U.S. to withdraw 5,000 troops from Afghanistan, close bases: U.S. negotiator

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The United States would withdraw almost 5,000 troops from Afghanistan and close five bases within 135 days under a draft peace accord agreed with the Taliban, the chief U.S. negotiator, Zalmay Khalilzad, said on Monday.
The deal, reached after months of negotiations with representatives from the insurgent movement, must still be approved by U.S. President Donald Trump before it can be signed, Khalilzad said in an interview with Tolo News television.
In exchange for the phased withdrawal, the Taliban would commit not to allow Afghanistan to be used by militant groups such as al Qaeda or Islamic State as a base for attacks on the United States and its allies.
U.S. to withdraw 5,000 troops from Afghanistan, close bases: U.S. negotiator - Reuters

So, the next question is when do the other 14,000 leave.

Bout time
Let’s see if the Taliban is just laying low while we pull out

Yeah, about that. I don't trust the Taliban. I think this is a mistake.

Yeah... Without US forces there they might get all uppity, and decide to rule themselves as they see fit...

Can you believe they are finally having Gitmo trials after 18 years?

I have a feeling that as soon as we pull out, the Taliban will take over again

The United States would withdraw almost 5,000 troops from Afghanistan and close five bases within 135 days under a draft peace accord agreed with the Taliban, the chief U.S. negotiator, Zalmay Khalilzad, said on Monday.
The deal, reached after months of negotiations with representatives from the insurgent movement, must still be approved by U.S. President Donald Trump before it can be signed, Khalilzad said in an interview with Tolo News television.
In exchange for the phased withdrawal, the Taliban would commit not to allow Afghanistan to be used by militant groups such as al Qaeda or Islamic State as a base for attacks on the United States and its allies.
U.S. to withdraw 5,000 troops from Afghanistan, close bases: U.S. negotiator - Reuters

So, the next question is when do the other 14,000 leave.

Your numbers are way off. The 5000 are included in that 14,000. We would be leaving 9,000 troops. The main sticking point is that the Taliban want all US troops and CIA/ mercenaries gone!

Yeah... Without US forces there they might get all uppity, and decide to rule themselves as they see fit...

What would change from the last time they were in power?
A bigger axe to grind...

So, slaughtering civilians it is.
Is this the part where I’m supposed to care?

A bigger axe to grind...

I'm not sure I've ever seen (read) you care, it would throw me all off if you started that shit now.

A bigger axe to grind...

I'm not sure I've ever seen (read) you care, it would throw me all off if you started that shit now.
Do you think the Afghanis are undeserving of self determination?

A bigger axe to grind...

I do think they are deserving of self determination.

A bigger axe to grind...

I do.
Who then, pray tell; do you think has the right to determine their rule if not they themselves?

I do.
Who then, pray tell; do you think has the right to determine their rule if not they themselves?

I fixed that.

Forum List

Back