U.S. Retail Sales Unexpectedly Fall the Most in Nine Years

Who even cares? Thanks to the "Trump/Russia" thing going "poof", the left is desperately throwing up against wall whatever garbage they can fish out of the dumpster.

Still voting for him in 2020. :banana::dance::mm::5_1_12024:

So, you are saying that you don't care about GDP Growth or huge, fiscal deficits?

Yes or No, please?

BFD. So the government applied its seasonal adjustments that made retail sales appear like a loss. Then there was the government shutdown a few days before Christmas, and an unusual bout of cold weather that struck large portions of the country.

You zipperheads can run around like Chicken Little with your doom and gloom predictions and get your little pink panties in a wad, but I'm waiting to see what the January and February data have to say about the state of the economy.

They apply the seasonal adjustments every year. So that point means NOTHING.

And the shutdown was only 10 days of the 92 day 4'th quarter. So that point means almost nothing.

You can find an excuse for EVERY, SINGLE QUARTER IN HISTORY if you want to.

And you dodged the question:

So, you are saying that you don't care about GDP Growth or huge, fiscal deficits?

Yes or No, please?

Yes or No, please?
I care about it. That's one of the reasons I'll be voting for Trump again.

united-states-gdp-growth.png

1) Who the hell was asking you?

But since you butted into the conversation....

2)

United States GDP Growth Rate | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Now tell me how impressive Trump is doing in terms of GDP growth compared to the last 10 years?

3) So the economy has grown - under Trump - at 2.8% GDP growth for 2018 if the above numbers hold (after only 2.5% in 2017).

So, under Trump, the economy has averaged 2.65% GDP Growth over his two years in office.

But the fiscal deficit has skyrocketed under his watch from $665 Billion in FY 2017 (Obama's last) to $779B in FY 2018 to (on pace for) $1.275 TRILLION in FY 2019.

US Federal Deficit by Year - plus charts and analysis
https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/mts/mts.pdf

So you consider a President presiding over an economy running well under 3% GDP Growth rate with a fiscal deficit of over $1 trillion (during peacetime) is a success in these areas?

Yes or No, please?

And if 'yes'...how much of a deficit is a failure and/or how many years of sub-3% GDP Growth is still a success, please?

Last edited:
1) Who the hell was asking you?

But since you butted into the conversation....

2)

United States GDP Growth Rate | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Now tell me how impressive Trump is doing in terms of GDP growth compared to the last 10 years?

3) So the economy has grown - under Trump - at 2.8% GDP growth for 2018 if the above numbers hold (after only 2.5% in 2017).

So, under Trump, the economy has averaged 2.65% GDP Growth over his two years in office.

But the fiscal deficit has skyrocketed under his watch from $665 Billion in FY 2017 (Obama's last) to $779B in FY 2018 to (on pace for) $1.275 TRILLION in FY 2019.

US Federal Deficit by Year - plus charts and analysis
https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/mts/mts.pdf

So you consider a President presiding over an economy running well under 3% GDP Growth rate with a fiscal deficit of over $1 trillion (during peacetime) is a success in these areas?

Yes or No, please?

And if 'yes'...how much of a deficit is a failure and/or how many years of sub-3% GDP Growth is still a success, please?
1. 2009-2015 are post recession recovery years, with GDP upsurge the normal recoil after a recession. (not very relevant to this discussion)

2. In 2016, the only year that can be attributed to Obama, GDP growth sank from 2.3 to 1.8. After Trump took over, that sinking GDP rose to a high of 4.2%, dropping only to 3.4%, still at a relatively high rate. Trump's lowest is about equivalent to Obama's highest.

3. Trump in 2020.

As for the deficit, yes it has increased. but this must be looked at in terms of 2017-2019 events. Two things (among others) are going on here. One is tax cuts which are a slow developing method of increasing revenue, from increased economic production (which has increased as the chart in Post # shows)

Second is the increase in the military budget, to restore adequate national security, after the dip in military spending, during the Obama years. All three of the last Democratic presidents have had dips in military spending. The increases afterward, typically push the deficit upward, but do we want to leave ourselves falling behind in military readiness ? Democrats may be OK with that. I'm not.

Regarding who was asking me, since when do we have to be asked something to post in a forum thread ? Everyone is free to post wherever and whenever they wish. Invitations aren't required. The entire forum is an invitation. if anyone isn't cool with that, then they're not cool with participating in a computer forum. :biggrin:

b2418_chart1_2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back