U.S. Troops In Iraq: Youngest Members Bore Heaviest Toll

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA

r-US-TROOPS-IN-IRAQ-large570.jpg

SILVANA, Wash. — In a hilltop graveyard overlooking this Stillaguamish River village lies a young soldier killed in the infancy of the Iraq war.

Army Spc. Justin W. Hebert's story is sad and sadly unremarkable, a tragedy bound up in the tale of a grinding war that took young lives with grievous regularity. Nearly one-third of U.S. troops killed in Iraq were age 18 to 21. Well over half were in the lowest enlisted ranks.

For Hebert, the Army was an adventure. But it didn't last long.

Barely two years after he finished high school, exactly three months after President George W. Bush declared the end of major combat in Iraq and just four days after his 20th birthday, Hebert was mortally wounded in an insurgent ambush that may have been a setup by an Iraqi "informant."

It was Aug. 1, 2003. The war, according to the Pentagon's plan, was supposed to be over. Baghdad had fallen swiftly. But a new, more menacing phase of conflict was just beginning. An insurgency was in the making, and in its formative months it perplexed U.S. commanders and cost Hebert his life.

In the years since, the U.S. effort in Iraq has veered from the brink of calamity to the threshold of surprising success. With the remaining U.S. troops now packing to leave, possibly for good, casualties and costs will be tallied one last time.

More elusive is a firm judgment on the net benefit of the American sacrifice, the more than 4,400 dead, the tens of thousands injured and the untold numbers suffering unseen psychological wounds for years to come.

The invasion, occupation and transition to Iraqi government control lasted far longer than predicted, cost more than imagined and left a town like Silvana, population 90, to wonder why a war so far away brought grief so close to home.

The sacrifice of so many lives like Hebert's helped turn U.S. public opinion firmly against the war by the time Barack Obama was campaigning for president in 2008. Three years later, young Americans still die in Iraq even though the war is widely seen as over.

It is also widely seen as a mistake, and by some as a waste.

Hebert was buried here in his hometown, about 50 miles north of Seattle, in a small, century-old graveyard surrounded by cedars and firs, beside a landmark known as The Little White Church on the Hill.

A recent visit to his grave shortly after the eighth anniversary of his death made clear that he has not been forgotten. His headstone was bedecked with one full-size and more than a dozen miniature American flags, potted plants, flower bouquets, cards and birthday balloons – silent tributes from a proud community.

Hebert's sister, Jessica Cole, described him as mouthy, a jokester, and a "smarty pants." He also had the inner strength, she said, to overcome his childhood fear of heights and volunteer for Army training in parachuting from airplanes. She said he had never been in a plane until he flew to Fort Sill, Okla., to begin basic training in June 2001.

"He would not get on a ladder to change Christmas lights on a two-story building for the life of him," she said in an interview.

He saw the Army as a ticket to a better life.

"He joined pretty much to get out of the little town we grew up in," she said, and for the chance to see the world. She never imagined he would return so soon to be buried by family and friends.

Was Silvana's and the Hebert family's loss for a greater gain?

Americans and Iraqis have to hope so. They hope Iraq, with the demise of Saddam Hussein and the promise of its vast oil resources, will overcome sectarian divisions to govern and defend itself with at least a semblance of democracy. They hope it will keep a lid on extremist fighters who will remain when the last American has gone home. And they hope Iran's militant Islam influence, already on the rise, will be kept in check.

But as the U.S. military role winds down, no one can be sure chaos will not return.

Chaos had not yet arrived when Hebert became the 254th American to die in Iraq. But it was closing in.

Six days after his death, a truck bomb exploded outside the Jordanian embassy in Baghdad, killing 17. Twelve days later insurgents destroyed the U.N.'s Baghdad offices, killing 22, collapsing U.N. aid efforts and crushing hopes for normalcy.

Death never crosses the mind of these young warriors - many just teens, feel invincible. And we know this isn't reality in a war zone.

A friend of my son - a 19 year old - just got back from Parris Island (on leave now) - heading to Afghanistan soon- he was telling me yesterday, "I can't (eff)ing wait to get there!"

Death never crosses the mind of these young warriors - many just teens, feel invincible. And we know this isn't reality in a war zone.

A friend of my son - a 19 year old - just got back from Parris Island (on leave now) - heading to Afghanistan soon- he was telling me yesterday, "I can't (eff)ing wait to get there!"

You know the old saying, those who want to go to war the most are those who have never been, I hope your friends son does well.

You know the old saying, those who want to go to war the most are those who have never been, I hope your friends son does well.

I hope so too. He's a good kid. I've known him since he was 6 !

I hope so too. He's a good kid. I've known him since he was 6 !

My prayers are with him, hope he kicks some Taliban ass and comes home safe and proud of his work.

New Topics

Forum List

Back