U.S. Justice Dept Sues Arizona Over Restrictive Voting Requirements

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department sued the state of Arizona on Tuesday, alleging that a state law due to take effect in January violates federal law by requiring proof of citizenship documents for some federal elections.

This lawsuit reflects our deep commitment to using every available tool to protect all Americans' right to vote and to ensure that their voices are heard in our democracy, Kristen Clarke, the assistant attorney general for civil rights, told a press briefing.

DOJ (Garland) must like getting slapped down.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department sued the state of Arizona on Tuesday, alleging that a state law due to take effect in January violates federal law by requiring proof of citizenship documents for some federal elections.

This lawsuit reflects our deep commitment to using every available tool to protect all Americans' right to vote and to ensure that their voices are heard in our democracy, Kristen Clarke, the assistant attorney general for civil rights, told a press briefing.

Indulge me, tell me, what documents can be used to prove citizenship.

Indulge me, tell me, what documents can be used to prove citizenship.
Really?

• US. Passport. Because only natural born U.S. citizens and naturalized citizens can be issued a passport, holding a valid U.S. passport issued by the U.S. ...
  • Certificate of Citizenship. Sometimes a person can become a U.S. citizen even though they were not born in the U.S. ...
  • Birth Certificate. If you were born in the United States, the birth certificate issued by the state where you were born verifies your American citizenship.
  • Naturalization Certification. For those who became an American citizen via a U.S. naturalization ceremony, the naturalization certificate you received at the ceremony’s conclusion verifies your American citizenship.
How to prove your US Citizenship? | US Immigration Articles and News.

Showing you are a legal citizen with an ID is restricting the lefts right to cheat.
Next they'll sue to make sure dead people can keep voting because you can't discriminate against the non-living, they're one of the Dems largest voting blocks

Showing you are a legal citizen with an ID is restricting the lefts right to cheat.
Next they'll sue to make sure dead people can keep voting because you can't discriminate against the non-living
Not so fast! ;)

60b94n.jpg

Really?

• US. Passport. Because only natural born U.S. citizens and naturalized citizens can be issued a passport, holding a valid U.S. passport issued by the U.S. ...
  • Certificate of Citizenship. Sometimes a person can become a U.S. citizen even though they were not born in the U.S. ...
  • Birth Certificate. If you were born in the United States, the birth certificate issued by the state where you were born verifies your American citizenship.
  • Naturalization Certification. For those who became an American citizen via a U.S. naturalization ceremony, the naturalization certificate you received at the ceremony’s conclusion verifies your American citizenship.
Well now, lets go down your list by first combining two, in order to get a US passport you must supply a birth certificate, yet as many as 13 million "citizens" born in the United States don't have one. Most of them are people of color born in the South during the mid 20th century. They were born at home under the care of a midwife and were never issued a birth certificate. Often times the only solution is to appear before the court and ask for one, not an inexpensive proposition.

Certificate of citizenship, any idea how much it costs to get one? It is over a thousand dollars.

Now, a naturalization certificate is the best route, cost you fifty bucks. But that only applies to naturalized citizens.

I mean I am sure this litigation will reach the SCOTUS, and even though the court has ruled previously against such requirements, like in the case of Pennsylvania, mostly because of the birth certificate problem I mentioned, this new SCOTUS, with its tendency to let politics dominate its decision regardless of the consequences, could do what they have already done, disregard stare decisis and make up their own decision. As if the founders required proof of citizenship in order for a person to vote.

Really?

In Arizona, we provide proof of citizenship to get a driver's license. When I registered to vote, that was sufficient. When I vote at the polls, I present my driver's license and voter id card. Been that way for several years.

I hope the current DOJ respect the Constitution's advocacy of States' rights and responsibilites for providing for the common defense that actually is part of the POTUS' Oath of Office, but is occasionally abdicated by the temptation of playing politics. :cranky:

In Arizona, we provide proof of citizenship to get a driver's license. When I registered to vote, that was sufficient. When I vote at the polls, I present my driver's license and voter id card. Been that way for several years.
It is hard for me to understand this whole thing. I have voted in the same precinct for more than 40 years. When I walk in the poll worker knows me by name, and I know them. No documents are required, I don't have to show ID, and they give me a ballot and sometimes ask about my family. Is it not that way everywhere?

It is hard for me to understand this whole thing. I have voted in the same precinct for more than 40 years. When I walk in the poll worker knows me by name, and I know them. No documents are required, I don't have to show ID, and they give me a ballot and sometimes ask about my family. Is it not that way everywhere?
The lawsuit is because someone at the federal level wants to make it possible to register to vote, then vote without ID.
That's the case in a nutshell.
In the state of az, ID is required, although, like you, in my experience if I am known, they just hand me a ballot.

Is yer last name "Goldwater?" <giggle>

If one shows their proof of Citizenship when they register, why should they have to also do it when they vote?

Looks like that black supremacist bitch clarke filed the suit.

Ridiculous on the face of it. Real Americans ARE citizens or immigrants who become naturalized. No one else should be able to vote. That law would PROTECT our voting process and ensure trust in the American voting system. As usual, the Marxist elite in DC are trying to tear down this country. Fire that bitch.

Ridiculous on the face of it. Real Americans ARE citizens or immigrants who become naturalized. No one else should be able to vote. That law would PROTECT our voting process and ensure trust in the American voting system. As usual, the Marxist elite in DC are trying to tear down this country. Fire that bitch.
So, when the founders complained about taxation without representation, it was really just a bunch of horseshit.

So, when the founders complained about taxation without representation, it was really just a bunch of horseshit.
So, you consider America a foreign power? Are you even a citizen of the U.S.? You don't seem to understand American History. Hope you don't vote.

So, you consider America a foreign power? Are you even a citizen of the U.S.? You don't seem to understand American History. Hope you don't vote.
You are dumber than a box of flipping ass rocks. The colonists were NOT, I repeat, WERE NOT, British citizens, they were British SUBJECTS. Now piss off and never ever question my knowledge of American history again. And just to add a footnote, my family was here before there ever was a United States and we let the rest of you yahoos live here because most of the time you have the good sense to leave us the fawk alone.

You are dumber than a box of flipping ass rocks. The colonists were NOT, I repeat, WERE NOT, British citizens, they were British SUBJECTS. Now piss off and never ever question my knowledge of American history again. And just to add a footnote, my family was here before there ever was a United States and we let the rest of you yahoos live here because most of the time you have the good sense to leave us the fawk alone.
OH so the colonists didn't think they were being controlled by a foreign power? WTF? Sorry you lost.

Forum List

Back