends......) was released a couple of days ago, the primary major change is no more Unity, rather the standard Gnome 3 interface.

Does this mean Unity is dead? Not so fast, Canonical knows there is a huge chunk of Unity fans so has made it possible to install Unity on 18.04. The only difference is Unity is now community supported, Ubuntu developers are no longer involved.

Last edited:
Personally I have been using Kubuntu 16.04 with Plasma 4 on my Linux desktop, Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 on my laptop for a while now. I like both but I think I'm leaning more towards Kubuntu. Now that 18.04 with Plasma 5 has been released I downloaded, burned it and loaded it on my desktop last night. Other than the fact that there's not many Plasma 5 widgets or themes yet I find it faster and cleaner than the 16.04 version.

One of the big changes with the new Ubuntu (and Ubuntu flavor) releases is the option for minimal as opposed to standard installation, basically what that means is many of the productivity packages are not included in the install allowing the user to pick and choose which packages they want.

The ability to pick out programs you don't want to default install is a big one.
That will make updates much faster also, 3/4 of what updates when it runs is programs I don't use.
Nice.

The ability to pick out programs you don't want to default install is a big one.
That will make updates much faster also, 3/4 of what updates when it runs is programs I don't use.
Nice.
I did the minimal Kubuntu install on my laptop, still has a lot of packages like VLC, etc but missing LibreOffice and a few others that comes with the standard installation and it's fast. I checked themes and it looks like the number available for Plasma 5 has doubled overnight. :thup:
Some of the packages left out;
  • Thunderbird
  • Transmission
  • Rhythmbox
  • LibreOffice (including language pack)
  • Cheese
  • Shotwell
  • ‘Example Content’

Bill-Gates-recommends-Ubuntu.jpeg

Slightly reminiscent of "Lindows".
What a shame that was. Lindows was arguably the best distro ever. It was the first to have an honest to goodness "app store" even before Apple had theirs. Beating out ubuntu's "Software Manager".
It was the first to offer a broad range of printer support, including fax/cop/print machines that Linux at the time had trouble with.
The first to solve the "ugly" GUI fonts.

It was truly a masterpiece. Until M$ lawyers stepped in. Finally paying out $23,000,000 to the makers to just quietly disappear. It was that good.

P.S.. yes I am aware that another company "bought" Lindows and changed the name to "Linspire" but the damage was done. Lindows machines were the first, and last Linux PC's sold by major consumer retailers.

What a shame that was. Lindows was arguably the best distro ever. It was the first to have an honest to goodness "app store" even before Apple had theirs. Beating out ubuntu's "Software Manager".
It was the first to offer a broad range of printer support, including fax/cop/print machines that Linux at the time had trouble with.

It was truly a masterpiece. Until M$ lawyers stepped in. Finally paying out $23,000,000 to the makers to just quietly disappear. It was that good.

P.S.. yes I am aware that another company "bought" Lindows and changed the name to "Linspire" but the damage was done. Lindows machines were the first, and last Linux PC's sold by major consumer retailers.
Lindows Linux Distro Is Back From The Dead: Linspire 7.0 And Freespire 3.0 Released

But it's not the same code, they just bought the trademark and attached it to an Ubuntu offshoot.

Last edited:

Lindows Linux Distro Is Back From The Dead: Linspire 7.0 And Freespire 3.0 Released

I saw that, but I am not seeing anything special.
I mean...the Freespire uses Abiword??? Ugh.... maybe it is better but it was one of the worst word processors I tried years ago. Well...okay Corel office for Linux prolly was the worst ever. Wow that was bad.

M$ knew what they were doing when they paid them off. Lindows was at least 5 years ahead of everyone else, who knows the things they may have come up with by now.

I saw that, but I am not seeing anything special.
I mean...the Freespire uses Abiword??? Ugh.... maybe it is better but it was one of the worst word processors I tried years ago. Well...okay Corel office for Linux prolly was the worst ever. Wow that was bad.

M$ knew what they were doing when they paid them off. Lindows was at least 5 years ahead of everyone else, who knows the things they may have come up with by now.
I was editing my post to cover that.

Forum List

Back