Tyson Plant Drops Labor Day for Muslim Holiday

Kiki Cannoli

Have you met my shadow?
May 27, 2011
Really south of the border
The workers negotiated the change. First I've heard of this...interesting turn of events.

"The negotiating committee made the holiday a top priority in contract talks," the union's Alabama and Mid-South Council Representative Randy Hadley said in a statement issued in June. "And we were able to get management to commit to it."
Tyson officials said the contract was agreed to by 80 percent of the union's 1,000 members at the plant.

Tyson Plant Drops Labor Day for Muslim Holiday - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Hmmm...did I read it right? Did they swap a paid Labor Day holiday for a paid Muslim holiday, but still have Labor Day as a holiday except unpaid now? If so, they gained an extra holiday while keeping the number of paid holidays the same. If I was a union stooge I guess I'd go for that, but would question why the move to unpay LD in favor of the Muslim holiday.

Hmmm...did I read it right? Did they swap a paid Labor Day holiday for a paid Muslim holiday, but still have Labor Day as a holiday except unpaid now? If so, they gained an extra holiday while keeping the number of paid holidays the same. If I was a union stooge I guess I'd go for that, but would question why the move to unpay LD in favor of the Muslim holiday.

Labor Day is just another work day for them. If the employee wants to take the day off it is unpaid.

Labor Day is just another work day for them. If the employee wants to take the day off it is unpaid.

No. That only lasted long enough for it to make the papers. They reinstated Labor Day as a holiday almost immediately. I still boycott them however, for the damage they have done to our community in their constant endeavor for cheap labor.

If hey are paid for a muslim holiday, it seems that would be a violation of the constitution. If it were a Christian holiday you would see all the satan worshipers crying the blues.

Every job that I have ever worked you were paid for the Christmas holiday.

Christmas is a Christian day of celebration .

So why should not the Muslims be allowed a day off for their religious holiday ? :cool:

Just another example of " Creeping Sharia" :eek:

Don't shoot ur load just yet.

Tyson Foods, Inc. did, in fact, agree to a contract with the Retail, Wholesale and Department Stores Union in mid-2008 providing workers in the company's Shelbyville, Tennessee poultry processing plant a paid day off on the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr instead of Labor Day. However, the contract was revised to reinstate Labor Day after a public outcry ensued.

Tyson Foods Drops Labor Day for Muslim Holiday - Urban Legends

sorry old boy, but the American people are not yet ready to have a Musllim holiday payed for.

So why should not the Muslims be allowed a day off for their religious holiday ? :cool:
Shouldn't get a holiday for a false religion, especially paid.

Shouldn't get a holiday for a false religion, especially paid.
I 100% agree with that.

Christianity is a false religion that no one should get paid for any of its holidays. :cool:

No. That only lasted long enough for it to make the papers. They reinstated Labor Day as a holiday almost immediately. I still boycott them however, for the damage they have done to our community in their constant endeavor for cheap labor.

Thank you for the update.

Forum List

Back