U.K. PM Boris Johnson orders plans to end reliance on Chinese imports: report

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
If true, I at least give him some credit, though this is low hanging fruit compared to the broader risks of China beyond just PPE etc.

I've always presumed that he is weaker than he presents himself. Hopefully I am wrong. This is an encouraging sign.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has instructed civil servants to make plans to end Britain’s reliance on China for vital medical supplies and other strategic imports in light of the novel coronavirus outbreak, The Times newspaper reported on Friday.

The plans, which have been code-named “Project Defend,” include identifying Britain’s main economic vulnerabilities to potentially hostile foreign governments as part of a broader new approach to national security, the newspaper reported, adding that the efforts are being led by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.

Two working groups have been set up as part of the project, according to the report, with one source telling The Times that the aim was to diversify supply lines to no longer depend on individual countries for non-food essentials.

Mr. Johnson told lawmakers he would take steps to protect Britain’s technological base, with the government review also expected to include personal protective equipment and drugs, the report added.

The development comes as Beijing has been tackling mounting international criticism over its handling of the coronavirus outbreak, which began in China before spreading to the rest of the world.

The world is waking up and do the same. Maybe, China will start realizing what they have been doing all these years!

We have just signed up to Huawei. Its bullshit.

5G? Doesn't that virtually guarantee an end to the Five-Eyes cooperation and information sharing?

As I know BoJo, he probably heard from some industry bosses who urged the Covid-19 crisis not go to waste, and a bit of old-style protectionism might be a good start. It's going to be fun to see how quickly that effort collapses under a different set of industry bosses screaming their heads off over the predictable Chinese retaliation, in case their supply lines look shaky.

If true, I at least give him some credit, though this is low hanging fruit compared to the broader risks of China beyond just PPE etc.

I've always presumed that he is weaker than he presents himself. Hopefully I am wrong. This is an encouraging sign.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has instructed civil servants to make plans to end Britain’s reliance on China for vital medical supplies and other strategic imports in light of the novel coronavirus outbreak, The Times newspaper reported on Friday.

The plans, which have been code-named “Project Defend,” include identifying Britain’s main economic vulnerabilities to potentially hostile foreign governments as part of a broader new approach to national security, the newspaper reported, adding that the efforts are being led by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.

Two working groups have been set up as part of the project, according to the report, with one source telling The Times that the aim was to diversify supply lines to no longer depend on individual countries for non-food essentials.

Mr. Johnson told lawmakers he would take steps to protect Britain’s technological base, with the government review also expected to include personal protective equipment and drugs, the report added.

The development comes as Beijing has been tackling mounting international criticism over its handling of the coronavirus outbreak, which began in China before spreading to the rest of the world.

good to see the Brits are realizing the evil that is the Chinese Communist Party..

You’ll be happy to know your fellow Canadians are also seeing it too...

Forum List

Back