U.S. Supreme Court won't hear challenge to Hilton Head business tax

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
U.S. Supreme Court won't hear challenge to Hilton Head business tax

By DAN BURLEY
[email protected]January 15, 2015

The U.S. Supreme Court won't hear a plea from a Hilton Head Island company challenging how the town collects business-license fees.

The high court on Monday denied a request to review Kigre Inc.'s appeal of a ruling in June that upheld the town's practice. The court did not provide a reason for the decision.

Last summer, the S.C. Supreme Court ruled the town does not violate the U.S. Constitution's interstate commerce clause by charging Kigre a fee based upon its revenue. Kigre, a laser-component manufacturer on Marshland Road, has argued it should not have to pay the full amount since most of its revenue is from out-of-state customers.​

a year ago (now a 9 year battle):
Kigre asks US Supreme Court to hear Hilton Head dispute

The S.C. Supreme Court ruled the town does not violate the U.S. Constitution's interstate commerce clause by charging Kigre a fee based upon its revenue. Kigre, a laser-component manufacturer on Marshland Road, has argued it should not have to pay the full amount since most of its revenue is from out-of-state customers.

"It's a question of fairness," Kigre attorney Tom Taylor said. "The town is overreaching."

If Kigre makes money in Texas, for example, "the town simply doesn't have jurisdiction to reach our revenue in Texas," Taylor said.

Town officials have defended the practice, citing previous state court rulings that affirmed municipalities can impose the fees -- no matter where the sales occur.​

I would suggest Kigre find a new location to move to unless they enjoy shelling out money on fruitless, previously decided lawsuits. :dunno:

I would suggest Kigre find a new location to move to unless they enjoy shelling out money on fruitless, previously decided lawsuits. :dunno:

They've threatened that, but methinks Hilton Head having such cache...

They've been paying the taxes and don't seem to be hurting. Race to the bottom. Tell them to move to Somalia

New Topics

Forum List

Back